U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 AM

96 posts, read 711,360 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from any of you St. Pete residents who actually live right on the beach.

I'm talking about full-on, literally "having the Gulf of Mexico as your front yard," living-on-the-beach here.

If your answer is yes, how do you find that living so close to the water differs from living a bit more inland?

Are there certain factors that you feel make your "on the beach" living choice better? Or perhaps worse? Or perhaps some combination of factors to consider?

What about those times of the year when there are the most tourists in your area? How does that effect your life, or does it not effect you at all? (And as an aside question, exactly which months are considered to be the height of the tourist season there?).

I am interested in possibly buying a condo located directly on either St. Pete Beach or Treasure Island. I am trying to get a feel for how practical an idea that is for my wife and myself. I have lived in two different places in Florida in the past, but never right on the beach, immersed in that world 24/7. But I do love beach culture and all of the things that come with it, so I think I have some idea of what to expect, but would like to hear from others.

Your thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,917,702 times
For starters, St. Petersburg isn't on the beach. St. Pete Beach is a separate municipal entity. St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island are both nice areas. I'm not much of a beach guy, but I always enjoy going through those two places. If I ever had to live on/block or two away from the beach, I would try and find a place in the Pass-A-Grille neighborhood of St. Pete Beach.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 182,211 times
I have experienced living right on the beach. I used to live in a condo on Indian Shores right on the beach. I moved away from there in 2000 but my mother-n-law has a condo on Sunset Beach so I spent a lot of time out there especially in the summer. I really enjoyed living on the beach. It is very laid back life style. There are plenty of bars and restaurants up and down Gulf Blvd. And to me, sunsets never get old. I guess one of the drawbacks of living out there is that it is far away from town. If you have to drive into downtown St. Pete or Tampa for work, it is a hike.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM

737 posts, read 2,489,439 times
If you're not close to a beach bar or municipal parking area you can expect semi-solitude. Appliances, computer, electronics period, they all get a beating on the beach - saltwater. It matters very little if your house/condo is closed up - get extended warranties. The beach communities are somewhat more transient than inland communities but that is what gives it flavor and makes it more interesting. If you like beach activities you will not be disappointed. Even if you don't care much for beach activities, I've found that the sound of the waves, the "white" noise and the remarkable scenery offset replacing appliances more frequently than living inland. Treasure Island is different than Pass-a-Grille, bit more laid back. Can't speak to St. Pete Beach but the northern barrier island beaches are home to a lot of condos making the communities slightly more transient... transient meaning a good thing - lots of visitors and meeting new people from all over. Hurricanes are treated a bit differently than inland because you can count on flooding if you don't have adequate berms, seagrass, etc. Can't say I've met anyone on the beach who didn't have their plan B ready for storm season.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

And for the record, I've done my research and am aware that the City of St. Petersburg and St. Pete Beach are two seperate entities. (I titled my post that way in order to attract those who live in the general area).

So far, all of the listings for condos that I have found seem to be in Treasure Island. I've only found one listing for a St. Pete Beach condo, and none at all in Pass-a-Grille.

Can anyone answer my questions above about tourist season?

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-04-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Added clarification

Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM

Tourist season never impacted me due to working from home. That said, quite a few of the part-time residents came in after December, spending about 4 months. Some were in for the winter starting in November but obviously, the colder months mean more people. Never heard anyone complain about traffic issues but I'm sure it picks up during the winter. Frankly, I would rather have a commute and come home to the beach versus a commute to an inland location - just me.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Tourist season never impacted me due to working from home. That said, quite a few of the part-time residents came in after December, spending about 4 months. Some were in for the winter starting in November but obviously, the colder months mean more people. Never heard anyone complain about traffic issues but I'm sure it picks up during the winter. Frankly, I would rather have a commute and come home to the beach versus a commute to an inland location - just me.
Thanks for your input. Traffic seems to be a headache in any city of any size and I've grown about as used to it as one can get, I suppose.

My main reason for asking about the tourist season was in order to gauge just how crowded the beaches may get during those times, and also, whether the stores, restaurants, and other venues fill up considerably with all the tourist influx. (Some people can find that sort of thing annoying, but I personally, welcome new faces in my favorite places, to state it poetically).

Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 AM

Yes, definitely more crowded on the beach - BUT - if you don't reside near a beach bar, public parking or public venue, you're okay. Most people are not going to walk in the heat to seek a "private" area. Quite honestly, during holiday weekends the beaches - some, not all - can get crowded, just depends on where you're located. During storms, if the surf is high (Florida high, not Hawaii), the surfers will be out. All very do-able from a resident perspective, IMO.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Yes, definitely more crowded on the beach - BUT - if you don't reside near a beach bar, public parking or public venue, you're okay. Most people are not going to walk in the heat to seek a "private" area. Quite honestly, during holiday weekends the beaches - some, not all - can get crowded, just depends on where you're located. During storms, if the surf is high (Florida high, not Hawaii), the surfers will be out. All very do-able from a resident perspective, IMO.
Again, thank you very much. That really helps.

And when the surfers are out, well, you can bet that I would most definitely be out there with them. Part of the reason why I want to live on the water is because I love to surf, swim, and beachcomb.

Cheers.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,917,702 times
The only annoyingly bad traffic is (in my opinion) in Clearwater from downtown to the Clearwater Beach roundabout. Fortunately, that's at the complete opposite end of where you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay