U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM

9,065 posts, read 7,872,567 times

Advertisements

I've heard that during the winter season, when the snowbirds are in town, that all along the Gulf Coast on US 19 & 1-75 the traffic is terrible the whole time. Has this been your experience??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,358,207 times
I find 19 to have annoying traffic any time of the year. I rarely travel 275 or 75 so I have no comment.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:48 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,250,476 times
US 19 is very dangerous. Between the poorly trained FL drivers and the elderly who are allowed to drive here without being tested.(You can be 80 here and renew your DL over the phone).

And there are those that walk on the side of highways here and ride bicycles, usually with their backs to the traffic. Don't understand that.

US 19 was profiled on TV as one of the 10 deadliest highways in the US.

In most states you have to take a real road test to get a DL. Here they go around a couple of orange cones in a parking lot. The FL trained drivers are some of the worst in the country.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,277,454 times
Default Us 19

There was a bumper sticker that I've seen many times, "Pray for me I drive on US 19". How very true, you need to have your wits about you to drive, between speeders and the elderly with poor vision or hearing problems, or even dementia driving......its bad.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:49 PM

It is very bad, you get some old person doing 35mph( always in the left lane) and then someone doing 70mph in the right lane.

And people trying to walk across US 19. Twice I have seen people in wheelchairs trying to cross, and of course not where there is a intersection and a traffic light.

That would be too easy.

Very dangerous road.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,687,944 times
Once you get up into north Pasco County the traffic thins out alot.
It is not bad on US 19 in Hernando on up, of course you will have some areas of congestion.

75 once you get up out of Hillsborough is not bad at all but sometimes there will be tie ups in Pasco. Once again as you get north of Pasco into Hernando it is not bad at all.

Contrary to what was posted you can not renew you lic. over the phone. You can do it online just like you can in many other states. In Florida those 80 years and older must renew in office to pass an eye test.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 PM

That is not true at all about the eye test. We know a woman is 85 and just got her license renewed with no eye or road test.

She has also caused two accidents and yet FL still lets her drive.

This state is afraid of the old people. Any politician who tries to pass stricter regulations on seniors and driving knows it is the end of their career.

Next thing you will say is everyone in FL has car insurance....LOL

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,687,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is not true at all about the eye test. We know a woman is 85 and just got her license renewed with no eye or road test.

She has also caused two accidents and yet FL still lets her drive.

This state is afraid of the old people. Any politician who tries to pass stricter regulations on seniors and driving knows it is the end of their career.

Next thing you will say is everyone in FL has car insurance....LOL
From the Florida Dept. of Hwy Safety and Motor Vehicles.

"All drivers 80 years of age or older who wish to renew their driver license are required to pass a vision test. The test may be administered at a Florida driver license office at no additional charge. Should you elect to have your vision tested at a driver license office, please schedule an appointment so that we can serve you more efficiently. Your other option is to have a doctor licensed to practice in Florida administer the vision test. He or she must be a medical doctor, osteopathic physician, or an optometrist. If the vision test is administered by your doctor a Mature Driver Vision Test Form (HSMV 72119) must be completed and submitted to the department. You can also ask your doctor to file the form electronically to our web site. The doctor completing the form must be licensed in Florida, out-of–state doctors are not authorized to provide this information."

Florida DHSMV - Renewing Your Florida License or ID Card

And the next thing I will say is, I post truths to compete with the numerous untruths posted.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Yes a realtor in FL always tell the truth. The point is the DMV is not making seniors come in and pass their eye test. And it should be much lower than 80 yrs of age.

I am sure many get a doctor to give them the green light. It should only be done at the DMV.

It should be anyone over 70 should pass an eye and a road test every year.

It will never happen here, just like staying in the right lane is not enforced.

Always fun to get behind a senior driving 30mph in the left hand lane and either not caring or not aware they are holding up traffic.

The politicians are afraid to toughen the laws. There are way too many seniors on the roads here who have no business driving.

But no one will take a stand because it means you would be voted out of office.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,802,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes a realtor in FL always tell the truth. The point is the DMV is not making seniors come in and pass their eye test. And it should be much lower than 80 yrs of age.

I am sure many get a doctor to give them the green light. It should only be done at the DMV.

It should be anyone over 70 should pass an eye and a road test every year.

It will never happen here, just like staying in the right lane is not enforced.

Always fun to get behind a senior driving 30mph in the left hand lane and either not caring or not aware they are holding up traffic.

The politicians are afraid to toughen the laws. There are way too many seniors on the roads here who have no business driving.

But no one will take a stand because it means you would be voted out of office.
No need to just point out the State of Florida..its the whole country>

From this article: Should Pa. Have Mandatory Testing For Elderly Drivers? - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Earle looked at requirements for all 50 states and found about only half of them passed some form of elderly driver restrictions.

Florida requires vision tests for drivers over 80.

Illinois and New Hampshire are the only states that require road tests for applicants over 75.

Pennsylvania which has a higher percentage of senior citizens than any other state except Florida has no restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay