Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

I did best with Direct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 PM

569 posts, read 1,057,728 times
I just moved from Alexandria, VA to Seminole (west St. Petersburg for the guy from Fairfax) and have been shopping for car insurance quotes because my previous company (Erie Insurance) doesn't service Florida . So far, everything I've been quoted has been double or more for less coverage than what I had in Alexandria

I was with the same company for 16 years, only ever filed 1 claim about 10 years ago (car was stolen), have no accidents or tickets in the last 5 years, and have a credit score around 780. Both cars are paid off, old, and not worth much. I work from home, so one I drive less than 5k miles per year and the other less than 500, yet my quotes are still usually for around $1200 - 1400 every 6 months. I was paying about $1000 per year in a much more dangerous to drive in area. What gives?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Hurricanes and uninsured immigrants or uninsured motorists?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,057,728 times
I was getting quotes without comprehensive on my cars, so I don't think hurricanes would have a big impact. I was primarily looking at property damage and personal injury, etc. I really only want to protect myself from owing huge amounts of money because of medical bills or damage to other people's property. I suppose uninsured motorists could explain it, but those are everywhere. Is there really _that_ many more here? It doesn't seem like that should outweigh DC's diplomats, foreigners, transient population that doesn't know the roadways, tourists, and some of the worst traffic in the country. DC is consistently rated in the top 5 worst traffic and most likely to get in an accident cities. Plus, I don't drive much anyway. I pretty much take them to the grocery store, movies, beach (soon anyway), and to play my sports. I doubt the cars will get hit in my driveway or garage...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM

Old article discussing the issue: can't vouch for its accuracy.

What's Driving Florida's High Auto Rates? | PropertyCasualty360

Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 AM

"I can tell you in one word," State Farm spokesman Chris Neal says. "It's PIP. PIP losses continue to accelerate with no end in sight. It's almost the sole reason behind those increases."

PIP, or personal injury protection, covers drivers and passengers hurt in auto accidents. Under the state's no-fault insurance laws, anyone injured is covered for up to $10,000 in medical bills.

The problem: PIP claims have skyrocketed in Florida, along with allegations of PIP fraud. Insurers and the state investigators cite increased reports of staged accidents in which people with minor or no injuries go to medical clinics for treatment and those clinics, in turn, collect up to $10,000 per person in insurance payouts.

A push to clamp down on PIP fraud failed in the Legislature the last session, in part because of concerns that it was overreaching. Personal injury attorneys and some legislators objected that it gave insurers up to three months to pay legitimate claims and that a limit on attorney fees would discourage people from going after insurance companies that deny legitimate claims.

Regardless of what percentage of PIP claims are legitimate, it's clear that claims are on the rise.

A report this year showed that PIP filings rose 28 percent from 2006 to 2010 in Florida. The number of PIP-related lawsuits in which the insurer was the defendant increased by 387 percent in the same four-year period.

In January, economist and Insurance Information Institute president Bob Hartwig said the cost to insurers of covering no-fault fraud is rising by 70 percent annually, and "these costs will eventually be passed along to Florida drivers."

"Eventually" has arrived. In addition to the string of State Farm filings:

• Geico General imposed a pair of rate increases this year, an average 4.5 percent increase effective Jan. 27 and a 5 percent boost effective June 30. Its sister company, Geico Indemnity, imposed rate increases of 4.8 percent and 4.3 percent, respectively, for the same time periods. In a letter to some customers, Geico blamed a continual sharp increase in the number of people claiming injury for every 100 accidents, "although the rate of accidents has remained fairly stable."

• Progressive has raised auto rates about 10 percent since early 2010.

• The two biggest Allstate units in Florida — Allstate Property & Casualty and Allstate Insurance Co. — are raising their auto rates 20 percent and 6 percent, respectively, effective Monday. That's on top of hikes of 13 percent and 3 percent, respectively, last year.

"In each case, PIP had an above-average impact on our rate requests," Allstate spokesman Justin Herndon said.

Florida auto insurance rates climbing steadily | Tampa Bay Times

Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
I just moved from Alexandria, VA to Seminole (west St. Petersburg for the guy from Fairfax) and have been shopping for car insurance quotes because my previous company (Erie Insurance) doesn't service Florida . So far, everything I've been quoted has been double or more for less coverage than what I had in Alexandria

I was with the same company for 16 years, only ever filed 1 claim about 10 years ago (car was stolen), have no accidents or tickets in the last 5 years, and have a credit score around 780. Both cars are paid off, old, and not worth much. I work from home, so one I drive less than 5k miles per year and the other less than 500, yet my quotes are still usually for around $1200 - 1400 every 6 months. I was paying about $1000 per year in a much more dangerous to drive in area. What gives?
Wow, that's a lot. I know the first year you get to a company your premium may be higher but that much? I have progressive that I cover two cars fully at about 130/month for both (paying the six month premium upfront). Try them. Also, if you don't drive that much you may want to try their snap shot option where you are tracked for about a month to set your premium (they track your driving behavior as well as distance), which is usually less for people like you.

Keep shopping. You may want to try AAA, they will do the shopping for you. They couldn't beat my current rate but I know some people have success with that.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post

We have Progressive and I called a few weeks ago because we are relocating out of Florida. Pleasantly surprised to have my premium cut in half. Same as the renters insurance.
Insurance in Florida is expensive, just best to shop around.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Wow, that's a lot. I know the first year you get to a company your premium may be higher but that much? I have progressive that I cover two cars fully at about 130/month for both (paying the six month premium upfront). Try them. Also, if you don't drive that much you may want to try their snap shot option where you are tracked for about a month to set your premium (they track your driving behavior as well as distance), which is usually less for people like you.

Keep shopping. You may want to try AAA, they will do the shopping for you. They couldn't beat my current rate but I know some people have success with that.
AAA South was never able to give me competitive rates for type of insurance. I tried canceling it a few months ago since we are moving and our car has roadside assistance anyways. I never use it for any other discounts. They refused to return my money and just told me that I had the coverage until June. I went round and round on the phone and in person. I was told finally that they would refund me the prorated amount. Turns out that was just a lie to get me out of their office. Not impressed.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Floridakash or hokiepoke, do you think the rates with GIECO are better then USAA? Do you mind me asking what year cars you own?
Yes. I was with USAA for 14 years, always thought it was the "best" insurance. It's not. At least not for my family. People, including me, are so high on USAA that they refuse to look at alternatives. Everyone has different stories, different risks, etc. But, with USAA, I cancelled them after 14 years for 2 reasons. 1. I recieved a check, from USAA, for over $3000 after canceling them. It was in my Subscriber Savings account (the account that builds up money over time, and you ONLY get when you leave usaa for 6 months). 2. Geico was $240 less every six months.

Also, my wife was hit my an uninsured, hit and run driver, in florida...and usaa said it was her fault. We had to pay the deductible, and our insurance was raised. USAA is full of themselves. They are good, until you have an issue. Geico has been great. We've had some fender benders that weren't our fault, and they quickly processed the claim. NO ISSUES at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay