Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,052,981 times

Advertisements

I know someone who did OK by getting a few commercial accounts for strip malls and gas stations. It is hard to get started but once you get one acct it gets easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 PM

92 posts, read 348,504 times
If the reason you're moving to this area is for money, don't bother. You'll be sorry.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
You have to be realistic. First off the economy is lousy.

Second you will be considered an outsider. As I said earlier these businesses are a dime a dozen.

I know someone who owned a restaurant who closed and he went into landscaping thinking because he was well known from the restaurant he wouldn't have any trouble getting accounts.

Even though he is well known in the area, he is getting very little work.

And with gas prices rising again this business gets expensive to run.

And coming from up north you aren't going to be used to working in the Florida sun.

While you have the summer heat up north, you also get a break going into the fall.

Here you are still dealing with 90 degrees into November.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 10,281 times
I appreate the advice, is there a different part of florida that i should consider moving?

the reason for the move is simple, i dont wish to do snow removal anylonger. Its a pita, and if you hvaent done it big time, commecially ...please dont comment on that aspect , its the hardest job you will ever do

altho the business will be a new one, Im highly considering purchasing an existing one. on average i find 5- 8 per month , with at least 1 of them being a decent buy.

I ask about the money , becasue it does make that part easier.

I wouldnt expect the restruant guy to know anything about landscaping. I however do have 15 years into it. the plants are a little different , but nothing schooling cant change. and brick , block , hardscapes, concrete , stone work , and irrigation , is all the same in most aspecs.

as for the heat... well , im in iraq at this moment , myself and 7 other guys have built a total of 12 buildings in 6 weeks. its around 120 degrees

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 AM

It is rarely 90 degrees in Nov in Tampa, although it is hot during the summer it doesn't compare to Iraq but you have to take into account the thunderstorms every afternoon.

Some ppl like Tampa other's don't, so I wouldn't base my decision solely on a one person's perspective of Tampa. Having lived in Tampa 30 years, I know ppl who have done very well doing landscaping, pool cleaning and other service business and there are some who didn't do so well. You need to have money to live off of for a year anytime you open a business.

The hardest thing about landscape work is that you won't have a lot of work during the winter months, so you need to have corporate type accounts so you can plant flowers and upkeep flower beds during those months to get an income.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
It is rarely 90 degrees in Nov in Tampa, although it is hot during the summer it doesn't compare to Iraq but you have to take into account the thunderstorms every afternoon.

Some ppl like Tampa other's don't, so I wouldn't base my decision solely on a one person's perspective of Tampa. Having lived in Tampa 30 years, I know ppl who have done very well doing landscaping, pool cleaning and other service business and there are some who didn't do so well. You need to have money to live off of for a year anytime you open a business.

The hardest thing about landscape work is that you won't have a lot of work during the winter months, so you need to have corporate type accounts so you can plant flowers and upkeep flower beds during those months to get an income.
got the cash for the year, plus the cash for a buy out, plus have the abilty to collect unemplyeement if i want. Also already have all the equiptment needed to support up to 3 seperate crews-flat out paid for

the humitidy and daily thunderstrom is a big killer. Also i heard a few guys that do alot of grass cutting saying that because the grass is a thinker bladed grass, they have the need to sharper there blades more often. one guy even said he would change his on site half way thru the day ? Altho i question his blade tip speed on his mower at that point, as well as what else he might be running over

would you consider a different area ...closer to clear whater, orlando , st peters? the only reason i picked the tampa area, im fimiliar with it. I have famil that lives on dauphin island , so its not too fare for them to drive over on there boat for a weekend

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Uh.. Dauphin island is pretty far from Tampa. I don't recall how long it took my family to go from Clearwater to Tampa but it was a good day/night drive because they didn't go across the gulf plus they didn't have a speed boat.

I never heard of anyone having to change their blades that often for normal yards. The grass is St. Augustine probably.
I would not recommend Orlando because it is hotter there than in Tampa Bay during the summer. You also have a larger area to chose from in TB. You can go from Sarasota to Tarpon Springs to Wesley chapel to Brandon.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,918 times
You sound like you are well equipped for the job in hand, and Tampa Bay seems the most sensible location if you are thinking about whizzing over to Dauphin Island by boat, as it's the largest connurbation on the Gulf Coast. Though I have to say Pensacola/Panama City are pretty large areas too, not so big as here though. Tallahassee is another consideration, that's less hot year round, but summers are very warm still, however overall, if you are not considering the Miami/Dade areas, or Jacksonville area, we are the best shot for numbers.

Take a look at Craigs List and Business Brokers of Florida, and Loopnet for these businesses for sale, if you have not already. It's harder working with brokers to find a business. Remember generally if you are buying through a broker for a business, they are working for the seller and not you, it's a bit different to residential sales, and it's up to you to do all the due diligence, so get someone good to work for you on that side.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
You sound like you are well equipped for the job in hand, and Tampa Bay seems the most sensible location if you are thinking about whizzing over to Dauphin Island by boat, as it's the largest connurbation on the Gulf Coast. Though I have to say Pensacola/Panama City are pretty large areas too, not so big as here though. Tallahassee is another consideration, that's less hot year round, but summers are very warm still, however overall, if you are not considering the Miami/Dade areas, or Jacksonville area, we are the best shot for numbers.

Take a look at Craigs List and Business Brokers of Florida, and Loopnet for these businesses for sale, if you have not already. It's harder working with brokers to find a business. Remember generally if you are buying through a broker for a business, they are working for the seller and not you, it's a bit different to residential sales, and it's up to you to do all the due diligence, so get someone good to work for you on that side.

iv been watching craiglist as well as a few other industry specific places. the boating deal is simpley because my aunt owns a chartering service with a few large boats. ...just a thought among many . It seemed the tampa was a decent choice with mulitple other sities close by , just in case one area doesnt work out

Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 PM

You might want to consider Mobile if you want to be close to family. Mobile was rated as a top city for recession recovery in Forbes mag this week. They have a new steel factory and a call center starting up soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay