Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 255,233 times

Advertisements

just posing it out there.if this has been hashed out ,let me know.
i am at the beginning of planning a possible retirement down the not too distant future.
so,those who are in the know,if you had a choice over these two areas,in which to live/work,where would you go and why?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,494,572 times
Lucky for you they are totally different so the choice should be easy based on what you'd rather have. St. Aug is a smaller city with a ton of character and history. The pace of life there will be slower and you'll be a lot less crowed up in NE FL.

Tampa is very big and busy. There is a ton of sprawl and a ton of things to do.

The choice will end up being if you want a big city or a small one.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 PM

thanks gatornation

Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM

both have their advantages and disadvantages as we all know.i currently live in a small city in the northeast,but have not visited tampa nor st.augustine.i have been to florida in the past though.
i'm sure my girlfriend and i are going to have to go there to see for ourselves.
she's a little leery of the reputations hospitals down there are seeming to get.that's for another thread i'm sure.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,934,424 times
These two towns are apples and oranges. St. Augustine is small and very charming, and as you know on the Atlantic Coast. It is very much a tourist area inside the old part of the town, and doesn't really have the kind of "beaches" like we have on the Gulf Coast. I love visiting, but honestly think I would be bored living there.

Tampa is a much larger city, and is part of the "Tampa Bay area", so will have a lot to do, with proximity to fabulous beaches. It has its own history, and much more of an urban feel. So bottom line do you want big city or small town? Since I assume employment is not an issue I think it just comes down to personal preference. If employment is an issue, move to Tampa. And a note - regarding hurricanes and weather - despite what anyone ever tries to say here, weather is not that different between the two areas, including possibilities of hurricanes (which are a fact of life here in Florida)

Hope this helps!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 PM

592 posts, read 1,809,403 times
If you haven't already done so, I'd strongly suggest you visited both areas to get their "flavor" before committing to either one or the other. They are very different and will strike you differently. You would need to decide which had the best vibe for you.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM

hurricanes?i didn't know that!?!just kidding.do you stay and fight or do you evacuate?we've had our share of hurricanes up here,but they don't compare with what happens down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay