U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,347,117 times

Advertisements

The best thing you can do is to shop around for the best policy. Geico in FLorida is no where near the cheapest. AIG wasn't that bad. State Farm, Progressive and Allstate were all high.

One thing about your existing policy. Once you move you must notify your current insurer and advise them of the change in address. Failure to do so may void you policy. With all the horrific drivers in Tampa Bay that would be a big mistake. If they will allow you to keep your policy until it runs out, make sure you have uninsured motor vehicle coverage added to your policy.

Lastly, once you get here you will notice that you also have to pay a percentage of your policy to the state funded "Citizens" insurance agancy to help offset the costs of home insurance for those who have to use citizens because no one else would write them a policy. I'm not sure of the exact amount citizens tacks on, but I think its around 1%. Got to love florida.

Nav
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM

20 posts, read 44,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
If they will allow you to keep your policy until it runs out, make sure you have uninsured motor vehicle coverage added to your policy.
I did have that question too. The quote update stated that they had to add the uninsured motorist coverage even though its optional. The coverage stated that it covered the excess of the bodily injury caused by an UN\Under-insured driver. But my MI policy already has "un-under-insured motorist bodily injury" on it (in larger amounts than they were required to add).
I guess this is more of an insurance co question than a city-data one. I just thought it was odd.

I have only spent a few weeks in FL over the past few years and didn't really see a difference in driving skill when compaired to MI drivers. Though damn Semi's are crazy down there. In MI you hate to see one tractor-trailer over taking another one becasue its a race between one going 55 and another going 55.5 and if your on a 2 lane highway your going to be stuck for a while. Down there I saw more than a few trucks going 80+ in the fast lane.

Last edited by thekub; 07-31-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 04:19 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,937,119 times
I moved from FL to MI and the rates were about the same, I have Progressive. I don't care how bad anybody says the unemployment situation is in FL, it has got to be better than Michigan, a lot of MI counties are 20% + in real numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay