U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 AM

265 posts, read 889,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm looking into this system that claims to remove the gases without removing the drywall. Chinese drywall solution, RISS System, RISS Drywall, sulfur gas contaminants
These fogs, filters, and coating have been proven to totally ineffective and in many cases exaggerate the off-gassing. They are a scam, and you should steer away...
Rate this post positively

Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM

2,089 posts, read 712,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
Good info, keep it coming.

My home is going through remediation as we speak. A couple of lessons learned, first off the companies doing the remediation are crooks. They say they will have the home tested for remnant drywall and sulfur contamination before beginning the rebuild. This is not so, be sure to demand to see the test results first or they will simply strip the home, wait a week and start to rebuild

Another problem is having no access to your home. Thats right, even though your paying the note your home lock is changed and you will not have access. The builder says this is for safety and liability.

With stripping the home some structural items will be damaged, particularly the studs. My builder proceeded to rewire the home and hang duct work from these damaged studs. The builder states they changed them after I pointed it out, but to be honest I really dont believe them.

Additionally, expect all your appliances and fixtures to be stolen. All of mine were left in the home to be inspected and possibly reused. A week later, they were all gone. Washer, dryer, freezer, fridge, range, oven, microwave, ceiling fans, and light fixtures... all gone. The builder said they filed a police report, little do they no I inquired about it and found no such report was filed. Why? The truth is the builder prefers the items disappear. Storing these items for evidence until a lawsuit is settled costs money, money the builder would rather not spend. Now we get to haggle out new replacement vs diminished value on the items corroded by the drywall. You should clarify that all items be replaced with an as new comparable replacement or paid full as new market value for the items.

I've been out of my home since September, the builder indicates it may be as late as March before were back in.
OMG that is terrible. I hope things work out for you. Did you ever hire a lawyer through this entire process? I have a laywer and hopefully having one will help in moving along my remediation process in a timely and stress free manner.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM

559 posts, read 1,249,958 times
With the weight of dry wall, tell me how can it be more economical to ship it to the USA vs buying it already made in the USA? This is one "gottcha" that the Chinese should never have been able to pull on Americans.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
OMG that is terrible. I hope things work out for you. Did you ever hire a lawyer through this entire process? I have a laywer and hopefully having one will help in moving along my remediation process in a timely and stress free manner.
I did consult three attorneys and all of them recommended proceeding with the remediation offer given to us by the builder. The attorney's logic was you could fight it out which would take several months or years plus thousands of dollars; and all the while continue living in a toxic home. Or you could take the offer and make the most of it, as the attorneys I consulted didnt think they could get much more than our builder was offering.

I'm sure each builders offer if you have one is different, be sure to pay attention to the details and be involved in the rebuild.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,535 times
I would if you really are worried about mold, have a mold test done in all or areas of the house were you may think is affected. The test by a licensed contractor should not be more than a $100.00 and can have results within 5 days or so..

Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,825,878 times
Folks, please look into this: Problem Drywall (http://www.sabretechservices.com/drywall/ - broken link)

I spoke to one of their techs who gave me a very thorough explanation of how their chlorine dioxide system completely neutralizes the sulfur compounds. His name is Vince Harrison. The cost is $15-20 a sq.ft. with a complete guarantee. Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Folks, please look into this: Problem Drywall (http://www.sabretechservices.com/drywall/ - broken link)

I spoke to one of their techs who gave me a very thorough explanation of how their chlorine dioxide system completely neutralizes the sulfur compounds. His name is Vince Harrison. The cost is $15-20 a sq.ft. with a complete guarantee. Hope this helps.
I did a search and I can find no credible proof this system works outside of media distributed by the manufacturer of the technology.

Even if the chlorine dioxide system does neutralize the Chinese drywall's sulfur contaminants it does not remedy all the metallic items which have already been corroded and that will continue to corrode. This would include wires, pipes, vents, and other appliances. In order to completely re mediate a CDW home one must remove the corroded wires and pipes, I would assume that this will require the drywall be torn out.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin ("KPT") had intervened and agreed to defend given the lawsuit against Taishan, but suddenly withdrew from the case on Thursday after the Court refused to allow KPT to introduce testimony regarding an "environmental control system which KPT argued could be used instead of removing drywall. The trial will proceed on Friday, February 19, 2010, but there will be no defense, no cross-examination and no defense
witnesses.

http://www.chinesedrywall.com/files/kpt_ORDER.pdf

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Updates on Chinese Drywall Cases:

Summary from New Orleans:

Over the last two weeks, we have been successful in completing the groundwork that normally takes almost six months to complete. Plaintiffs and Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin (KPT)) worked together diligently as: over 14 full-day depositions were taken; Motions to strike (and to limit the testimony of experts) were prepared and argued before the court; and finally, the first day of trial is now completed. As many of you know, on the day before the commencement of trial, KPT withdrew from the proceedings, leaving Plaintiffs to put on their case with no counsel or representative for KPT present. Ultimately, only KPT and their counsel really know why they withdrew. However, it is obvious to us here in New Orleans that our successive string of legal victories in requesting the court to restrict KPT’s defense was the reason for their withdrawal.

It had become apparent that KPT’s defense was going to be two-fold. First, they sought to introduce expert testimony suggesting all they had to do was remove the defective drywall (but not the other drywall or wires), and put in a “super” air conditioning system they called “ECS” that would "resolve" the problem. They also defended our estimation of the cost of remediation by submitting expert reports contesting our cost basis.

The PSC filed motions to strike the testimony of their experts based upon the contention that the system advocated by KPT to identify the defective drywall was flawed, and resulted in too many cases where CDW was left in the house. The judge granted that motion (and another) that found that the “ECS” system was experimental at best, and not sanctioned by any governmental or other agency findings. These two rulings eviscerated KPT’s case. It was clear that KPT had no defense to present, and thus it was not surprising when they packed their bags and fled.

Two things should be noted: 1) KPT has been here through their counsel for the entire first day monitoring the testimony; 2) the court’s rulings (because of the nature of the MDL proceedings) will be difficult for the defendants to overcome in cases tried here, and will probably be persuasive to any other judges that try these types of cases in the future, unless the defendants are able to improve their methods.

Today, Richard Serpe, counsel for the Virginia plaintiffs, and Russ Herman, liaison counsel for the PSC, both took part in opening statements. The first witness was one of the Plaintiffs, and the second and third were witnesses from Beazer Homes. The witnesses testified about the remediation process being conducted on homes in Fort Myers and Tampa, and their reasons for doing so. They were followed by the testimony of Dr. John Scully, one of the premier corrosive science experts in the nation, from the University of Virginia.

One of the more esoteric, but very important issues, raised by the defense is the contention that if the CDW is removed, the copper does not need to be replaced. Dr. Scully testified about his extensive background and experience and explained that the copper is being consumed by the sulfur as it converts it to CuS2. In his opinion, the off-gassing from the Chinese drywall has created an extremely corrosive atmosphere that is sure to lead to failure. He further testified that even if the CDW is removed, the corrosion will continue unless all of the corrosion is removed first.

One of the other plaintiffs, Mr. McKellar, then took the stand and explained his family's situation to the court.

The last witness of the day was Donald Galler. Mr. Galler is an electrical engineer from MIT who specializes in failure analysis. Mr. Galler received (and examined) over 70 samples from your affected homes. He focused his testimony, however, on the silver portions of several key pieces of electrical equipment, including a light switch, a smoke detector, HVAC air handler circuit board, and television circuit board. In each of the cases, he observed suspicious growth on the objects by his naked eye. His further analysis of the objects by electron microscopy scanning revealed significant corrosion that (in his opinion) had either led to failure, or would lead to failure, and that all such items should be removed and replaced.

It should be noted that Judge Fallon is taking this proceeding very seriously and is asking cogent and intelligent questions of the expert witnesses. It is apparent that he means for this case to be significant, regardless of whether or not KPT chose to participate in them

Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Trial testimony lays out tolls of toxic drywall | | HeraldTribune.com

Trial testimony lays out tolls of toxic drywall

NEW ORLEANS - The federal trial aimed at determining what is needed to fix homes with contaminated Chinese drywall wrapped up Monday, with homeowners outlining how the tainted material had changed their lives and scientists and engineers saying only broad and expensive work would make the homes liveable again.

U.S. District Court Judge Eldon E. Fallon is expected to issue a detailed ruling in the next few weeks, deciding both the scope of remediation -- a decision that could have far-reaching influence for all affected homeowners -- as well as a monetary judgment against Chinese manufacturer Taishan Gypsum Co.
The plaintiffs' attorneys are asking for at least $2.5 million to be awarded to seven Virginia families whose homes have the contaminated Taishan drywall.
The costs calculated for remediation itself, based on bids solicited independently from two Virginia builders, averaged about $86 per square foot, or roughly $172,000 for a typical 2,000- square-foot home. A number of the Virginia homes were larger, and their actual totals ranged from about $190,000 to $312,000 to repair.
In addition, the plaintiffs are seeking to be reimbursed for out-of-pocket costs associated with coil replacements or other repairs, loss of electronics and other damaged possessions, relocation expenses, loss of income and diminished value of the homes.
On average, the cost of those additional factors beyond remediation itself almost equaled the repair costs for each of the Virginia homes. Attorneys told the Herald-Tribune that about $1.2 million would cover remediation, with at least another $1.3 million for damages beyond the remediation.
The trial, technically a default hearing against Taishan, which has been absent from the proceedings, was originally scheduled to last at least five days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay