Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 55,188 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a 24 y/o student moving to Tampa from Orlando in January to attend USF. I have already started to look at apartments, homes, and townhouses for rent in the area. I have explored many sites including craigstlist, ForRent.com, etc. My main problem seems to be that I have three pets (two cats and a 27lb mini Australian shepherd) when the max limit at most places seems to be two. I also have a ball python (NOT a giant snake) and two leopard geckos, and some places list "no exotic pets", which is a little new to me. When I was apartment hunting for my first place in Orlando I never came across anything like that.

If any can point me in the direction of a place that has negotiable policies, I would be very appreciative. I am willing to pay extra fees, deposits, etc. It must also be in a safe area (I am a single female who will be living alone).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
It's going to be tough. The only apartment complex I know that allows 3 pets is in a bad area.

We have three dogs so we posted an ad on Craigslist in the housing wanted section and we got quite a few responses. I think that will be your best bet.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
You may have better luck with a property mangement company that is renting out units for private owners. If the owner has not been able to rent the place out he or she may be more willing to allow animals. I had the same problem when I moved here - I had four animals. I ended up at my 4th choice place, which was a condo I rented from a management company. Complexes are more likely to stick to a set of rules because once they bend for one they have to bend for all. I went through Coyle Realty in Palma Ceia but there are nuerous maangement companies who hendle units for private owners.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
First, I would just ignore the pet/animal-hater above who is on the wrong board according to his location anyways. As for the real question at hand... I would definitely go with a management company or post an ad as stated by the others. The only way you're going to get into an apartment community that has a pet limit is to only claim 1 cat and 1 dog, which isnt the best idea incase they find out then you could be in violation of your lease. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone that says "pets ok" and will happily allow you to move in with all of your "kids". Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
i agree with previous poster on searching out private owners. later this year or next (depending on when i get all this work done) i will have a cozy 2/1 cottage for rent (walk to usf) and i'm fencing in a nice sized yard for it so animals will be allowed there. as an owner, i think allowing pets is a good draw to bring in tenants turned away by apartment complexes.

also i'll be looking for a roommate in the main house and i've got no problem with most animals but (sorry to say) for cats. totally allergic to them so don't want them on my property. but i wouldn't mind someone with, say, three well-behaved dogs as long as the owner cleans up after them on a daily basis. exotic pets also not a problem. so i definitely would look into the private home owner market and see what you find there. you might try driving around campus neighborhoods and look for 4rent signs.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
You might try Craigslist as well. I have three small dogs so I know that can be an issue. Best wishes!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 PM

22 posts, read 55,188 times
Thank you all for your help! I have been looking into condos and townhomes for rent by private owners and am finding much more (though still somewhat limited) success. I will try the idea with posting the "housing wanted" ad on craigslist, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi View Post
You are not expecting too much are you???
Why do you have so many animals and expect a property owner to just let you destroy their property?
Maybe you should BUY something............. out a ways, because I certainly would not want you for a neighbor with that circus in tow!
Please try not to judge. My pets are not destructive or disruptive. I've lived in the same apartment with them for three years and no one has ever complained. In fact, most people comment on how clean and neat the place is... it is certainly not a circus!

Peace

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Just want to wish you well. Personally, I wouldnt be hesitant w/ 3 small furry pets (not familiar w/ the others so I can't say), maybe would ask for an additional pet fee but nothing exhorbitant like some do. Would check Craigslist or run an ad and offer an extra reasonable deposit. Anyway, best of luck.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,218 times
Default You might have better luck renting a house.

Apartment complexes seem a little tighter and strict. Pay a pet fee or offer to, come with great references and show you are a responsible pet owner once in. Be a good tenant, take care of your pets and you'll feel good about yourself and also earn another good reference. Best wishes from another pet owner and lover.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,096 times
Default Where is the complex?

I know you said it's in a bad area but which complex is it? We really need a place that allows all 3 of our dogs. We have 2 dachshunds and a beagle-boxer mix.

Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
It's going to be tough. The only apartment complex I know that allows 3 pets is in a bad area.

We have three dogs so we posted an ad on Craigslist in the housing wanted section and we got quite a few responses. I think that will be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay