U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM

161 posts, read 409,077 times

Advertisements

I'm a local and I'm looking to make a list for myself of all the vegetarian/vegan places to eat in the greater tampa bay area. I would prefer places that are primarily vegetarian/vegan, and not ones that just have one or two friendly plates (ie yes i know subway has a veggie sub). Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 AM

95 posts, read 359,511 times
One I really enjoyed is Grass Root on N. Florida Avenue. The website is thegrassrootlife.com. They are open from Tuesday through Saturday.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,188,375 times
I second Grass Roots. It has a nice atmosphere. Though it is pricey.

In St. Pete is a nice place called Leafy Greens Cafe. It is a 95% raw food I have not gone to but heard it is real good. There is a nice website: www.happycow.net. You can find vegetarian restaurants all over the world. www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/florida/st_petersburg/ for St. Pete restaurants and St Petersburg Vegetarian Restaurants -HappyCow- Health Food / Vegan Dining Florida, FL for the Tampa restaurants.

Trang on Fowler Ave, near Nebraska, is a Vietnamese restaurant that has a large vegan section with fake meat. I personally don't like the food very much. If they gave more vegetables and less fake meat, I might like it better. There is a vegan meetup group that meets there once a month on a Saturday. Not sure which Saturday. It costs $10 or $15 for a buffet style vegan meal with dessert. It is another way to meet other vegetarians/vegan.

If you are around during thanksgiving, there is a vegan thanksgiving feast called "ThanksVegan" feast. It is held on Thursday, Nov. 26 1:30 - 2:00 for the social and 2:00 - 5:30 potluck dinner. All vegan food. Any food brought in must have all the ingredients. You can find more information at www.vegtampathanksgiving.com. I have gone for 3 maybe 4 years with my 2 kids. About 200 people show up. It is held at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Tampa.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM

393 posts, read 1,387,667 times
Lots of veggie options here: central cafe & organics: Menu

and here: Queen of Sheba Restaurant in Tampa, FL - Menu

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,580,949 times
Nature's Harvest, now a Rollin' Oats, at the corner of MacDill and Cypress has a small deli tucked away in the market. I haven't been there since the name change. Awesome soups and sandwiches. It's really crowded at lunchtime. Shhhh, don't tell anyone else!

Abby's Health & Nutrition on North Dale Mabry in Carrollwood also has a REALLY good organic deli. They have daily specials. Also, crowded during lunch, but they have more seating than the previous.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,401,460 times
Bombay Masala on W. Waters Ave. is an Indian restaurant with a wide array of really tasty vegetarian options (probably not vegan, though). It is not primarily vegetarian, but there is an entire page of the menu devoted to vegatarian dishes. They are not open on Mondays, but if you go on Tuesday night they have a nice vegetarian buffet.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,160,187 times
I second Trang Vietnamese on Fowler. They have 4 pages of vegetarian/vegan options including appetizers, soups, salads and entrees. They are one of my favorites. It is a simple restaurant, low priced, and everything I have tried is very flavorful. There is a great coconut, pumpkin, potato soup there.

Grassroots is another vegetarian restaurant, they are pretty good, not great imo. They have vegan and raw food options as well. The neighborhood is on the sketchy side.

The Indian food in Tampa is not always great imo but Cilantro is one of the better, and as with most Indian restaurants there are quite a few veg options. Cilantro is near USF around 56th/Fletcher/Fowler.

Roy's near International mall has a separate vegetarian menu if you ask for it. They have a great price fixed menu which allows you to try 3 courses. The ambiance is very nice as is the service, which can be hard to find around here. Roys (and Trang Vietnamese) are both some of my favorites and I eat at both pretty often.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Nature's Harvest...has a small deli tucked away in the market. ...Abby's Health & Nutrition...also has a REALLY good organic deli.
organic deli? what do they serve? free-range pastrami? compassionately raised veal? (as seen on oprah.)

reminds me of that funny line in my big fat greek wedding when toula's aunt learns that ian is vegetarian. "you don't eat meat?", she says incredulously, "he don't eat meat?" "that's ok," she offers, "i'll feed you lamb."

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

101 posts, read 491,715 times
Udipi Cafe on Dale Mabry (just South of Ehrlich) is all vegetarian.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,160,187 times
I just thought of another delicious vegetarian restaurant: Consciousness Blossoms
It is in Palm Harbor on Tampa RD, havent been there in awhile since we dont live too close to them anymore but its 100% vegetarian, breakfast and lunch, with dinner on Fri or Sat, cant remember.

Also in Dunedin we've been to CasaTina Gourmet Mexican and Vegetarian Restaurant. The vegetarian options are not the usual bean burritos, etc, they have much more interesting options there. Its a cute place, with entertainment on some weekends as well, they have a Cirque du Soleil performance in the middle of the dining room by some gymnasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay