Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 10,483 times

Advertisements

we r a couple in our late 20 and early 30s .. going ot have family soon.i have job offers from various parts of tampa...work in retail so can get job almost anypart i want to work in.as far as cost of living is conserned we could manage 100-120 K per year.is tampa any better choice ??? not to mention i like hot and humid weather....please help folks ... please ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Have you been to Tampa? Visit first and then decide. Only you will know if it's right for you. What's right for one person is wrong for another. We first moved to the Tampa area when we moved to Florida. It was totally wrong for us. You know how most large cities have a ghetto area? Tampa is mostly ghetto. Most of it is not nice at all. I didn't like the area. We drove around and found an area we did like, the Daytona Beach area.

Wherever you go rent for a few months before buying. That way if you don't like it you can easily move elsewhere. Only buy once you find a place you really like.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:26 PM

59 posts, read 88,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Have you been to Tampa? Visit first and then decide. Only you will know if it's right for you. What's right for one person is wrong for another. We first moved to the Tampa area when we moved to Florida. It was totally wrong for us. You know how most large cities have a ghetto area? Tampa is mostly ghetto. Most of it is not nice at all. I didn't like the area. We drove around and found an area we did like, the Daytona Beach area.

Wherever you go rent for a few months before buying. That way if you don't like it you can easily move elsewhere. Only buy once you find a place you really like.
Yes, this is true. Tampa is ghetto. I live in Cape Coral and it's nice. When I lived in Orlando, I visited Daytona Beach and it's nice too. Nice atmosphere!!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
19 years in Tampa from NY, and still love this town. You can see my other posts, especially "Why Tampa"..but to each his own I always say...

Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
I was curious when I visited Tampa, South Tampa and that Davis Island, New Tampa, maybe some carrolwood, had nice neighborhoods, but so much of Tampa looked unkept looking. Its like that in Portland to an extent also, but I just was curious, one could not help but notice.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,556 times
The middle class-upscale areas in Tampa outweigh the slums. I will say, Tampa's "outer core" is problematic, but if you avoid that area, there are no problems. Downtown, Davis/Harbour Islands, Hyde Park, Channelside, and South Tampa are great. East Tampa, Drew Park, and Seminole heights are to be avoided. Carrollwood, Citrus Park, Wesley Chapel, and New Tampa are nice places as well. The area around USF is also shoddy, but the school itself is very nice.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM

89 posts, read 527,192 times
I would say most of florida is that way. Daytonna is certainly not better IMO. There are very nice parts to Tampa and there are bad parts. Just depends on where you live and where you work. A lot of what you see from the main highways and roads is crappy.

Orlando is certainly better kept, but inland. The only other large city in FL that I care for is Miami, but its much mroe expensive and vastly larger.

Your money goes pretty far in tampa, it has a large younger age group, and there are tons of activities to do. It has its down sides, but its a pretty good place if you pick the right part to live in.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 PM

286 posts, read 1,029,556 times
Miami has weather and crime problems, for sure. I love Orlando as well, but remember not all of it is clean (think Pine Hills, etc). The two cities largely cancel each other out, although Tampa seemingly has more to offer residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay