U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 PM

8,910 posts, read 7,775,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Good reasons to move to Tampa:

Winters are GREAT! Summers too hot though, but this IS Florida.

Plenty of wonderful beaches and beach activities like boating, wave runner, snorkling, seashell hunting, etc.

Fun things for people with kids (Busch Garden, Disney/Universal not too far, Lowry Park Zoo, Florida Aquarium, etc).

I came down from NJ where EVERYTHING you do has a crowd. I use to wait an hour in line to pick up my prescriptions. Now I pull up to the drive thru, no hassle. Grocery shopping in NJ, I had to circle around and around just to park my car. Forget about the actually shoppping experience. In Tampa, I have never had to park my car more than 10 parking spaces away from the store. The workers are very pleasant too, and they bag your groceries! I had to bag my own in NJ.

Hardly a line for the movies, and they have stadium seating, something you rarely find in NJ.

I like the year round activities. Even in the HOT summer months, you can enjoy the outdoors like the beach and pool.

If I sat here long enough, I would probably find a few more things that I do like about Tampa and Florida.

Now I am one of the ones that does not like living here. If I could, I would still move back, but we are stuck here. These are some of the things I appreciate living in Tampa.
What is it that you DON'T like about Tampa, if you don't mind my asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,204,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What is it that you DON'T like about Tampa, if you don't mind my asking?
I find the people down here to be rude, ignorant and have a me first mentality. I know that is a broad statement. I have met some pretty fabulous people down here.

I also find the people to be not too bright. I have had more problems and mistakes with doctors offices, pharmacies, stores, etc. No apology was ever made in any of the errors. I lived in NYC and NJ most of my life and NEVER had the same degree of mistakes. If there were a mistake, they would try to fix it and offer an apology.

The drivers are terrible. We came down with a company that moved 350 families. We were all from either NYC or NJ. As people starting moving down, people reported that they were scared to drive here. I've heared about more accidents and more fatal accidents than NYC/NJ. I have only gotten into one accident in my life and others that I know have only gotten into 1 or less accidents in NYC/NJ. Down here, I know people that tell me they have been in multiple accidents. People rear-ending another, running red lights, drug/alcohol related accidents, speeding, etc. It seems that red lights are meaningless. I have gotten into the habit of looking both ways before proceeding when my light turns green.

The schools suck! The education is about 1 1/2 years behind where I lived previously and lack the extra programs like foreign language, a real art and music program, theater class, dance/yoga program, etc. and all this in the elementary level. The kids are mean. Granted kids can be mean anywhere. However, I find the kids down here are much worse. I have spoken to others who came came down from NYC/NJ and say the same thing. The people were I live are snobs and superficial. They care more about appearances than the person. If no one is around, they will say hi, otherwise you are invisible. As I mentioned before, it is a generalization and I have met some fabulous people.

I can go on, but you get the idea.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I find the people down here to be rude, ignorant and have a me first mentality. I know that is a broad statement. I have met some pretty fabulous people down here.

I also find the people to be not too bright. I have had more problems and mistakes with doctors offices, pharmacies, stores, etc. No apology was ever made in any of the errors. I lived in NYC and NJ most of my life and NEVER had the same degree of mistakes. If there were a mistake, they would try to fix it and offer an apology.

The drivers are terrible. We came down with a company that moved 350 families. We were all from either NYC or NJ. As people starting moving down, people reported that they were scared to drive here. I've heared about more accidents and more fatal accidents than NYC/NJ. I have only gotten into one accident in my life and others that I know have only gotten into 1 or less accidents in NYC/NJ. Down here, I know people that tell me they have been in multiple accidents. People rear-ending another, running red lights, drug/alcohol related accidents, speeding, etc. It seems that red lights are meaningless. I have gotten into the habit of looking both ways before proceeding when my light turns green.

The schools suck! The education is about 1 1/2 years behind where I lived previously and lack the extra programs like foreign language, a real art and music program, theater class, dance/yoga program, etc. and all this in the elementary level. The kids are mean. Granted kids can be mean anywhere. However, I find the kids down here are much worse. I have spoken to others who came came down from NYC/NJ and say the same thing. The people were I live are snobs and superficial. They care more about appearances than the person. If no one is around, they will say hi, otherwise you are invisible. As I mentioned before, it is a generalization and I have met some fabulous people.

I can go on, but you get the idea.
I completely agree with you about the intellect, mistakes, and the driving issues.

I have never seen so many misakes, we had a relative overdosed for 12 days in a hospital here and nobody caught it. It was a very common medication and she was triple dosed on a daily basis and no one picked up on it, until she went into the coma. She was put into a coma and spent the next 8 months in various facilities. Learned a lot about healthcare in Florida, and it is not good. I don't find the people rude but just not very bright, whether you are in a doctor's office or in a store simple tasks are made difficult.

And unless they kill you it is almost impossible to sue for malpractice in FL. My doctor in CA told me that FL get doctors who have screwed up in other states. You have to be very careful here.

I have never seen worse drivers. I grew up in NY and then moved to CA to attend college. Have been all over the US and the drivers here scare me. We had another relative t-boned by a 79 yr old woman who didn't even know she hit another car. When I asked will she be evaluated to see about taking her license away they looked at me like I had two heads.

This woman drove through a parking lot at 40 miles an hour and out onto a road without stopping. Our relative left in an ambulance, car was totaled, and all this woman got was a ticket. Her only concern was why is her car was being towed. Between the elderly and the poorly trained FL driver it is scary. Many also drive here with no car insurance.

In CA this woman would have been brought in for an evaluation and her DL suspended pending the outcome. Here they do whatever they want on the road. It is the land of the lawless.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 AM

8,910 posts, read 7,775,785 times
So Many Problems

Thanks for your clarification. The medical mistakes, especially, are scary. We had a couple of bad medical situations in our family in SE FL, so I know what you mean. The bad drivers are another scary problem. And there is little one can do to protect oneself from either of these situations. It's a shame, because Tampa used to be a really nice place. Growth brings the nut cases down to FL. In Miami we had mostly people from other 3rd world countries who created the driving problems; it seems to be the old people in Tampa. So it's all really a trade-off--how much does the warm weather and beach make up for the other problems. Too bad that the state has let everything deteriorate in FL, even with two successively good governors.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 AM

15,021 posts, read 10,480,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So Many Problems

Too bad that the state has let everything deteriorate in FL, even with two successively good governors.

If the two successively good governors were so successively, why are we having all these problems? I think not.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,184,066 times
I will comment on the medical mistakes. Do your proper research before picking a medical professional. My husband is a MD and he is in high demand here because he has no strikes against his medical license. ALOT of the physicians that move here are actually from up north/east, and got their license in trouble up there, due to ethics, mistakes, etc, and therefore moved and got a FL license. So do your research, most is easily available online.

Also, yes, with some exceptions, the schools are definitely behind. Our daughter goes to private here and is happy, but the public system leaves something to be desired. Again, research needs to be done before picking an area to ensure good schools. I have lived in other states where a good neighborhood=good schools, that is not the case at all here.

Otherwise, traffic is traffic, its hard to get away from anywhere you live, and people complain about it everywhere regardless.
Culture is abundant, natural beauty is everywhere. What I like most is how easy it is to get away! This past Saturday, we drove 45 minutes to Anna Maria Island for a beach/picnic day...then drove another 30 min to Sarasota for dinner and shopping and a night out. Then one hour later we were home. There are so many more options at your disposal here, which is great fun.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,204,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I will comment on the medical mistakes. Do your proper research before picking a medical professional. My husband is a MD and he is in high demand here because he has no strikes against his medical license. ALOT of the physicians that move here are actually from up north/east, and got their license in trouble up there, due to ethics, mistakes, etc, and therefore moved and got a FL license. So do your research, most is easily available online.

Also, yes, with some exceptions, the schools are definitely behind. Our daughter goes to private here and is happy, but the public system leaves something to be desired. Again, research needs to be done before picking an area to ensure good schools. I have lived in other states where a good neighborhood=good schools, that is not the case at all here.

Otherwise, traffic is traffic, its hard to get away from anywhere you live, and people complain about it everywhere regardless.
Culture is abundant, natural beauty is everywhere. What I like most is how easy it is to get away! This past Saturday, we drove 45 minutes to Anna Maria Island for a beach/picnic day...then drove another 30 min to Sarasota for dinner and shopping and a night out. Then one hour later we were home. There are so many more options at your disposal here, which is great fun.
I agree with the natural beauty. The poster wanted to know what are the good things with this area. There are lots of good things. You can probably find good and bad in any place.

Anna Maria is my personal favorite beach. I love the restaurant that is right on the beach (The Sandbar).

At any rate. You have to weigh the good with the bad. I would like to return to NJ, but we are trying to make the best of our situation. Like enjoying the beach, Busch Gardens, year round activities, u-pick farms, etc.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,464,267 times
I live in Tampa and I like it. It's worked for me for the most part.

Overall, traffic is okay. It's bad where you'd expect it to be bad. For example, it's very heavy on the roads out to the suburbs.

Some schools are bad, others are good. Most of the suburban ones are worthwhile, while you'd probably want to stay away from the inner-city.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM
MT8

60 posts, read 170,800 times
I hate how people refuse to use their turn signals. It's annoying.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,502,877 times
Absolutely none, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or