U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:34 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,633,602 times

Advertisements

That is a really bad story rcopass, I am sorry your experience was so bad. I do have friends who live just before the bridge at Coquina Key, and have lived there and still do very happily, I think you are correct that there are problems around CK. The actual development is 24hr gated, and it's really nice inside. I actually went to look at about 24 of them at least last week . The resi area around there is patchy, but its not like living in a ghetto with crack dealers on every street corner. I do think that there are many great areas of pinellas county and the greater Tampa Bay area you can live in. Dont think that we can do much about the cost of electric though. Tax and insurance for renters at this point is not so bad, when you buy, well that's another story of course, but even the taxes have come down somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcopass View Post
I lived on Coquina Key one street up from the apts./condos for twelve years. The area went steadily down hill: you can't leave your garage door open without inviting thieves, you need a burglar alarm, can't leave your car in your driveway overnight, and on and on. The two final straws were having two local 7th graders try to steal my car from my driveway in the middle of the afternoon, and the fact that any street longer than a block turned into a speed-limit free drag strip. We moved to New Hampshire, friends across the street moved to Colorado, etc. I don't think you'd be moving away from those things you list in Boston, just changing their complexion a bit. After all that time living on the water, we had begun to feel as though we were prey. Florida has changed, and not for the better. Also, the electric bills really are that high, and the taxes for new owners, as well as insurance rates, may very well add up to significantly more than your mortgage. I swore I'd never sell my house and leave St. Pete but it had to go and change on me...
The interior of the island is completely different from the waterfront.

I have a house on Coquina Key Drive (since 2003). The difference between being on the bay side of the canal and the island side of the canal can be dramatic in terms of crime. But I think that you are going to find that in a city this size, there is crime.

Crime for all of St PEtersburg is above average: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

as is Clearwater:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

and Tampa
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you want a place with average or lower crime, go to a place that is average or lower.

I would move back to my home on Coquina Key in a heartbeat if I could get a comparable job. I am a mid-forties female librarian, though. Maybe you aren't as tough as I am.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,967 times
Default Stay Away

Coquina Key is surrounded by a VERY rough neighborhood. No offense to any current residents, but I would think twice about living there. It is a dangerous area. I have sever friends who are former residents of the "nicer" part, but they all moved citing serious safety issues.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 59,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcopass View Post
I lived on Coquina Key one street up from the apts./condos for twelve years. The area went steadily down hill: you can't leave your garage door open without inviting thieves, you need a burglar alarm, can't leave your car in your driveway overnight, and on and on.
I am confused as this is a GATED community! How can this be? And, I would never leave a garage door opened while I wasn't outside anyway. How many cars are stolen from there in a year or a month? I noticed how close it is to downtown St. Pete and wondered but thought it would not be too bad.

The two final straws were having two local 7th graders try to steal my car from my driveway in the middle of the afternoon, and the fact that any street longer than a block turned into a speed-limit free drag strip.
When you say local...you mean they lived at Waterside? What street is the drag strip and is this only at night or during the day?

We moved to New Hampshire, friends across the street moved to Colorado, etc.

Why would anyone want to move back up here to the harsh winters? NH is supposed to be the #1 state w/ lowest mortatliy rate and the crime isn't bad but NH or CO would not be an option that I would like. They must not have liked FL as a general rule.

I don't think you'd be moving away from those things you list in Boston, just changing their complexion a bit. After all that time living on the water, we had begun to feel as though we were prey. Florida has changed, and not for the better.

I hear so many people complain about FL and don't point out any of the nice tihngs. Except my uncle who would never leave FL. He loves it and has been in Spring Hill for about 7 years now.

Also, the electric bills really are that high, and the taxes for new owners, as well as insurance rates, may very well add up to significantly more than your mortgage. I swore I'd never sell my house and leave St. Pete but it had to go and change on me...
How high are the electric bills? It really depends how much you use the electric. Mine in the summer here are around $50 but as much as $130 or more from Nov. to March. I use the oven about 1x week, don't watch TV except during the eve for a few hours, no lights needed in the summer until about 7 or 8 PM & no heat needed in the summer. You didn't say "how much" it is? And, I would be renting and not owning. NO more RE taxes for me. I live in a slum area and my taxes are $2100 per year and condo fee alone is $312 per mos. and I have a 1140 sq. ft. 2 bed/2 bath. And, I make hardly any money up here. No pool. Just an elevator and a parking lot.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL123 View Post
Coquina Key is surrounded by a VERY rough neighborhood. No offense to any current residents, but I would think twice about living there. It is a dangerous area. I have sever friends who are former residents of the "nicer" part, but they all moved citing serious safety issues.
Let's see, if I can live w/ gang bangers in my backyard, drug house across the street, loud parties, yelling & screaming & fights and constantly call the police (gang unit comes), and all these Hispanics who are ruining everything around here then, I guess I could live there in a "rough" neighborhood. Please tell me if Waterside & Coquina Key is as bad as this. Do you have tons of illegal Hispanics running around that yell & scream and wake you up at all hours of the night and yes, two shootings in the past two years?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
That is a really bad story rcopass, I am sorry your experience was so bad. I do have friends who live just before the bridge at Coquina Key, and have lived there and still do very happily, I think you are correct that there are problems around CK. The actual development is 24hr gated, and it's really nice inside. I actually went to look at about 24 of them at least last week .

Thank you Lavender...I am working w/ Mimi Guzman who has Waterside property and is really awesome. 24 units...well, I didn't think they had that many and why did you look at 24? I am finding they are around 1200 per mos. for the 2bed/2bath. She said I could get a free mos. rent. Let me know what you do as I would love to hear more about this. Do you live in St. Pete and/or FL already or relocating?

The resi area around there is patchy, but its not like living in a ghetto with crack dealers on every street corner. I do think that there are many great areas of pinellas county and the greater Tampa Bay area you can live in. Dont think that we can do much about the cost of electric though. Tax and insurance for renters at this point is not so bad, when you buy, well that's another story of course, but even the taxes have come down somewhat.
Check out what I wrote about my living expenses and let me know what you think. My condo is on the market and have a potential buyer currently (had 3 that backed out...no $$ for the most part). $170K for what I described in other paragraph and I bought it in 04 for 215,000. So, what do you all think of those prices? Just curious....

Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,711 times
Wow! I'm going down in a couple of weeks and we were looking at buying a vacation home in waterside at coquina key! but now....y'all are making me think again! any additional info would be really great. thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,134,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Someone on there said that the electric bills can be up around $300 or more per month on one of the one bedroom (560-800 sq. foot) units.
Are they storing milk in their apartment?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 PM

323 posts, read 605,826 times
My BF and I just moved out. The unit (REMODELED) we rented had mold issues (see my previous posts for my original thoughts on this place, very different from now). Everything wooden and some cloth/synthetic materials had mold growing on it. This happened over the course of just 2 weeks. These units were remodeled during the same time frame that numerous Florida homes/buildings were built using toxic Chinese drywall... just food for thought. Good luck to everyone there.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM

323 posts, read 605,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Are they storing milk in their apartment?
Ah, btw. Our electric bill last month was only $70, so in the dead of the summer I would expect more like $100...but not $300 LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay