U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM

196 posts, read 540,052 times

Advertisements

Good piece on this topic in todays Times, worth the read. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/bu...rywall.html?em
Rate this post positively

Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,283,111 times
Well, I am purchasing a home in Riverwalk. I will be closing at the end of the month. For those of you who know me on here-you know I have been waiting 10 months for this! I just got my keys on my birthday (10/7). I went there for the first time in 10 mons. You should see it! The home right next to mine (in the next building) is ripped apart! A lot of homes in there are. There are contractors everywhere in there! Luckily my home was spared...

Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,283,111 times
It's Forida...mold can happen anywhere there is too much moisture in the air. That's why it's not good to never run your a/c-you WILL run into mold issues...it never fails. Too much humidity here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleggedbabydol View Post
does anyone know if there's mold in the riverview area homes....

Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM

2,220 posts, read 746,426 times
So my builder sent their own inspector to come out and inspect the property and he said we have it too so they sent some samples in for testing so we are just waiting to hear back on what the remediation is going to be.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,750,047 times
BAY NEWS 9 -- Some Florida residents are losing their homeowners' insurance because of Chinese drywall.

About 36,000 homes in the state have Chinese drywall, which can cause electrical issues and health problems.

Many homeowners have filed claims trying to get the damage fixed, but most insurance companies are denying those claims because policies don't cover contamination or building materials.

Some people who filed claims are being notified their policies won't be renewed unless repairs are made.

Some homebuilders, but not all, have taken on the cost of gutting and re-building homes.

The cost of repairing a home with Chinese drywall can be as much as $100,000.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Feds: Chinese Drywall Reports Inconclusive

Feds: Chinese Drywall Reports Inconclusive - CBS News

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=axHNwZQ0vkGg

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-cpsc-chinese-drywall-103009,0,3972634.story

(CBS/AP) Federal studies released Thursday cannot yet definitively link imported Chinese drywall to health problems or corrosion of pipes and wires that thousands of U.S. homeowners have been reporting for nearly a year.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is leading the multi-agency investigation, said it needs to further study the matter before it can consider a recall, ban or other solutions to help affected homeowners. Additional results from ongoing studies were due to be released next month.

"The expansive investigation and scientific work that has been done and continues to be carried out is all aimed at providing answers and solutions," Lori Saltzman, a director in the CPSC's Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction, said Thursday. "No connections have been made yet."

Saltzman said the agency, which has so far spent $3.5 million on the studies, has received nearly 1,900 homeowner complaints during one of its largest consumer product investigations in U.S. history.

"We understand this problem has literally driven people from their homes," she said.

Homeowners, however, were frustrated by a lack of answers.

"So many of us have been really waiting on these results released today to offer us encouragement, but in fact, we're quite disappointed," said Holly Krulik, of Parkland, Fla., about 45 miles north of Miami.

Krulik and her husband, Doug, along with their two young children, moved in with her parents about six months ago because she says the Chinese wallboard in their home was making them sick and ruining the house.

"We're hanging on by a thread here. When is help going to arrive?" said Krulik, who will soon join hundreds of others who have filed lawsuits.

Thousands of homeowners like the Kruliks who bought new houses built with the potentially defective materials are finding their lives in limbo as the lawsuits against builders, contractors, suppliers and manufacturers wind through the courts.

During the height of the U.S. housing boom, with building materials in short supply, American construction companies imported millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it was abundant and cheap.

A document obtained by CBS News shows that by 2006, 228 million kilograms - about 500 million pounds - was imported into the U.S. from 20 companies in China.

They are heavily concentrated in the Southeast, especially Florida and areas of Louisiana and Mississippi hit hard by Hurricane Katrina.

The defective materials have since been found by state and federal agencies to emit "volatile sulfur compounds." Officials have also found traces of strontium sulfide, which can produce a rotten-egg odor, along with organic compounds not found in American-made drywall. Homeowners complain the fumes are corroding copper pipes, destroying TVs and air conditioners, blackening jewelry and silverware, and making them sick.

And some homeowners are reporting that their insurance companies are dropping or refusing to renew their policies based on the presence of the wallboard in their houses, putting them at risk of foreclosure.

The federal test results released Thursday largely confirmed what prior testing had found. The multiple agencies investigating, including the CPSC, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, acknowledged the reported health symptoms are consistent with some sort of contamination. But the culprit is unclear.

The Chinese government is assisting with the investigation.

"We're prepared to work with our partners across government on remediation and rehousing families impacted by this problem and to help families whose homes have lost value," said Dr. Warren Friedman of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

In the meantime, he suggested affected homeowners contact their lenders for assistance or seek help through local grant programs, but he could not yet say what sort of federal help might be offered.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:53 PM

190 posts, read 596,806 times
maybe that will teach us to buy american

Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM

265 posts, read 890,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
maybe that will teach us to buy american
Actually the main component of drywall is gypsum, which is a byproduct of coal burning power plants. Guess who supplies much of China's sulfur laden coal?

That's right, the good ole USA does. EPA restrictions dont allow the burning of high sulfur coal here in the states, so we ship it overseas where restrictions arent so tight. The high sulfur coal was burned in China and the resultant high sulfur gypsum was made into the very toxic drywall I'm having removed from my home right now.

So to your comment, in a manner of speaking we sold our garbage to the Chinese who cleverly sold it right back to us. So for all intents and purposes, we did buy American. How about that for irony?

Last edited by wiltznucs; 11-02-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM

81 posts, read 285,927 times
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
actually the main component of drywall is gypsum, which is a byproduct of coal burning power plants. Guess who supplies much of china's sulfur laden coal?

That's right, the good ole usa does. Epa restrictions dont allow the burning of high sulfur coal here in the states, so we ship it overseas where restrictions arent so tight. The high sulfur coal was burned in china and the resultant high sulfur gypsum was made into the very toxic drywall i'm having removed from my home right now.

So to your comment, in a manner of speaking we sold our garbage to the chinese who cleverly sold it right back to us. So for all intents and purposes, we did buy american. How about that for irony?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Health regulators puzzled by tainted drywall tests

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-chinese-drywall-conference-20091105,0,5429290.story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay