Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,664 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating next June to Tampa from Syracuse, Ny. I am a resident physician and will be working for 2 years at Tampa General. Work should be 6-6. I was hoping to get some recommendations on the best places to live in Tampa. I was looking for something within 15-20 minutes max commute to Tampa General as I am going to be on call very frequently. Are there any newer, gated communities where I can rent a home (a pool is bonus!) that fit the above criteria? My budget would be in the $1100-1400 range. No kids yet so no worry about schools! So far I was looking at Brandon.....Any good places on Davis Island itself?

Much thanks in advance!

Captain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
Depending on how much you want to spend there are plenty of apts on Davis Island. Most of them are older buildings but many have been updated. It is a very safe area and you could walk to work. There are also apts on Bayshore near Davis Island. There are also more expensive apts on Harbor Island and Channelside which are still very close to Tpa General.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM

61 posts, read 187,482 times
Davis Island is beautiful but you'd be looking at a condo in that price range. Brandon is an easy commute to TGH, as is Riverview or South Tampa.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,550,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captattack View Post
Hello, I am relocating next June to Tampa from Syracuse, Ny. I am a resident physician and will be working for 2 years at Tampa General. Work should be 6-6. I was hoping to get some recommendations on the best places to live in Tampa. I was looking for something within 15-20 minutes max commute to Tampa General as I am going to be on call very frequently. Are there any newer, gated communities where I can rent a home (a pool is bonus!) that fit the above criteria? My budget would be in the $1100-1400 range. No kids yet so no worry about schools! So far I was looking at Brandon.....Any good places on Davis Island itself?

Much thanks in advance!

Captain.
Capt., sorry to say there are very few gated or new communities within 15-20 minutes of TGH. The closest to the hospital in your price range will be a townhouse or condo in Hyde Park, but they're older and hard to get, not gated and no pool.

In Brandon, I'd suggest you try to stay within the area around Lumsden and the Selmon Crosstown Expressway. There are some newer townhouse communities with a pool, e.g., Valhalla, Ventana, Vista Cay. (What's up with all those V's? )

There are also some newer townhouses at Bloomingdale Villages (Bloomingdale and 301) which would be fairly convenient for your commute as well.

Either way, if you choose a privately owned rental, ask questions and be as sure as possible that the owner/landlord is on-time with their payments. Like many other Florida cities, there are foreclosures and lots of vacancies saturating the housing market. A lease will survive a sale, but not a foreclosure

Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,664 times
Default Appreciated

thank you for the quick and helpful replies. I have started looking in the Brandon, Riverview area, and see some options with single family homes. I plan on bringing a dog and with the beautiful weather, really would look forward to having a backyard. I assume its better to rent than to buy as I will likely be there for only 2-3 years?

Captain.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
I'd rent a condo on Harbour Island. Close to work/short commute. As a physician, will you have time to take care of a pool/yard?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM

61 posts, read 187,482 times
I'm probably biased since I am a Realtor by profession but I'd say buy if you can get something a low price, in 2-3 years it will appreciate and you can sell, or keep it as an investment and rent it out.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,435 times
Moving to the area in mid August and looking for something inexpensive in Tampa Bay area any suggestions out there?

Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,971,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK-Adalia View Post
I want to rent a room which is walking distance to TGH/USF facility on Davis Island. It will be available April 2016. Let me know if you are interested.
I'm sure that, six years later, they managed to find a place.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM

769 posts, read 823,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LianeJamason View Post
I'm probably biased since I am a Realtor by profession but I'd say buy if you can get something a low price, in 2-3 years it will appreciate and you can sell, or keep it as an investment and rent it out.
This is an old post, curios how that worked out for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay