Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,479 times

Advertisements

I currently live just outside of Boston, Ma. I have noticed that the prices of properties are much less in Tampa and have been strongly considering making the move down south. I have some questions that I hope I can be helped with on this site. I am a 25 year old male with a Finance degree and experience in the finance industry as well as the food and hospitality industry. I enjoy going out at night as well as sporting events and concerts.

I have found a few properties I would like to look at in South Tampa area. Is that the best area for me? I have also seen some great looking places in the area codes 33615, 33614, and 33607. How are those areas?

What is the job market like for the finance industry? I'm sure its not great but its not great up here as well. I'm just trying to get a feel for the industry down there.

How easy is it to get a job bartending and/or waiting tables?

Those are my only questions at this point. I'm sure I will come up with more. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
I would say for a 25 year old who enjoys nightlife, sporting events and concerts, South Tampa would be a good area for you to consider. 33615,14, and 07 are near the airport area and Town n Country..nice area mostly just along the Bay.

As far as Bartending and Waiting tables, there are plenty of service jobs, plenty of bars and restaurants..have a good personality and some experience and you should have no problem getting in.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
For your demographic, south Tampa would be a good fit. And you could pick up a job waiting or bartending, if you have experience and are good.

As for the finance job, well you will be hard pressed to find anything descent. Remember, the University of South Florida graduates Finance Majors several times a year. If you dont have a proven track record with a major firm or weren't a 4.0 student, then you prospects will be dim. Unfortunately, if you can find employment, you would most likely make 60% of your Boston Salary as well. Houses are cheap in Tampa mainly because there are not enough descent jobs to employ the residents. I dont meant to rain on your parade, but I'd rather you not plan a move thinking your quality of living wont change. (See the post on CPA's getting hired in the 30k range. This is the reality of the florida job market)

Nav

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Check out the post from the guy who is a CPA here. He is disgusted with the lower salaries that you find in FL. He is not even making 40K.

FL is number 2 in the nation now for filing new unemployment claims, I don't think finding bartending jobs or server jobs would be that easy.

While your cost of living will be less, you will find the salaries decrease sometimes by 50%. So many people end up struggling more here than they do in their home state.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I lived in Boston for seven years before moving down here to Florida. I was first on the East Ciast and since September have lived in Tampa. I should start by saying I often miss Boston VERY much. There are some things you won't find down here. Fenway Park, for a start, and the lovely automn colors. A huge swing in seasons. The beautiful brickwork. Moutains readily accessible. But I can also say that in my experience it is absolutely true that you can get more for your money here. I sold my 2 bedroom condo in Somerville wiht tandem parking for 100K more than the 3 bedroom house I bought here on a nice little pond. Since then I have sold that place and gotten an even nicer little concrete house ona little lake. Yes, the salaries are less here but the price of living is an even bigger discount. There are tradeoffs wherever you go but I am so far satisfied with the balance available here in Tampa.

I lived in South Tampa (Hyde Park area) up until about a month or so ago and I would absolutely echo the previous posters who said that would most likely be a good fit. I was i nwalking disctance of a lot of things, which was great. However, when it came to buying I was not willing to pay the asking price for the type of place I wanted and moved to Carrollwood. I miss South Tampa a lot and ther eare great finds for rentals down there but you won't find the huge discount based on Boston prices you may be hoping for. Plus please keep in mind all of South Tampa is in a hurricane evacuation zone. Something you don't have to factor in up in Boston.

Best of luck whatever you do!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM

296 posts, read 644,371 times
I notice a lot of people from the Boston area in Tampa, seems to be as many red sox fans at the rays games as rays fans. Anyway, the economy here is pretty bad right now, but I think bars/restaurants are kind of always hiring, just a matter of looking hard enough.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
You have to remember with all the people out of work you have people applying for restaurant/ bar positions that would never have sought out that kind of work in the past.

Educated white collar workers competing with college kids and those who have no real skills applying for server positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay