U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,994 times

Advertisements

my subdivision has a HOA, it's $10 a year. I dont find it scarily restrictive. Across the street from me is a subdiv with none in place, and they look after their homes well. Its in Largo/seminole just south of Walsingham in pinellas county.
Quite a lot of seminole and largo are like this and there are pockets of really nice subdivisions within it.
When you have decided on your area, find a local realtor who really knows the location so they can show you what you want. Unfortunately the housing climate, lots of foreclosures, homes that are rented to keep the owners afloat with banks etc., doesn't make for a caring attitude when it comes to upkeep. You will find somewhere I am certain, and there is a lot of choice. But previous posters are pretty well right, so many new homes are under HOAs that can be a pain unless you are a Stepford family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,534,975 times
There are many neighborhoods without HOA's that you can still find a newer home.

Yes, some of the surrounding homes may be older but if you take Dunedin as an example you can find newer homes mixed in with older homes that have been well kept and they are not in a restrictive community..

You can find them throughout Clearwater on up to NPR.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,994 times
Yes Mike you are right, around about there are new builds on lots between older homes too that goes for many locations around pinellas/pasco

Old 08-28-2009, 04:35 AM

316 posts, read 967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
my subdivision has a HOA, it's $10 a year. I dont find it scarily restrictive. Across the street from me is a subdiv with none in place, and they look after their homes well. Its in Largo/seminole just south of Walsingham in pinellas county.
Quite a lot of seminole and largo are like this and there are pockets of really nice subdivisions within it.
When you have decided on your area, find a local realtor who really knows the location so they can show you what you want. Unfortunately the housing climate, lots of foreclosures, homes that are rented to keep the owners afloat with banks etc., doesn't make for a caring attitude when it comes to upkeep. You will find somewhere I am certain, and there is a lot of choice. But previous posters are pretty well right, so many new homes are under HOAs that can be a pain unless you are a Stepford family
Actually Seminole is on our list $10 is ok..but they can change that at their whim...but it sounds like you have a board with common sense.

I'd also like to thank you - you hit the nail on the head "Stepford Family" LOL we definitely are not!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 78,771 times
Communities with Low HOA's are the best. Can't put a price on pride in ownership.

I've lived in 7 homes in this area 5 w/out HOA's that wen't downhill. Groves subdivision now is 20 yrs old, just off Alderman & 19 east in Palm Harbor with very reasonable ($300/yr) HOA. Reasonable? Yes, lots of bang for the buck esp when you go to sell. No expensive amenities and not "policed" but just enough to keep the "neighbor" -hood grounds nice and insurance up. It's gone up since I moved in, but still the Best investment I've ever made.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 AM

I'll prefer to find an area where "Pride of Ownership" is key.. then perhaps I won't find "play dates" for our last one at home.....another frustrating issue..

Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,534,975 times
I think around Dunedin, Ozona, Crystal Beach and on the west side of Palm Harbor would give you more than enough choice.
You can find quite a few well kept areas that are not in an HOA but still have well kept neighborhoods.

You also have Fred Howard park up in Tarpon Springs so if you went with one of the northern areas you have that beach to hit also as an alternate to Clearwater Beach, usually a little less crowded.
It is currently closed for some bridge repairs and other stuff but scheduled to reopen shortly.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks Mike.... the perfect area? a neighborhood with kids...ones that do not need playdates.... a neighborhood with no HOA....but has pride of ownership.... most of all that is what we want...or I guess we just move back to the midwest until the last one leaves the nest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay