Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times

Advertisements

I plan to attend either the University of Tampa or Florida Southern College next year, and I will be moving from Pittsburgh, PA. My mom and I have looked around at apartments for me, but I would look to know what is the best area to live in? I've heard so much negativity things about Tampa, and it does scare me. Where I live right now if a safe place. We don't lock our doors, and don't really worry about crime, so that would be a change for me. I've never lived in a big city, but I don't think I would mind living in Tampa that much, as long as it's somewhat safe. Lakeland seems to be like where I live now. Not a big city, and lots of trees. So I would prefer an apartment someone more like Lakeland. Even if I did end up living in Lakeland, I wouldn't mind commuiting to UT. So anyways, is there anywhere else around that area that I should be looking into? What are the best apartments, or condos for rent in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM

26 posts, read 91,550 times
First, you'll need to lock your doors no matter where you live in Florida. We have a high percentage of poor foreign/illegal workers who don't tend to be violent or cause problems just want to make a living - but they will steal. Having said that there are plenty of american thugs who will steal from you AND hurt you. Crime tends to get worse in Tampa and urban areas. Suburbs are better, country better, but still need to lock up and think smart.

I live in Valrico, just 20 minutes east of Tampa. Love it here, close enough to all I want, beaches just an hour drive, Orlando an hour away, Tampa downtown is just 30 minutes on the crosstown. But you pay 75 cents each way. Will take you right in and a few blocks south of UT.
Brandon/Valrico has more of a nice community feel than anywhere in Tampa. UCF puts you in a more rural and very small town type of area. So many choices and lots of Tree'd areas. But you'll be in rural Fl and that's a very different flavor, slower pace, country values, etc. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 PM

26 posts, read 91,550 times
Default Polk County

Forgot to mention Polk is the meth capital of the south east. So they have their problems too.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 PM

97 posts, read 351,479 times
sheshopsalot: Very good post, thank you for that info.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 AM

20 posts, read 73,738 times
i moved from pittsburgh to tampa to attend USF for grad school this past fall, but moved back to pittsburgh temporarily in the spring. tampa is florida, so it's a MUCH difference place than the steel city. very flat, very humid, VERY spread out (much larger area than it seems from a map), and very beautiful in many places.

i don't know anything about lakeland, but if you're going to attend florida southern, then it's the obvious choice. but i would NOT commute from lakeland to UT - just too far, especially with traffic near the school depending on the time of day. i lived in carrollwood off dale mabry and bearss, which was a nice area. you could also check out the peninsula, which has some safe places i think although i've never been there. do NOT live anywhere near USF or busch gardens - from florida avenue east.

living in tampa is great, in my view. i'll be back there, more than likely. the crime is a factor (being a big city in florida), but if you use common-sense all the time, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay