U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,160,187 times

Advertisements

We have had both, and actually prefer not to have an enclosure.

Are there bugs? Yes, of course you are outside in Florida. But the screen doesn't really keep them all out all that well either. Also, the screen attracts massive spiderwebs, and our exterminator had to remove them all the time, and told us it was that way with all screens.

If you have a weekly pool service, a screen is not all that necessary. They remove the leaves and debris weekly, and for us it is not an issue. It is also much more attractive aesthetically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,188,375 times
Personally, I would not buy a house with a pool without an enclosure, fancy or not fancy like what you are planning.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 101,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsx3 View Post
Trees?
Yes, there are trees but they will be transplanted to keep debris away from the pool area.

Also, I know that a 50K pool will not raise the value of the home. I am not looking to increase the value of the home, I am looking to increase the enjoyment that I get out of the home and pool. That's why I ask for advice on the screen. The pool will be built either way, so my only real question is to know whether or not I should look at a design with a screen and one without. So far, the one without is winning. I have picked out a few systems ranging from $2000 to $4000 to keep bugs out of the yard. So the bug issue is becoming a mute point now.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,580,949 times
I agree you should skip the screen if you have the choice. An enclosure just doesn't incorporate well with the other natural surroundings. To the adverse, most real estate buyers I work with prefer the enclosure for reasons mentioned previously (bugs & safety). If you're expecting many years of personal enjoyment, this may not matter to you.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM

75 posts, read 287,484 times
I agree with the post above by glastron_79, if you're planning to have your outdoor area be an extension of your indoor area I would go with the screen enclosure for sure. The bugs here are amazing large, and plentiful!

With the screen you can enjoy it year round.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM

50 posts, read 135,484 times
We don't have one and here's why: INSURANCE. If your insurance will not cover the structure and/or solar heating why invest? Your pool will more likely need to be heated if it's enclosed. Our pool does need to be scooped daily (2 big oak trees near) and we've had tons of spiders dead at the bottom and a snake and we get a lot of frogs but we're next to a conservation. That said, our neighbors with a pool cage have had an 8 ft snake in their pool inside the enclosure and get some bugs and frogs too. For safety (we have kids), we have a pool fence and a fenced yard both. I love not having to pay to heat the pool too.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

663 posts, read 990,193 times
If you don't live right on salt water, I would get a screen. Cleaner and no bugs.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 AM

Just an update to this thread to close it out somewhat. The pool was finished late last year. It was more than I could hope for. A screen would have made this current pool impossible because it is freeform and is not constrained by the limits of a screen. An addition to the pool is a bug system that is set up around the perimeter of the yard. We used the company Bugslayer. It is early in the year but it seems to be working. We chatted in the front yard with neighbors and were getting eaten alive by bugs. Went to the back yard for a swim and hot tub..... no bugs. We could see one or two here or there, but no bugs were bothering us. So to all of those that said that bugs would be bad....so far so good. As for debris in the pool. When it is windy, we get some small leaves falling into the pool, but you have to clean your pool on a regular basis anyway and it is not hard to vacum up the few leaves that do fall into the pool. Our landscaping is not designed around small leaves that fall off of trees. We have palms and plants that do not shed. I think in the end we made the right decision.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM

384 posts, read 2,063,258 times
Who did you build your pool with, if you don't mind my asking? Gulfstream came to our house and mentioned Bugslayer too...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 AM

We built with Tampa Bay Pools. They did an excellent job. Like any job, there were issues here and there and they fixed them all. We did our own research on Bug Slayer though. I'm not sure Tampa Bay Pools have built too many uncovered pools and so they had asked us what we thought about the system. So far, the system rocks. I am actually looking forward to having more bugs come out so I can see how well the system really works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay