Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times

Advertisements

Tampa, and Pinellas County, not so much, the suburbs, yes.

Someone told me that the head of the KKK used to live in Wesley Chapel, I don't know if that's true or not. When I visit Tampa, I stay in the Lutz/Wesley Chapel area, and the area definitely has that country southern feel. But I like it though, especially in the cold winter time, at nighttime with the wood burning and the smell of the burning wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM

210 posts, read 665,018 times
This is a great article about a friend of my grandfather's..an old Southern gentleman from the old school from the Tampa Area whose family were pioneers of this region.

D. Guy McMullen, member of pioneer family, always ready with a quip and a smile
By Andrew Meacham, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Thursday, August 12, 2010

CLEARWATER — Without fail, D. Guy McMullen stood when guests entered the living room. He held the door open for women and pulled their chairs back at the table.He didn't believe in bad moods, at least not the kind others could see, and held a verse from Ecclesiastes close to his heart. [i]

Last edited by Keeper; 08-20-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Tampa, and Pinellas County, not so much, the suburbs, yes.

Someone told me that the head of the KKK used to live in Wesley Chapel, I don't know if that's true or not. When I visit Tampa, I stay in the Lutz/Wesley Chapel area, and the area definitely has that country southern feel. But I like it though, especially in the cold winter time, at nighttime with the wood burning and the smell of the burning wood.
The KKK was pretty active in the Palm Harbor area up through at least the 70s. They had some sort of headquarters there. You can find articles on them via the Google newspaper database.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
If you think Tampa is southern it's likely that you have never been to SC, GA, AL.
Wrong..i've lived in all 3 places....Savannah and Augusta Ga, Colombia SC, and Auburn, Alabama....Tampa is Southern its you that is not

Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM

34 posts, read 88,282 times
Listen guys, this debate is stupid and is a rather simple answer:

Generally speaking: the city of Tampa (proper) is not 'southern' in the way that you are thinking. However, outside of the city in areas such as Lutz, parts of Valrico, Brandon, Plant City, etc, it is much more southern. But if you're in Tampa proper, you will vary rarely come into contact with many things Southern. It exists, but not to the scale that makes ANY debate about it worth having, especially considering this debate has turned into the following:

1. Yes Tampa is southern and I am southern and like that about the city.

2.) No its not, its nowhere near the deep south, okay?

Either way, Neither sides will convince eachother of anything because you guys have already make up your minds of that place. Put it this way, as someone who is bi-racial, and who does not identify with the southern culture, i have never felt out of place in Tampa, so even if you believe Tampa to be southern, no one should ever be afraid to feel to feel that the majority of this city aren't welcoming to others, we are.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Tampa has always had more of an east coast feel to me. Not even close to "southern".

Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Adam H. Putnam, Florida's new Commissioner of Agriculture is from Polk County and listening to Adam talk is a good example of how the Real Florida Accent Sounds and make no mistake its 100 proof Southern! If you don't believe me take a look at the Florida Network on Cable TV sometime when the Legislature is in session and folks like Adam take the podium. Natives who don't allow the influence of interlopers to change their native speech talk just about like Adam does even in Tampa neighborhoods. Adam is a fifth generation cattle rancher and citrus grower from Polk County and an example of how the Southern accent is still alive and strong in the young generations of True Native Floridans.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Tampa has always had more of an east coast feel to me. Not even close to "southern".
Its only people like you that are here that make it feel less so....so....

Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
Its only people like you that are here that make it feel less so....so....
I'm actually midwestern (even though I trace my roots back through Boston and much of the New England area) so I can't really take credit for that, although I wouldn't mind doing so.

Either way, Tampa isn't...and never really has been...a "southern" city. Tampa didn't even really start to see it's boom until a couple decades after the civil war when the rail lines finally started going up across the country, and that brought more Spanish and Northern influence which quickly outpaced any previous Southern influence.

That's pretty much the same trend set all around the country though, and you'd be hard pressed to find a major city that is truly "southern". Even former strongholds like Atlanta and to a lesser extent, New Orleans, have deviated greatly from their southern roots. Nashville is close but even then there is a bright line separating the city from the "true" southern area that surrounds it.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm actually midwestern (even though I trace my roots back through Boston and much of the New England area) so I can't really take credit for that, although I wouldn't mind doing so.

Either way, Tampa isn't...and never really has been...a "southern" city. Tampa didn't even really start to see it's boom until a couple decades after the civil war when the rail lines finally started going up across the country, and that brought more Spanish and Northern influence which quickly outpaced any previous Southern influence.

That's pretty much the same trend set all around the country though, and you'd be hard pressed to find a major city that is truly "southern". Even former strongholds like Atlanta and to a lesser extent, New Orleans, have deviated greatly from their southern roots. Nashville is close but even then there is a bright line separating the city from the "true" southern area that surrounds it.
Sorry you are wrong. Like so many who move to our city from outside of the South you don't have the slightest idea of Tampa's heritage or Florida's heritage for that matter. You do a great injustice to the people who formed this comunity and state but anyone with a lick of sense will give little credence to what your opinion is and just consider the source. I challenge you to consult a reliable source of historical documentation on the areas history...then you'll know why I ask that you please stop putting false information up on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay