U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,283,190 times

Advertisements

I just have to post this - I took a great job in Durham, N.C. but I am so miserable that I'm leaving St. Petersburg that I can't even bring myself to pack. This is not good! I have to pretend I want to be there once I'm there. I hope I can move back (but I can't find a decent job here)

Signed,

VERY sad about moving
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM

942 posts, read 1,144,032 times
Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do because that is how life is. Figure this, whereever you are you will have to work, and you need a job that is decent enough to pay your bills and let you enjoy life. Fla is nice although some would disagree I imagine. Fla has some serious problems, many will attest to that the wages and the cost of living are so out of whack, the forum is filled with people leaving Fla. I would do this, if you are able to live there on not much of nothing because you are happy there, then I would stay, although I doubt that is practical. On the other hand, if you are getting a decent job, and the cost of living is lower, you will have much to look forward to, where Fla is not providing that for you at this time, The choice then becomes obvious and you would take the job in Durham hands down. You have to weigh where you feel the happiest, and at what price that happiness is costing you, If there is little work in fla, and you can't get ahead, can't get some kind of health insurance then the cost of happiness is way way too high. I hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,797,942 times
WHat line of business are you in? What is you career? St. Pete and the Tampa Bay area misses you already.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,564,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do because that is how life is. Figure this, whereever you are you will have to work, and you need a job that is decent enough to pay your bills and let you enjoy life. Fla is nice although some would disagree I imagine. Fla has some serious problems, many will attest to that the wages and the cost of living are so out of whack, the forum is filled with people leaving Fla. I would do this, if you are able to live there on not much of nothing because you are happy there, then I would stay, although I doubt that is practical. On the other hand, if you are getting a decent job, and the cost of living is lower, you will have much to look forward to, where Fla is not providing that for you at this time, The choice then becomes obvious and you would take the job in Durham hands down. You have to weigh where you feel the happiest, and at what price that happiness is costing you, If there is little work in fla, and you can't get ahead, can't get some kind of health insurance then the cost of happiness is way way too high. I hope this helps.
very well said, couldnt agree more. i used to think i had to live in a gorgeous spot to be happy. i have realized that available work is most important cause without that nothing else happens. i had great jobs in NYC but eventually left chasing paradise. ive been in the ft. lauderdale area for 5 yrs and have had to change my career several times. used to work in IT but that dried up completely here, then tried sales, inusrance, etc and no longer even know what my career path is. so i am outta south florida and going to "try" tampa but from what ive seen so far in my searches and talking to people the job market is worse than south florida unless very uniquely talented or start a good business....i am hopeful though, we'll see.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,283,190 times
Thanks all - I work in medical research so the jobs are in the Triangle area and definitely not in Tampa Bay! At least ones that pay decently...

Oh well, better salary means more vacations to St. Pete

Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM

942 posts, read 1,144,032 times
JS FLA I would keep my eyes opened for other areas also, I don't know what the problem in florida is with jobs that pay enough to live there, anymore than I understand the lack of jobs in Oregon. The country is kind of messed up more in some areas than other areas. Just have other options and do alot of research on jobs etc in areas you plan on moving to, you don't want to move to a new place that turns out to be no better than where you are .presently. And thank you for the compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay