U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Tampa area from Austin. I'm hearing really nice things about the whole region, and you gotta keep in mind that we're both Houston natives who are currently landlocked in Austin. Austin is nice, but it's not "us," so we're taking an opportunity elsewhere.

Where should we start looking if we're hoping to spend no more than $1300-1400/mo for a rental (of any type) and be within 20-30 minutes from Tampa proper (normal traffic in mind; coming from Austin and Houston, we've experienced pretty bad rush hour traffic)? We'd be fully comfortable in 1200 sq ft., until we really settle in and start looking for a house.

Are there any areas with very clean, respectable communities that could fit our needs? I understand if we can't provide actual community names, but neighborhoods, towns, or zip codes are much appreciated, to aid in my further forum searches. Thanks, all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM

15,885 posts, read 33,338,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbTexan View Post
My wife and I are moving to the Tampa area from Austin. I'm hearing really nice things about the whole region, and you gotta keep in mind that we're both Houston natives who are currently landlocked in Austin. Austin is nice, but it's not "us," so we're taking an opportunity elsewhere.

Where should we start looking if we're hoping to spend no more than $1300-1400/mo for a rental (of any type) and be within 20-30 minutes from Tampa proper (normal traffic in mind; coming from Austin and Houston, we've experienced pretty bad rush hour traffic)? We'd be fully comfortable in 1200 sq ft., until we really settle in and start looking for a house.

Are there any areas with very clean, respectable communities that could fit our needs? I understand if we can't provide actual community names, but neighborhoods, towns, or zip codes are much appreciated, to aid in my further forum searches. Thanks, all.
Can you give a bit more info? You said "Austin is not us", so can you describe what you would like to find in an area? Another issue is, do you have jobs lined up and will that be a factor?

Old 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM

180 posts, read 403,067 times
I moved here from Houston 7 years ago, and I love it here. I also love the Austin area. It's my favorite Texas city by far.

The Tampa Bay area is great. You really need a job lined up though - the job situation is tough here now no matter the industry. I would not come here without something lined up unless you have huge reserves of savings.

You say you're land-locked - if it's water you want - Pinellas County is more your area of focus, as traveling to the beaches/waterways is easier.

The traffic here is much better than Austin or Houston. (You can get where you are going in far less time on the freeways - and we don't have the massive construction going on like Texas does)

For $1,300 - 1,400 a month you have a lot of options for a 1 BR, less for a 2 BR.
It depends on what you want, in terms of schools, being near a major city, where is your job, etc.

You might also consider renting a house/condo in the area. (Plenty are available now)
If you live near a downtown area - you might be able to walk to the restaurants, etc.

I live near downtown St. Pete - it's a pretty quick commute to both Tampa and St. Pete.
In St. Pete: Consider Old Northeast for smaller rental apartments or homes, Snell Island is another option for rentals.

South Tampa also is a fun area - with walking distance to entertainment.

There are lots of options available. It all comes down to what you want.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM

21 posts, read 58,389 times
There are a lot of areas that would be within your budget and in the driving distance you mentioned. Northwest Hillsborough County, which is comprised of Carrollwood, Odessa, Keystone and Lutz has some wonderful communities and are located near the Veteran's Exprswy, which has easy access not only to downtown but to the airport and makes it very easy to get to the beaches. Of course this is a bit self serving, since I have lived in this area for almost 30 years and I am also trying to get my twelve year old pool house rented out but if you do start checking on places that interest you, and you find something that seems to fit your needs and mention the area, then I am sure most of us can give you specific information on it, which will help in your decision making.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,770 times
Pawda, you'll find anything and everything in Tampa. McMansions next to shacks. Gated communities next to industrial areas. All in all, you'll have to come out and drive around. Way to many options and opinions. Personally, I'm a South Tampa person. Lots of trees and personality. Generally, South of Kennedy Bldv. You can spend a lot or a little. Come on out and drive around N of Gandy on Himes and MacDill (even S of Gandy on MacDill) and you'll find all kinds of cool apartments.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,510,249 times
With your budget you will be able to rent a nice single family home or condo. If you post what you want people will be able to direct it to you. I think you're going to love the Tampa area!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM

89 posts, read 465,508 times
I just moved from Tampa, but while there we rented a couple houses and almost rented out our house in South Tampa. Being in South Tampa, you are close to everything. You can rent in that size range for about $1/sq ft is some neighborhoods. Soho and Hyde park are probably out, but look at Davis Islands (bit of a stretch money wise), Virginia Park, Palma Cia, and the surrounding areas. South of Gandy (AKA SOG) can be good or bad and is very spotty, so be sure to look in person and the immediate surround area. You get less for your money in South Tampa than you would in the burbs, but its all about location. There is a great zip code map of tampa online somewhere, but here are a few:

33611, 33609, 33606, 33629

Also, be sure to utilize google street view, it works well in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or