U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm 21, live in Buffalo, NY and just finished my last year of college. But now I've been contemplating on moving 2 either Tampa or Orlando. The only thing is so many people say how one is better than the other, or neither are good places to live. So if there's any1 who lives or have lived in either city PLEASE tell me what I should do. I just dnt want 2 make the wrong decision and regret it later. I'd gladly appreciate some opinions.

Oh 1more thing plz don't tear into me TOO BAD 4 trying to move 2 FL 4rm NY lol. I've read comments on here from ppl saying how there's alot of former new yorkers that live all over FL & how rude they are, but just 2 let u knw......not ALL of us are..................Thanks Again
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:36 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,448,643 times
What is your degree in? Both Orlando and Tampa are two of the worst places in the country to look for work right now.

The salaries here are very low compared to other states.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 838,028 times
Have you been to either place? Are you just planning to pick one place and move? Why Orlando and not Miami?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 PM

92 posts, read 330,431 times
There are ZERO jobs here. Stay away.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,254,543 times
We lived 4 years in Orlando and the crime there is outrageous! it is a LOT hotter there because there is no ocean breeze anywhere, nor any beach around, you have to drive to either coast to see a beach....As far as work goes, I worked in IT and in my 4 years there I was not able to find a job that paid more than $8 per hour!!!! I am sure there are exceptions....but they are few and far between, Orlando is a MESS right now, because of the greedy builders who overbuild that city like you wouldn't believe when you only have I-4 to go anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! horrible traffic....however Florida is one of the states where the housing greed has caused a miserable economy and where it will take years before a real recovery is in site.........just cause a house sells here and there it doesn't mean that "poof" we're out of the woods........the job market here sucks and this is a customer service job state anyways....if you think it is more important to be by the beach and be paid like crap, rather than put up with the snow and have your work paid at it's value.........then that's your choice.......there are a lot of people here that want to get the hell out......Florida these days is for the people who have a lot of money, if I were to finish college and start a new career, this would be the last place I will do that in...........we live in Tampa for the last 2 years now and I (as a small business) found that people not only don't want to spend money on quality....they run from it like crazy.......but also have no respect for someone's "time" and are very quick to temper with people's legal business documents for a cheap deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable!
We personally have not meet any rude NY-ers only nice and respectful people, ...only locals, people born and raised here! or boat people were very rude......sorry for that comment, but it does seem that the good manners fell of the boat before it reached our shore.......

Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 AM

15,925 posts, read 33,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashamarie88 View Post
Ok I'm 21, live in Buffalo, NY and just finished my last year of college. But now I've been contemplating on moving 2 either Tampa or Orlando. The only thing is so many people say how one is better than the other, or neither are good places to live. So if there's any1 who lives or have lived in either city PLEASE tell me what I should do. I just dnt want 2 make the wrong decision and regret it later. I'd gladly appreciate some opinions.

Oh 1more thing plz don't tear into me TOO BAD 4 trying to move 2 FL 4rm NY lol. I've read comments on here from ppl saying how there's alot of former new yorkers that live all over FL & how rude they are, but just 2 let u knw......not ALL of us are..................Thanks Again
I am a Florida native and think overall Tampa would be a much better choice - areas around south Tampa will be the nicest places to live, if a bit more expensive. In Tampa you will have easy access to the Gulf beaches in St. Pete, Clearwater, etc. Tampa is also less of a "vacation" destination, so you have more year round residents, and not such a flood of vacationers going to Disney and the other theme parks. Despite all the bashing and naysayers here on this forum, it can be a great place to live IF you can find employment and a neighborhood you can afford and enjoy.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,254,543 times
Someone fresh out of school cannot afford South Tampa without a good job.............unless they have serious savings...here are some links with prices for apartments down there:

Some of the ones around Palma Ceia are really run down.....and that area is spotty, one corner is all renovated and looks great and another looks like crack town......a lot of old communities ...it is very weird....prices also depend on how nice an area is.......the $450 ones are not so hot....areas of South Tampa are also noisy because of the AFB and the Airport being very close......
South Tampa Apartment Search Results - South Tampa Apartments for Rent by ApartmentCities.com

Something to also keep in mind is that you will need a car, because if you live in South Tampa and have your job in Clearwater (as with the exception of down town, if you don't end up working there, you will have to commute somewhere else, therefore ST may not be a good option)......that is NOT walking distance and there is no public transportation available.....traffic on Gandy Blvd or 60 can be very heavy....and so can 275

The first ones on the list below are in South Tampa, the rest are north of there by some 20 minutes......Temple Terrace etc...

Search Results - ForRent.com

South Tampa's finest Westshore Blvd, Channelside, Bayshore are very expensive places to live.....for someone who is not established with a serious job......

Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 838,028 times
^
Is ForRent representative at all or is it "behind the market"? I think craigslist (if you can avoid the spam) offers a more accurate rental market price....

Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM

263 posts, read 1,022,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashamarie88 View Post

Nobody can really tell you which place would be better for you, only you can make that determination. We can share our observations of the various places but just because I've had a bad experience somewhere doesn't mean that you will. A place might be perfect for me and just wrong for you.

Read the boards for these two places with a grain of salt. A lot of the contributors just enjoy sounding the "oh, woe is me" alarm.

As for having regrets later, just decide that you aren't going to have any regrets. Life is made up of a series of decisions that we make, some of them are bad and others are good, but they all make us who we are. Regret is a waste of time and emotional energy.

I like Tampa better than Orlando, but I'm certainly biased. If I was moving back to Florida, I'd choose the Tampa area, but ultimately jobs make a lot of those decisions for us.

I would encourage you not to move without having a job lined up first.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM

398 posts, read 667,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We lived 4 years in Orlando and the crime there is outrageous! it is a LOT hotter there because there is no ocean breeze anywhere, nor any beach around, you have to drive to either coast to see a beach....As far as work goes, I worked in IT and in my 4 years there I was not able to find a job that paid more than $8 per hour!!!! I am sure there are exceptions....but they are few and far between, Orlando is a MESS right now, because of the greedy builders who overbuild that city like you wouldn't believe when you only have I-4 to go anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! horrible traffic....however Florida is one of the states where the housing greed has caused a miserable economy and where it will take years before a real recovery is in site.........just cause a house sells here and there it doesn't mean that "poof" we're out of the woods........the job market here sucks and this is a customer service job state anyways....if you think it is more important to be by the beach and be paid like crap, rather than put up with the snow and have your work paid at it's value.........then that's your choice.......there are a lot of people here that want to get the hell out......Florida these days is for the people who have a lot of money, if I were to finish college and start a new career, this would be the last place I will do that in...........we live in Tampa for the last 2 years now and I (as a small business) found that people not only don't want to spend money on quality....they run from it like crazy.......but also have no respect for someone's "time" and are very quick to temper with people's legal business documents for a cheap deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable!
We personally have not meet any rude NY-ers only nice and respectful people, ...only locals, people born and raised here! or boat people were very rude......sorry for that comment, but it does seem that the good manners fell of the boat before it reached our shore.......
Im with you and I must include myself, I can wait to get out of here. Dont think about Orlando, its not a day at the amusement park like everybody thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or