Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 AM

10 posts, read 59,713 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there with RA? How do you feel in this type of climate? I am 43 yrs old wanting to move from cold winters to warmer climate preferably in the keys. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 15,226 times
I am 27 yr old Florida native. I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 12 and still struggle with joint pain and constant swelling of my lower joints. I cant imagine living in a cold state, I absolutely love florida, however, the humidity is definately a factor. Winters can get down into the low 20s at the coldest but usually feel much colder because of the humidity. It also rains a decent amount contrary to popular belief that we are the sunshine state....i wake up stiff and achy and can tell it ill be raining the next day. Nonetheless, I'd still rather live here than in a state where it snows. I hope this helps you.
Carrie

Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethekeys View Post
Is anyone out there with RA? How do you feel in this type of climate? I am 43 yrs old wanting to move from cold winters to warmer climate preferably in the keys. Any input?
I don't think it is going to help you here. I can only tell you I have it and suffer with it everyday. It may not be cold here, but it doesn't prevent your symptoms for being prevalent, at least in my case. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but in all honesty..I can only tell you my experiences.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
YEAH, ALL this humidity makes it worst! I'm the 1st to know when it will be raining!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM

47 posts, read 145,287 times
I have RA and the only place that helps me is the desert. I'm getting ready to move to the Phoenix area, even tho I love Florida more.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 AM

112 posts, read 224,721 times
Hi, I was diagnosed with RA in 2003. I moved from Ohio to St. Pete in 2001 and stayed for 8 years. Like above posters, the humidity exacerbated my RA. Allergies didn't help. I moved to Las Vegas in 2008 and my RA symptoms have greatly improved. Consider moving west. I wish you the best of luck in both finding a new place to live to help with your RA.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM

314 posts, read 1,181,994 times
I have an auto-immune disease with many of the same symptoms of RA. I feel like I'm going to die on humid days in Florida! I'm able to spend a great deal of time in North Carolina and am soooo much better there...not nearly the stiffness and pain as in FL.

Looking forward to leaving FL for good in the near future. I can't understand all the "seniors" flocking to this state as so many of them have health issues that FL weather aggravates.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM

47 posts, read 145,287 times
Thanks everyone for your posts. Even tho I'm not a big fan of the desert, I plan to relocate to the Phoenix area within the next 2 months. I think it can only help me. The beach weather here in SoCal is humid like Florida, but without the warmer temperatures. Today it's 65 degrees and foggy -- in August! It's more like San Francisco or London. lol. I'll miss the beach when I leave, but I won't miss the fog.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Every winter, I go through this, as it can get very cold here in Las Vegas in the winter, and being an arthritis sufferer, I thought my retirement spot was cast in stone, then this winter my thoughts drifted towards Florida to retire, figuring no more cold desert winters, wear sandals year round in Miami area, but the arthritis issue came up, and being I haven't suffered from it since living in the desert SW after I left Minnesota 18 years ago, I now see from these few posts that all that rain and humidity may bring my arthritis back in my retirment years if I move there.

So this thread is hardly encouraging. So I may be stuck here in the desert SW, with their cold desert winters afterall.

I'm not going to base my decision on this thread only, as I'm still hoping for some encouragement from furthur research.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Every winter, I go through this, as it can get very cold here in Las Vegas in the winter, and being an arthritis sufferer, I thought my retirement spot was cast in stone, then this winter my thoughts drifted towards Florida to retire, figuring no more cold desert winters, wear sandals year round in Miami area, but the arthritis issue came up, and being I haven't suffered from it since living in the desert SW after I left Minnesota 18 years ago, I now see from these few posts that all that rain and humidity may bring my arthritis back in my retirment years if I move there.

So this thread is hardly encouraging. So I may be stuck here in the desert SW, with their cold desert winters afterall.

I'm not going to base my decision on this thread only, as I'm still hoping for some encouragement from furthur research.
tijlover, everyone is different. A lot of people actually feel BETTER with some humidity. I have some mild arthritis and I love Florida (I'm a native). I have been out west and HATED the cold winters. I also just don't like really dry air.

There is no one place in the country where it will be ideal conditions 365 days of the year, so you need to choose the place that suits your needs MOST of the time. For me, that is coastal Florida (I live in Sarasota). The salty smelling air also helps with my allergies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay