U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,965,658 times

Advertisements

Compared to larger cities there is a lack of museums, theatre, fine dining etc. Look it is to be expected.

Why so sensitive? Do you honestly think you're going to find the same venues you do in larger cities. Houston is a much larger city.

I find this area is very sports minded, and there is nothing wrong with that, but you don't find too many people here who are well rounded.

I was talking to someone here the other day regarding the Gov. of South Carolina and how he ran off to Argentina. I made a joke regarding "Evita", they didn't know what I was talking about.

I said you know "Don't Cry for me Argentina", clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM

86 posts, read 215,699 times
Just to chime in about culture etc, I moved here from New York City 6 yrs ago and continue to be favorably surprised about the amount of culture in Tampa Bay Metro. A prior post mentioned air quality, something I don't think about much because it's relatively good here. From what I've heard, Houston is right up there with Los Angeles in terms of air quality issues. As far as health care, with an aging population, Houston has Andersen Cancer Center- pretty sure #1 in USA. Moffitt here is quite good too.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,768,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Compared to larger cities there is a lack of museums, theatre, fine dining etc. Look it is to be expected.

Why so sensitive? Do you honestly think you're going to find the same venues you do in larger cities. Houston is a much larger city.

I find this area is very sports minded, and there is nothing wrong with that, but you don't find too many people here who are well rounded.

I was talking to someone here the other day regarding the Gov. of South Carolina and how he ran off to Argentina. I made a joke regarding "Evita", they didn't know what I was talking about.

Seain dublin, im the last person to get sensitive chatting with strangers on this forum thing...im am very secure in knowing what i have here in tampa, and for a city of this size, there are definitely an adequate amount of theater, performaing arts, museums, art, and culture...alot more than other cities similar in size...one just has to view the arts and culture sections of creative loafing, tbt or the like, and those only gives a small sample of whats in the area.

I just wanted to know specifically what was missing, because I am very much into the arts and culture here, I am on several comittees, and we ask everyone who visits or resides here what is missing...so that is why I am asking.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,700 times
My wife and I are also considering Houston or Tampa... we have visited both within the last 4 months and by and far Tampa wins. The only thing that Houston has over Tampa (for us) is slightly higher pay. A few things that struck me about Houston:

1) Drivers in Houston are INSANE. They don't use turn signals and they ignore turn signals. They ignore the speed limits and are rude all around.

2) In the Houston metro, we saw so many houses with walls, tall fences, locked gates, bars over windows, etc... it looked like a warzone. This even in some of the better areas. What are the people there so afraid of?

St. Pete / Tampa Bay have better roads, better drivers, affordable cost of living, and incredible beaches within minutes! We are sold.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM

8,585 posts, read 17,149,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I married into a family of opera nerds who would have missed the reference- they won't have anything to do with ALW or his music because they think he's an utter hack.

Everyone's got different preferences when it comes to the arts.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM

15,759 posts, read 32,822,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy55 View Post
My wife and I are also considering Houston or Tampa... we have visited both within the last 4 months and by and far Tampa wins. The only thing that Houston has over Tampa (for us) is slightly higher pay. A few things that struck me about Houston:

1) Drivers in Houston are INSANE. They don't use turn signals and they ignore turn signals. They ignore the speed limits and are rude all around.

2) In the Houston metro, we saw so many houses with walls, tall fences, locked gates, bars over windows, etc... it looked like a warzone. This even in some of the better areas. What are the people there so afraid of?

St. Pete / Tampa Bay have better roads, better drivers, affordable cost of living, and incredible beaches within minutes! We are sold.
Good choice! I've only been to Houston once, and I can only say that I never saw a place more devoid of everything that I love (except for maybe Bakersfield, CA lol). I really, really hated the dirty air, lack of lush and natural beauty that we have here, plus it's almost a requirement for me to live near the water. Florida has much nicer air quality since we are surrounded by the salty oceans and have breezes they blow the bad stuff off.

Tampa Bay area may not be perfect, but NO place is, this area is still a great place to live with a lot to offer.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Have you driven in Tampa? LOL, they don't know what a turn signal is here. And unlike TX, Florida doesn't impound cars when they have no car insurance. They get a ticket and keep driving.

FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers. There is also no state inspection of vehicles so they drive with no brakes and bald tires. I actually saw a rusted on old Ford Maverick on the road a couple of months ago...LOL.

And better roads? Houston has major freeways, FL ranks 41 out of the 50 states in highway safety.

I will agree the air quality is better than Houston, but roads here are awful. US 19 is rated at one of the deadliest in the nation.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM

156 posts, read 425,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsantig View Post
My husband has the option of relocating and his company has two branches: Tampa, Fl or Houston, TX.
We’re a family of 4 with 2 kids in elementary school. I would appreciate any information in which city is better in terms of public schools, safer communities, good neighborhoods, better cost of living, etc. We come from Puerto Rico so the hot weather isn’t an issue.
The OP wrote a similar post of the Houston forum. This was my reply:

I think I am qualified to answer these questions. I recently relocated to Houston from the Tampa Bay area (10 year resident). Everything you mentioned, Houston is better. Florida's education system is near the bottom of the barrel when compared to other states. The Tampa Bay area is near the top in crime rates. There are nice neighborhoods in Tampa; however, you will pay a premium to live there. The cost living, specifically housing and insurances, is nearly twice that of Houston. I cut my car insurance by 2/3rd and my homeowners insurance by 3/4th. I would also add employment opportunities are more abundant in Houston (but getting tighter) and the salaries are higher.

Given everything I just said, I would still give my left... pinky finger to have my life back in Florida. It's my home. It's all I know. I left behind my friends and way of life.

I would give Tampa the edge in overall beauty and nice beaches; but, everything else goes to Houston.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 425,025 times
Quote:

You are wrong. How can you write an objective post and have never lived in neither place?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 PM

I still can't get over the better roads comment. Houston has a major freeway system, Tampa does not.

US 41, US 19 are very dangerous roads. Parts of US 41 are one lane in each directon. OP doesn't know what they're talking about.

The roads in TX are way better than FL. I posted earlier FL ranks 41 out of the 50 states in highway safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or