Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM

36 posts, read 135,900 times

Advertisements

So I read blogs about design and a lot of it is focused around small studios in big cities. So I found a small studio here in Hyde Park (400 sq ft) but haven't gone to tour it yet. I guess coming from florida means you are not used to these small places but is it really that bad? None of my friends are from Big cities really and they are all telling me 400 sq ft is going to be way too small and I am going to hate it. Anyone lived in anything that small here in Florida? Is it that uncomfortable for one person or are us non big city folk just spoiled with bigger places being everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
MT8

60 posts, read 187,864 times
Sounds like a dorm room. 400 sq feet is tiny. Does it have a closet? You need a closet. Does it have a kitchen or a kitchenette? Be prepared for a really small fridge and stove with two burners.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,588,778 times
That is really small. Have you walked through it yet? That should help you get a better feel for if you can live with it or not. It might be worth the compromise to live in Hyde Park.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,244,761 times
that's like a tent!?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsaurus Rex View Post
So I read blogs about design and a lot of it is focused around small studios in big cities. So I found a small studio here in Hyde Park (400 sq ft) but haven't gone to tour it yet. I guess coming from florida means you are not used to these small places but is it really that bad? None of my friends are from Big cities really and they are all telling me 400 sq ft is going to be way too small and I am going to hate it. Anyone lived in anything that small here in Florida? Is it that uncomfortable for one person or are us non big city folk just spoiled with bigger places being everywhere?
It is all about your lifestyle. People in big cities like Paris, San Francisco and NYC have been living in that size and smaller for decades. If you don't need a lot of "stuff", and are on the go or like to be outside a lot how much space does one really need? That amount of space is about like my "great room", and it seems it could be enough for one person. Besides, think how quick it will be to clean, and how cheap your utility bills would be. Bottom line, it's up to YOU - how do YOU feel about living in that space. I think you need to see it in person especially in context of the neighborhood. If it's a great space in a great area, you just might find it enough. Don't let your friends or anyone else tell you what you will and will not like.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

I actually do agree with gypsychic,.....for one person that should be enough, of course if you like to entertain a lot of people, it may not work, or have family over etc.....get a Murphy bed and you're set...we get VERY SPOILED here in FL, when the same family of 5 in NY lives in half the size of our house just fine....but I completely agree with the "keeping up" part....the bigger you go, the more you have to do inside and outside...and I am not sure if it worth it in the end if you cannot afford a maid service! it seems like all you do is clean! I miss living in a smaller place and with concrete instead of so much grass around!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM

36 posts, read 135,900 times
thanks algia and gypsychic
Yeah my biggest thing is carpet and it seems that all the apartments down here are carpet and the ones that aren't are 1000/month and up. These are nice historic places but since I have no experience with studios and can't picture the size until I see it first hand I wanted to see what people had to say about the size. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM

You're welcome,

Yes, the carpet is a trend, it should NOT be, considering that we live fairly close to the beaches and we drag sand all over........but I haven't seen apartments that didn't have it....

Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,623,869 times
Yes, 400 sq ft is small, but very doable for a single person. Think of a 20 ft x 20 ft. space and that's it. My studio apartment also had a mini stove, sink, and refrigerator and it was fine. I wouldn't have wanted to live there forever, but for a young person with limited funds it was great! Best wishes.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,550,598 times
So, would you tell us what you thought about the 400sf apartment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsaurus Rex View Post
thanks algia and gypsychic
Yeah my biggest thing is carpet and it seems that all the apartments down here are carpet and the ones that aren't are 1000/month and up. These are nice historic places but since I have no experience with studios and can't picture the size until I see it first hand I wanted to see what people had to say about the size. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: