Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM

38 posts, read 151,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroh View Post
The ripple comes when the "poor folk" making a measly 140k a year need to find greener pastures and come grazing in other parts of the country.
Got news for ya pal...... I live in NY now.....I have two master degrees and I do not make anything close to 140k. My friends are CPAs in Manhattan and a vice president of HSBC bank and they do not make near 140k. However, the REAL ripple effect is people trying to make a better life for their families. That is what forces people to move.
When I move my wife will not have to work and I will be able to buy a new house as oppose staying here in NY and not being able to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 PM

416 posts, read 2,505,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Why do people try and justifyl the mess in Florida with the stupidity of New York, California and all the other overpriced areas? This is Florida, the land of low wages and sunshine. Stop defending the crooks here and become part of the solution!!
Thank you!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 AM

37 posts, read 219,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINS View Post
Got news for ya pal...... I live in NY now.....I have two master degrees and I do not make anything close to 140k. My friends are CPAs in Manhattan and a vice president of HSBC bank and they do not make near 140k. However, the REAL ripple effect is people trying to make a better life for their families. That is what forces people to move.
When I move my wife will not have to work and I will be able to buy a new house as oppose staying here in NY and not being able to do so.
I didn't mean literally 140k. I cut the NYT article "median" income in half. I was being sarcastic.

And that "real ripple" is exactly what I said...people that make "nothing" in one area may be considered to make "a lot" of money in another...so they move for a better quality of life. The modest house I bought in Tampa would be several million dollars in Manhattan.

I think some of the responders on this topic are missing the point though...they seem to think that NY and CA are "insane", but Florida is due to "crooks". However, it's obvious it's not an "us and them" issue. The complaints are almost exactly the same in many parts of the country...the details may vary, but all come down to same result...the cost of living has shot up out of control and people can't afford to maintain the same standard of living.

The middle class is under attack and to not observe the cost of living trends and patterns at a national level is a mistake.

Besides, last time I checked, Tampa had some very "NY" type "luxury condo" projects going on in Channel Side. I hope Tampa can continue to attract big biz to the city. Yes, it causes change and can be abused, but in the end, things that don't change, die.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 AM

38 posts, read 151,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroh View Post

The middle class is under attack and to not observe the cost of living trends and patterns at a national level is a mistake.
I agree with you on your post but you have one thing wrong and I think you will agree with me. The above quote is wrong. Due to the economics in the United States there is a phasing out of the middle class. Soon for sure there will be the "haves" and the "have nots". The big businessmen get richer and richer and anyone else scurries to make ends meat. Either you have to be a political corrupt figure or some type of successful business person to make the almighty dollar.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM

25 posts, read 136,199 times
Florida enacted a law in October that would implement property tax cuts if voters approve a revised, proposed state constitutional amendment that is on the Jan. 29 presidential primary ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: