Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times

Advertisements

Ok guys-I would like some great info.

I decided to change my major from Law to Nursing. For me it's more realisitic because there is less schooling involved. I always wanted to be a nurse since I was 3 anyways....

So I have 3 more semesters before I can apply for Nursing school.

I would really LOVE to work at St. Joseph's Women's Hospital in the Mother/Baby unit. My experience there was really great, so I want to work there to continue on a wonderful experience for other moms.

Is there anyone that works there or has worked there-or even knows someone who does? Maybe even someone who has had an interview there before or has a lot of knowledge about it...?

I would like to know as much as I can. How many days do they work (4?)? Do the new employees get the overnight shift versus the ones who have senority? Things of this nature...

St. Jo's is ideal for me, but anyone with info on TGH, UCH, and Brandon (as much as I dread it, but I heard the Women's Hospital part is good)...

And it doesn't have to nessesarily be info on just the women's hospital part, but any other area of the hospitals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I can't advise you on the nursing. But, if I were a nurse living in Brandon, I would definitely consider the new Southbay Hospital going in at US 301 and Big Bend. They're moving dirt now. Here's a link for more info --> New Southbay Hospital on Big Bend (http://southbayhospital.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID=03CF0D09-DA85-4114-88F0-0DD61F963CAC - broken link).

Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks! I didn't even know they were building a new hospital!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I can't advise you on the nursing. But, if I were a nurse living in Brandon, I would definitely consider the new Southbay Hospital going in at US 301 and Big Bend. They're moving dirt now. Here's a link for more info --> New Southbay Hospital on Big Bend (http://southbayhospital.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID=03CF0D09-DA85-4114-88F0-0DD61F963CAC - broken link).

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
While I'm on a roll, there is a new mall being planned as well. They have their sign up on Big Bend just west of the I-75 exit 246 at Apollo Beach. Both mall and hospital should really help the entire Southshore area. The mall's website estimates an opening in Fall 2009, but the sign has 2010. More info in link following: Southshore Commons - Home Page (http://www.southshore-commons.com/ssh/ - broken link).

Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM

WOW-I guess this area's growing pretty quickly!

Is there anyone else with feedback on nursing?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Very tough, demanding, manually intensive, often thankless work. You often care for unappreciative patients/families in settings where you're likely to be understaffed. On the plus side, you'll likely never worry about finding employment. I suppose the salary is okay (see other threads about earning potential in nursing by critical care/nurse anesthetists). I've put in 20 yrs in the profession, think I've done well for my patients, but I'm seriously thinking about leaving for it good.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Is it that bad that you would want to leave it for good? I understand that the hours are really less than desirable, I mean 12 hours straight is a little grueling, but apparently anestetic nurses average around $113,000. I would rather be in the mother/baby unit, but then again I would re-consider for the greater pay...

Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Twelve hour shifts aren't that bad - I never did like night shifts as they would take their toll on your body because of the difficulty to get quality sleep. And if you don't exercise/eat right you'll suffer -

Becoming a nurse anesthetist usually requires the equivalent of a master's degree. Most programs require that you have some critical care experience being accepted into the program.

OB/L&D/Newborn Nursery was never my interest. Did my rotation in nursing school, that's about it. Some people like it because of the wellness aspect (unless there are complications/fetal demise, miscarriages, etc). They also like that patients go home on a predictable schedule, unlike a lot of medical-surgical patients.

Recommend earning a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from a strong school/program if you decide to enter the profession. You'll have more options/opportunities instead of opting for an associates degree. More earning potential as well.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
thanks for the link - I knew that SouthBay was going to build on Big Bend, but wasn't sure when it would actually start.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had all intentions of getting my bachelor's after working for about 6 months or so-if that. I know that after I get my AS from SPC, I can take online courses for my BS through SPC as well. It'll work out nicely. I even thought about pursuing my Master's after I get my bachelor's. I want to be more than qualified. Maybe I will start out in the mother/baby or something. You can apply for certain areas of the hospitals, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Twelve hour shifts aren't that bad - I never did like night shifts as they would take their toll on your body because of the difficulty to get quality sleep. And if you don't exercise/eat right you'll suffer -

Becoming a nurse anesthetist usually requires the equivalent of a master's degree. Most programs require that you have some critical care experience being accepted into the program.

OB/L&D/Newborn Nursery was never my interest. Did my rotation in nursing school, that's about it. Some people like it because of the wellness aspect (unless there are complications/fetal demise, miscarriages, etc). They also like that patients go home on a predictable schedule, unlike a lot of medical-surgical patients.

Recommend earning a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from a strong school/program if you decide to enter the profession. You'll have more options/opportunities instead of opting for an associates degree. More earning potential as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay