U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,287,874 times

Advertisements

Ok, ok. Let's not go around bashing the bad things coming from the far east (to prevent offending anyone-my family is from the far east-however from Mongolia and Korea-but still...it's the principle).

Now, back on topic...

Yes, the chinese drywall-it is a problem in Riverwalk-we are purchasing a home there as we speak, however my home was not effected by it...as far as we know (the home inspector will do a thorough check). It is a very upsetting thing though considering all of the drywall and wiring and pipes need to be replaced from this...what a shame...

And mold in Riverview homes? Mold can be anywhere-especially here in Florida-anywhere in Fl. and anywhere period. Remember, Florida has a lot of humidity-great forming weather for mold. Keep your home at a moderate temp. and you should be ok-wipe any condensation from windows. Make sure the home is not too full of moisture.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 PM

30 posts, read 77,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Search4Justice View Post
Does anyone know if homes built as early as 1996 could have this problem?
It would be a candidate is the home was remodeled during the mid-2000's, and the contractor used chinese drywall. If it wasn't remodeled, then most likely, no.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM

2,390 posts, read 788,120 times
So I just got an inspector that specializes in Chinese Drywall to check out my house for the symptoms and he said according to the State of Florida standards I have Chinese Drywall. All the wires in my outlets are black and all the copper coils in my air conditioning unit are solid black and there is still that faint rotten egg smell. I live in Riverview and live in the Rivercrest Subdivision and the inspector said my next step was to get an attorney. Not sure if I should get an attorney that will handle my individual case or get an attorney that is currently in a class action lawsuit.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 PM

196 posts, read 540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward6923 View Post
I know you can do self mold test in your home. they sell them at home depot/lowes/and stores comparable. they are pretty cheap ($20-25) and accurate.
Mold is not the problem here so save your money.
Defective Chinese drywall emits noxious gases that cause not only the corrosive results on wiring and copper coils in air conditioners but also serious health issues may result. Strontium sulfide, a toxic substance has been traced to the drywall but the why it's there is the unknown. I, for one, don't need to know the why it's in my house, just get it out.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 AM

61 posts, read 168,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
So I just got an inspector that specializes in Chinese Drywall to check out my house for the symptoms and he said according to the State of Florida standards I have Chinese Drywall. All the wires in my outlets are black and all the copper coils in my air conditioning unit are solid black and there is still that faint rotten egg smell. I live in Riverview and live in the Rivercrest Subdivision and the inspector said my next step was to get an attorney. Not sure if I should get an attorney that will handle my individual case or get an attorney that is currently in a class action lawsuit.
Hey 350z - we have a 370Z! If it were me, I'd at least consult with an attorney on an individual case because I doubt the class action will result in as much money individually, and you won't be able to sell that home unless the chinese drywall is remediated. Has the builder offered to do anything? I live next door in Lakeside.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianeJamason View Post
Hey 350z - we have a 370Z!
The 370z is very nice. Still haven't seen too many on the road. I have seen a yellow one driving around on 75 a few times.

Quote:
If it were me, I'd at least consult with an attorney on an individual case because I doubt the class action will result in as much money individually, and you won't be able to sell that home unless the chinese drywall is remediated. Has the builder offered to do anything? I live next door in Lakeside.
We have talked to a few attorney's now but have not decided who to go with. The only problem with the attorney that will handle the case on an individual basis is that they charge around $300 per hour which could get very expensive. The builder is still in business but they are not building homes anymore. I did see an article where Hillsborough County is giving a property tax break on victims of CDW so I will definitely look into that.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM

265 posts, read 891,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The only person who makes money in a class action suit is the attorney. You should first contact your builder. If they aren't an option, you should contact a real estate attorney. I'm having my home re mediated starting next week, the builder is taking care of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM

26,835 posts, read 41,674,403 times
HO affected will get a tax deduction or credit in Hillsborough County...That is what I read earlier this week

Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 AM

61 posts, read 168,223 times
I would try to find an attorney who will work on a contingency and take a percentage only if you win - did you try Holland and Knight? I heard they are doing Chinese Drywall cases now. This is of course if your builder won't fix the problem.

That yellow 370Z is ours! It's the only one in Hillsborough County as far as I know!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianeJamason View Post
I would try to find an attorney who will work on a contingency and take a percentage only if you win - did you try Holland and Knight? I heard they are doing Chinese Drywall cases now. This is of course if your builder won't fix the problem.

That yellow 370Z is ours! It's the only one in Hillsborough County as far as I know!
Thanks for the info. Haven't tried Holland but I will give them a call. I will try and see if the attorney will work on contingency.

BTW I have a modified silver 350z. I'll honk next time I see ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay