U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 PM

63 posts, read 207,640 times

Advertisements

Hey all~ just wanted to throw a question out.

I'm a 24 year old college grad with a BS in Pyschobiology..I want to work with marine mammals. I currently live in Maine and want to move south within the next 6-12 months and hopefully start doing something that I went to school for. I searched AZA and various other sites to no avail.

Wanted to know if anyone has experience in this field or know of people who are. As well as if there are any conservation, not for profit, stranding groups who look for volunteers?

Any help would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,667,551 times
Not sure if this helps
try Mote Marine in Clearwater also USF, UF and other FL colleges have courses in this field so presumably have some kind of employment attached to that.
A lot of work is done in FL with marine/aquatic life and mammels and right now we are in the midst of loggerhead nesting season, so look online for news stories on this and it may clue you in to organizations involved with marine life here.
this is probably a good place for a job if there are jobs to be had.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM

thanks for the info, I will def check it out

Old 07-04-2009, 03:11 PM

154 posts, read 492,235 times
I don't know institutions doing research on marine mammals in Florida (but this is not my field). It seems that marine mammals are primarily display items of amusement parks in FL. When thinking of research and a setting to apply your knowledge, the places that come to my mind are: Woods Hole, Bodega Bay, Monterey, Friday Harbor, Scripps: primarily on the West Coast apart from Woods Hole.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM

263 posts, read 1,015,147 times
Eckerd College in St Petersburg has a large Marine Science program - it's the largest single major on campus. You will find any number of marine scientists working there. I believe that the St Pete campus of USF also has a marine science major.

Galbraith Marine Science Lab - Eckerd College

Mote Mote Marine Laboratory - Mote Marine Laboratory, is in Sarasota, but the Clearwater Marine Aquarium has lots of volunteer opportunities.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,932,185 times
Volunteer Divers needed at Clearwater Marine Aquarium (http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/vol/1254381284.html - broken link)

Volunteers Divers are needed at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

Maintaining water quality and appearance of our dolphin pools is a top priority. The recent roof removal provides a spectacular open-air effect but also brings with it direct sunlight that increases algae growth in our dolphin pools. Therefore, we need to enlist additional committed volunteer SCUBA divers to assist with our pool cleaning challenge. Our dolphins are routinely moved to back pools during cleaning. We are also in need of Safety Spotters to assist the divers and monitor dolphin behavior. Spotters do not require SCUBA certification but First Aid certification is required.

Air tanks are provided and some equipment is available. Most volunteers bring their own dive gear.

If you are an active, certified diver interested in joining the team contact Dawn De Santis , Volunteer Coordinator at volunteerdepartment@cmaquarium.org for the necessary forms

Any person interested in applying must provide and make copy of a Scuba Certification Card from a recognized agency as Naui, Padi, Pdic, or Ssi. They must have dived within the last year and provide their dive log for review(2 dives). If they have not dived within 1 year they must show proof of a current refresher course from a recognized agency. If you currently hold a valid Cpr/1st Aid Card please supply a copy of that as well. Interviews will be held with any new divers that wish to apply after they have submitted the required documentation and attended orientation. Volunteer divers must be willing to come in at least once a month.

The next scheduled meeting will take place on July 13, Monday @ 7pm at CMA. Meetings last appx 1 hour. Email to reserve space and receive application and diver forms.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 AM

428 posts, read 1,362,081 times
St. Pete has the largest concentration of marine science jobs in the Southeast, if not the country. You have the Florida Marine Research Institute, USF-St. Pete School of Oceanography, SDI labs, the USGS, National Marine FIsheries Service, various NGO's, the Tampa Bay Estuary Program, Clearwater Marine Aquariurm, various private consulting groups, Eckerd College's marine science department, the Pier Aquarium, and if you include Tampa and Sarasota you have the FLorida Aquairum, Mote Marine Lab, and dozens of more consulting companies.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks so much! you guys are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or