U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 14,548 times

Advertisements

My last thread about nursing in the Tampa area. How do other nurses feel about nursing opportunities in Tampa? Do nurses find it difficult to complete their ADN or BSN Degree? Is there much drive to move past an LPN position to an RN position?
Here in PA there is a lot of drive to complete the degree however I've heard that Florida the mentality is much different. I understand that you can't judge everything by one person's comment (Which I do appreciate your feedback) but would be grateful for any further insight.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,965,658 times
I can just tell from you what I observed in dealing with a family member who was in various hospitals and rehabs after being overdosed and put into a coma due to negligence and just plain inept medical care in FL.

Most of the nurses were LPNs not RNs. One rehab only had one RN on staff.

The salaries are low here and FL allows the nurse/patient ratio to be much higher compared to other states. For example one nurse handling more than 20 patients.

Why anyone would want to be nurse in FL is beyond me. They make less money and have more patients to deal with.

Even the nurses who came to the house for homecare told us they were given a heavy caseload of seeing 7 or 8 patients a day, this was when gas was $4 a gallon.
So their stipend wasn't even coming close to covering their fuel costs.

I am sure nurses can give you more insight, but we dealt with many nurses over this 8 month period and the ones who came from other states( usually the NE) complained about the salary and the work load.

But it doesn't snow...LOL.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,930,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I can just tell from you what I observed in dealing with a family member who was in various hospitals and rehabs after being overdosed and put into a coma due to negligence and just plain inept medical care in FL.

Most of the nurses were LPNs not RNs. One rehab only had one RN on staff.

The salaries are low here and FL allows the nurse/patient ratio to be much higher compared to other states. For example one nurse handling more than 20 patients.

Why anyone would want to be nurse in FL is beyond me. They make less money and have more patients to deal with.

Even the nurses who came to the house for homecare told us they were given a heavy caseload of seeing 7 or 8 patients a day, this was when gas was $4 a gallon.
So their stipend wasn't even coming close to covering their fuel costs.

I am sure nurses can give you more insight, but we dealt with many nurses over this 8 month period and the ones who came from other states( usually the NE) complained about the salary and the work load.

But it doesn't snow...LOL.
I guess they are not doing something right, my g/f made more money in FL than she does up here in MI being a nurse and she had some RN friends who had a sweet deal.......go pull 1 double shift (16 hours) and they got paid for 40.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM

219 posts, read 529,727 times
I always love these post!!!! Not because of the information but just because I always get a kick out of the post by seain dublin. It amazes me that somebody could be so negative about EVERYTHING. I am not sure what your goal is here...but I do find them amusing so please don't stop. I am sure that if you are a nurse that your negative attitude reflects into the care you give your patients. Good for you...make somebodies hospital experience even worse by raising their anxiety and portraying the "I don't give a damn about you...I just want my paycheck" attitude. I love having the opportunity to meet a nurse like you and free up your future by not having you work in any of my facilities again.

Now to your post. As far as ease of going from ADN to BSN. Most of the colleges offer the degree which is mostly online with minimal clinical time. My wife is doing her's now through USF and I was surprised how easy it is. The pay will not greatly differ until you get into the management or leadership realm...there you will see a difference, but honestly they base most salaries on two things....years of exp and how bad they want you! There is a difference is the hospital needed staff and a hospital wanting staff. I always encourage getting your BSN. It will open doors to getting into leadership roles (if that's your thing).

The LPN transition seems pretty good to. I have two LPNs who work for me, both a semester away from RN. They are able to work full time and still function in school without issue.

You will get a lot of different opinions. I always say to each their own. Do what is best to make yourself marketable and what is right for your career.

And this is just my opinion.

Best of luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,965,658 times
I guess you didn't even read my post as I clearly stated twice that I wasn't a nurse, just a comment on the healthcare in Florida due to a family illness.

So much for reading my post.....LOL.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,216,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
I always love these post!!!! Not because of the information but just because I always get a kick out of the post by seain dublin. It amazes me that somebody could be so negative about EVERYTHING. I am not sure what your goal is here...but I do find them amusing so please don't stop.
I AGREE WITH THIS 110%

Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,548 times
I agree as well

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,194,206 times
He is talking about most likely one hospital during one admission. Hardly a fair outlook on what the healthcare system is like. I work in healthcare, granted not in Florida(yet), but I have many, many freinds who work in the state and they have nothing but great things to say for the most part. If I told you that your workplaced sucks and that wasn't the case, you might take it to heart. We love what we do and what we do for others. Don't generalize the whole healthcare field because of one experience or an observed experience. Sometimes what one observes is not the real truth. Walk in our shoes then you can comment on it.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 AM

265 posts, read 884,027 times
You gotta give Seain some credit, at least we're not getting the whole California is better routine anymore.

Seain likes making sweeping statements about healthcare in Florida, but cant back it up with any cold hard facts. I'm still waiting to find out which hospital has a 20:1 Nurse to patient ratio!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 14,904 times
I am a nurse in Florida, and traveled prior to settling here. Healthcare is pretty standardized accross the US thanks to Jchao. (our good good friend- HA!) I have never heard of a 20:1 ratio in a hospital, or a lot of lpns in hospitals anymore, however I do think nsg homes use mostly lpns and cnas for the majority of bedside care and usually have an rn as the paperwork/charge nurse position. I highly recommend this career if you want to make a difference, but please don't become a nurse for the money, hours, job security etc. We do pretty well but it should never be a defining factor. And be aware that DC politics look like tiddlywinks compared to some hospitals, lol (a little exaggerated but you get the gist!) I do not rec anyone to get their LPN anymore but can tell you the only advantage of BSN vs ASN is leadreship positions. I have had many AS nurses I know that are just as, if not more prepared for floor nursing as the BS nurses, imho. That said I've been an AS degree for 5 years and am now settled in Tampa, starting my BS in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay