Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 PM

14 posts, read 31,863 times

Advertisements

It seems the original question was asking more about nursing education than nursing as a whole here in Florida. I have relatives with their BSN. I see a big difference here in the nursing educations than what I was used to living other states. I've never seen so many LPNs in my lifetime. Not that people don't want to be nurses or complete a BSN, but just that people are in such a tough spot in every which way possible that they lack the opportunity, for various reasons, to be able to go beyond LPN. I think an overwhelming majority are either choosing, or based on circumstances, currently not doing more than they must to get by. Maybe people have finally realized it's not all it's cracked up to be to be in a leadership position and that's why they don't go beyond LPN. Maybe this just isn't as competitive a nature as I'm accustomed but I see not just a lack in opportunity for some but just an overall lack of ambition here compared to other areas of the country I've lived. Again that may go back to people's circumstances. I'm sure someone will now chime in about the overall quality of education of this state next Just my observations. Not trying to ding anyone. I don't think my comments pertain strictly to nursing either. Again, JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyGen View Post
It seems the original question was asking more about nursing education than nursing as a whole here in Florida. I have relatives with their BSN. I see a big difference here in the nursing educations than what I was used to living other states. I've never seen so many LPNs in my lifetime. Not that people don't want to be nurses or complete a BSN, but just that people are in such a tough spot in every which way possible that they lack the opportunity, for various reasons, to be able to go beyond LPN. I think an overwhelming majority are either choosing, or based on circumstances, currently not doing more than they must to get by. Maybe people have finally realized it's not all it's cracked up to be to be in a leadership position and that's why they don't go beyond LPN. Maybe this just isn't as competitive a nature as I'm accustomed but I see not just a lack in opportunity for some but just an overall lack of ambition here compared to other areas of the country I've lived. Again that may go back to people's circumstances. I'm sure someone will now chime in about the overall quality of education of this state next Just my observations. Not trying to ding anyone. I don't think my comments pertain strictly to nursing either. Again, JMHO.
Well said. The medical care in Florida is not that great. Many people go up north when they need surgery.

It ties in with the lower rate of pay here.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
I've only seen one case of poor FL health care. They went to drain an artery in my dad's neck and I don't how the heck you tear up vocal cords doing that, but it happened. Turns out it was a Surgeon from NY who relocated here and went into practice.

Had to get my dad away from the "Broadway Butcher" as I call him now and took him to Shands in Gainesville. The Drs at Shands (Florida raised and educated by the way...I made damn sure it wouldn't happen again) were stunned at what had happened, said it was less than a 2% chance of that happening). They said frankly, they've never seen it before. The Shands Drs repaired the damage after 2 surgeries well enough to restore about 60% of my dad's former voice.

I don't know what the hell they use to train Drs in New York with, they must let them carve on pumpkins or gourds and hand em a medical certificate. To top it off some girl from the "broadway butcher's" office called about a year later saying my dad owed them $80 for something his
insurance didn't cover so I clipped a full page medical malpractice attorney's ad out of the phonebook, put it in a envelope minus the $80 and mailed it to him. Never heard from him after that.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 AM

31 posts, read 74,930 times
I am a RN with 12 years experience in critical care planning to start my first travel assignment in Tampa in November and I Can't Wait! I am so excited about moving there and I look forward to enjoying all the nice things I read about in this forum. To anyone considering a move; I would suggest that you look to yourself to make your situation more or less than it can be. I gave up an interesting and very successful career in advertising because it was meaningless. Nursing is a service and an intellectual challenge every day, every patient and you bring your own level of quality to the job regardless of where you are.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
There are many hospitals in FL I wouldn't trust the doctors at in FL. I for one won't be going to a hospital if it's not a teaching one. I'd bet you'd find RN's with a four year degree if you went to Tampa General or Shands.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I've only seen one case of poor FL health care. They went to drain an artery in my dad's neck and I don't how the heck you tear up vocal cords doing that, but it happened. Turns out it was a Surgeon from NY who relocated here and went into practice.

Had to get my dad away from the "Broadway Butcher" as I call him now and took him to Shands in Gainesville. The Drs at Shands (Florida raised and educated by the way...I made damn sure it wouldn't happen again) were stunned at what had happened, said it was less than a 2% chance of that happening). They said frankly, they've never seen it before. The Shands Drs repaired the damage after 2 surgeries well enough to restore about 60% of my dad's former voice.

I don't know what the hell they use to train Drs in New York with, they must let them carve on pumpkins or gourds and hand em a medical certificate. To top it off some girl from the "broadway butcher's" office called about a year later saying my dad owed them $80 for something his
insurance didn't cover so I clipped a full page medical malpractice attorney's ad out of the phonebook, put it in a envelope minus the $80 and mailed it to him. Never heard from him after that.
Moderator cut: personal attack just because a doctor came from NY doesn't make him a good doctor.

It is fact doctors who have lost their right to practice head to Florida. They come from all over the country and practice here.

FL has always ranked in the bottom of the US when it comes to healthcare.

Yes there are no good hospitals in NY...LOL..that is why people come from all over the world to go Mt. Sinai, Columbia, etc.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Read the ToS.. calling ppl ignorant is against the ToS.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
^^^^^^Thanks for your concern and input, but sadly the NY doctor didn't lose his liscense before he crossed the state line, if NY would have been doing it's job and suspended his liscense up there and properly educated him, the grief he caused my dad could've been prevented, but it's too late now.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 PM

162 posts, read 677,569 times
A lot of hospitals have reduced staff, hours, and benefits. The nursing homes and visiting nurses seem to have more openings but I *believe* they only require an LPN or have more openings for those. I've spoken with a few LPNs recently who have chosen to go back to school to become surgical techs or dental hygienists because they said the pay and hours were better.

Right now everyone is thinking they should be flocking to healthcare as a profession but I think there are more qualified nurses being hired from outside the state to fill the BSN type positions.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 22,156 times
A lot of the hospitals will offer a scholarship to get a better degree in nursing.
I think there is a deal, you would have to work for them for a year after
Might ck into that. Or get into a side occupation like xray tech, mammogram tech, RT, etc.
If you do not want to do floor nursing forever.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
The Department of Health and Human Services through The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's (AHRQ) whose mission is to improve the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care for all Americans ranks the state of Florida as average for hospital care in the US. That is coming from the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans. End of story. What many people and news agencies report on is the overall rankings which combine hospital, nursing home, home health, ambulatory care, etc. into one lump sum. There are areas that can be improved in the state without question, but if you went to the state with the best health care in the country, the state of HI, you would come across areas the state of HI needs improvements in. It's a well known fact that states that are wealthier and have higher average wages also have a higher healthcare ranking. This doesn't mean the quality is better in wealthier states. There are many, many variables that play into this. States with lower incomes usually have lower numbers of insured citizens who don't get the needed care they need up front because they can't afford it. They also tend to get care when they are very sick. Violent crime, illegal immigrants, the very young and very old not getting vaccinated, etc. all lead to issues in the healthcare system. Look at the overall picture as well. The AHRQ records from 1999 to the present show that overall care has improved in the state. In some cases like cancer care the state of Florida ranks very high.
Another point. If a doctor losses his/her right to practice in another state, then they would not be able to practice anywhere else. It would show up on their record no matter where they went, just as if myself or anyone else in medicine did something wrong, it would follow us forever. If a state fails to take action against a doctor and they went to another state to practice, then that state is to blame for doing nothing.
When someone becomes an LPN, they have only completed the educational requirements to become an LPN. If that person wanted to become an RN, then they would have to complete more education and clinical training. The same for a BSN. It's not leadership roles that RN's and many if not most BSN's fill, it's clinical roles that are held. Many RN's Get their BSN to further their education. In most cases it won't even get you a raise. It is tough on a person especially in these tough financial times to have a family or work full time and go to school at the same time. Some do it, but most don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay