Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,678 times

Advertisements

hey! i'm moving to tampa from europe for 6 months and i want to do some traveling while i'm there. do you guys know how to get to cuba from florida? any cheap ways?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM

154 posts, read 533,638 times
Things might change with the new Obama administration. However, it used to be that you could not easily go directly from anywhere in the US to Cuba. Most people who would want to go to Cuba would do through Canada (Cuba is a very popular destination for Canadians) or through Mexico.
There might be better ways, but I don't know them.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 AM

326 posts, read 1,169,597 times
Sure you take I-75 till it ends in Mee-ami, Northern Cuba.

Seriously though I've been there twice and I never had to go through other countries. That was only if you went more than once in one year. The only airliner that went there from the U.S. was American Airlines and only out of Miami. It was the fastest plane ride I ever been on 30 min what your up your already descending. Who knows maybe now more airliners and airports go there after the Obama negotiations.

I'm surprised you haven't found any planes from Europe that go to Cuba. I saw many Germans and British tourist at some resorts when I was there.

Let me know if you find out more information Good Luck

Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
From Florida to Cuba? Nearly impossible, unless you have family over there or, occasionally, if you're a journalist. You'd have to go through Canada or Mexico. I don't think it's legal to use US currency over there, either.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 PM

haha. dont think you can use US currency anywhere but the states maybe that's why they have cuban peso in cuba.
yeah.. i've heard that it's incredibly popular among canadians..
BUT OKEY. so as i understannd there's a direct flight from Miami to Cuba?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
57 Chevy raft. See? Even compelled to reply can use really low brow humor.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM

154 posts, read 533,638 times
The MIA-HAV flights are long gone. Currently, there are talks to start flights from Los Angeles (LAX-HAV) once a week, primarily for people with families in Cuba. The easiest way still is through Canada or Mexico.
Here is an article about the planned flights from LA:
The South Chicagoan: Direct flights (well, sort of) soon available to Havana

Old 06-16-2009, 06:24 AM

great! thanks a lot!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaOrNotTampa View Post
The MIA-HAV flights are long gone. Currently, there are talks to start flights from Los Angeles (LAX-HAV) once a week, primarily for people with families in Cuba. The easiest way still is through Canada or Mexico.
Here is an article about the planned flights from LA:
The South Chicagoan: Direct flights (well, sort of) soon available to Havana
I am not sure where you get the idea that the Miami-Havana is long gone. There are still flight. Not only havana there is a once per week flight to Camawey. But all these are for Cubans who visit their relatives or others with special permit. For the OP like you said Canada or Mexico might be better way.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
We had to be there a few years ago for a sport event that our kid had to play but we cancelled to go. We had to travel to Mexico first and go from there, which incl. long lay overs and for as close Cuba is the trip is so long. No dollars were allowed to pay with in Cuba, although I think some people would love to have them and we had still some Euro's so that could have made it easier, but stil we decided not to go....

Maybe in a few months or years it will be a lot easier to get there, but still your money will go to a communist government as a friend of mine who was born in Cuba just as her whole family, has stated to me and their family won't go there and refuses to pay a dime to the advance of that regime...I get what they are telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: