Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 13,519 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to a home in the Bayport Colony community of Town & Country (off Longboat). I would love to hear from anyone with insight into this community and the area schools. We will have children in Bay Crest Elementary, Farnell Middle and Alonso High Schools.

I'm not finding much on this particular area, but the info I have found is very inconsistent. I am most interested in diversity, crime and overall safety.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
We bought a house there almost 2 years ago but did not live there long, end up selling it and moving. Farnell Middle School was a huge disappointment for us and our daughter. She was used to private schools up north, and Farnell, though an 'A' school by Florida standards was an F by ours. Our daughter told us that in some classes she was repeating 3rd grade work, and this was as a 7th grader! We put her back in private but the commute was too much for me and we ended up moving.

Though the houses, landscaping, water views, Gulf Access, etc of the area are very pretty, and we enjoyed the home, it was just too inconvenient. And when leaving the subdivision, I did not really like what was around either. I don't consider those areas the safest. Though Bay Port was gated, there were several break ins. It was either pretty bland or run down once leaving the subdivision depending on which direction you went. IMO not the best schools either.

Those were our personal feelings about the area. The contained neighborhood itself was nice, and our house was well built, but did not like the area or the schools.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
We bought a house there almost 2 years ago but did not live there long, end up selling it and moving. Farnell Middle School was a huge disappointment for us and our daughter. She was used to private schools up north, and Farnell, though an 'A' school by Florida standards was an F by ours. Our daughter told us that in some classes she was repeating 3rd grade work, and this was as a 7th grader! We put her back in private but the commute was too much for me and we ended up moving.

Though the houses, landscaping, water views, Gulf Access, etc of the area are very pretty, and we enjoyed the home, it was just too inconvenient. And when leaving the subdivision, I did not really like what was around either. I don't consider those areas the safest. Though Bay Port was gated, there were several break ins. It was either pretty bland or run down once leaving the subdivision depending on which direction you went. IMO not the best schools either.

Those were our personal feelings about the area. The contained neighborhood itself was nice, and our house was well built, but did not like the area or the schools.

If you don't mind me asking, what areas around Tampa do you think would be better? I don't know much about the area at all, so I'm going solely on what little info I have been able to find, and the opinions of others. If you know of another area between Tampa/Sarasota that is good, please let me know

Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Where is the job located and what is an acceptable travel time?

I lived in TnC for 15 years and never had any problems except once when some kids drove through our neighborhood (not gated) breaking windows in the middle of the night.

The problem I see with BayPort is the traffic especially during rush hour

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Where is the job located and what is an acceptable travel time?

I lived in TnC for 15 years and never had any problems except once when some kids drove through our neighborhood (not gated) breaking windows in the middle of the night.

The problem I see with BayPort is the traffic especially during rush hour

My husband travels for work and I work from home. So not particularly worried about the commute. Would you recommend this area over Fishhawk? We are trying to decide between two homes. One in Bayport (which is my favorite by far) and other in Fishhawk. I will be in the area next week to tour properties and make final decision, so I will take all the opinions I can get!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: