Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 AM

190 posts, read 649,182 times

Advertisements

i have been in tampa 2 years now, and though i am enjoying it more then where im from, i do have just a few complaints.

one of them is customer service. i have been totally unable to get good service in stores, restaurants, on the phone, just about everywhere in which customer service is needed.

just last week in little caesers pizza, i had a complaint about some disgusting bread sticks, i took em back, and got an attitude from the girl who worked there, and a hard time getting them to make me another fresh order.

called brighthouse 4 times about a problem with my service and no one seemed to know what was going on. they even insisted my internet was working, when it was not.

went to buy some rims for my car at the rim store, and the guy was on his cell phone for 20 mins. on a personal call. as i was just walking out, he stopped me and rudely ask what i wanted... ( hmmm i was gonna spend 1500 buck here, but i will go elsewhere thanks )

this list could go on and on, but i will just make my point. why is it that people in tampa just aren't very good at working with the public? laziness and rudeness it would seem... is it just me or does everone have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 AM

807 posts, read 3,180,469 times
You think it's Tampa??? Bad service is everywhere. My business gets many referrals from those who are tired of being mistreated by other companies, so I hear about it almost every day.

I believe we all need to let business establishments know if we like their service or not and tell them why we think that way. If a counter person has pissed you off, send a letter or email to their corporate office and copy the store manager explaining the incident. Want to see people jump? If you don't get satisfaction, then you can loudly blast them through the media and take your business (money) elsewhere.

Likewise, don't hesitate to praise those who do well. Exceptional people should be recognized and appreciated. Customer service is an attitude...NOT a department.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,487,831 times
Unfortunately, you've experienced the dark side of Generation "Y" Culture. Lazyness, Entitlement, Self Centered, Apathetic. Its a shame, but this is what this country is turning into now a days. Its the inverse of Kennedy's speech.."Ask not what I can do for the world, but rather what can the world do for me!".

Luckily, overtime, the business who condone this type of behavior typically go out of business. I can almost guarantee the owners of these businesses do not reflect the same views as the employees. Like On-da-beach said, contact the owner of the "Rim" store and tell him you came in to buy 1.5k worth of bling but the employee was too busy talking on his cell to help you. You will probably get an immediate response.

Nav

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

17 posts, read 108,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Unfortunately, you've experienced the dark side of Generation "Y" Culture. Lazyness, Entitlement, Self Centered, Apathetic. Its a shame, but this is what this country is turning into now a days. Its the inverse of Kennedy's speech.."Ask not what I can do for the world, but rather what can the world do for me!".
Wow, talk about a stereotypical generalization. Not once was age brought up until you made your assumption, and everyone knows what they say about assumptions.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,274,356 times
"Age" does have a lot to do with this constant lack of customer service and manners in general, if these people are not polite in general they won't be to a customer either! in Europe we call this: "the 7 years from home" where you're supposed to be taught good manners by your parents! unfortunately here kids get dropped off at daycare at 6 weeks, so, manners fall off the wagon more often than they should!...you won't see a 60 year old be disrespectful!

I completely agree with Nav.....

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,123,612 times
I agree with you all too. It isn't just Tampa either. I was in a drug store where someone was waiting for their meds because they had just had surgery the person behind the counter was so rude to them when they just asked how long the wait would be.

I complain and I take it to the manager then the owner or CEO now.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 PM

86 posts, read 236,605 times
Companies that treat their employees well have better customer service. You can vote with your pocketbook. If you're unhappy with the service you receive speak up or stop patronizing the business. Providing exceptional customer service is a challenging task which must be worked at daily.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,192,866 times
Quote:

Luckily, overtime, the business who condone this type of behavior typically go out of business. I can almost guarantee the owners of these businesses do not reflect the same views as the employees. Like On-da-beach said, contact the owner of the "Rim" store and tell him you came in to buy 1.5k worth of bling but the employee was too busy talking on his cell to help you. You will probably get an immediate response.

Nav
You hit the nail on the head there and it isn't just unique to FL, I live seasonally up in MI and there's no telling what I get in the bag when I go through a drive thru. The cable company comes and leaves the damn wires right on the floor across the doorway, doesn't staple them or fish them though the wall or nothing. I order a bucket of chicken and I don't what is so hard to comprehend about "no wings", it just goes on and on.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Nav
i agree with you, but i have been around the country, and i notice this problem more here in tampa then anywhere else i have been to ( except that carls jr. on crenshaw in L.A ) but i think its more of an attitude, in which the employee doesn't care if they get fired cause they could just lay by the pool instead.

but i also think it is the fact that these multi-million dollar company's pay 7 or 8 bucks an hour. i went on craigslist while bored just to speculate, skilled tradesmen are being offered 8-11 dollars an hour, its insane. i would not like to hire a company to do work on my house and they send some guys making nothing and could care less about the job.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
You think it's Tampa??? Bad service is everywhere. My business gets many referrals from those who are tired of being mistreated by other companies, so I hear about it almost every day.

I believe we all need to let business establishments know if we like their service or not and tell them why we think that way. If a counter person has pissed you off, send a letter or email to their corporate office and copy the store manager explaining the incident. Want to see people jump? If you don't get satisfaction, then you can loudly blast them through the media and take your business (money) elsewhere.

Likewise, don't hesitate to praise those who do well. Exceptional people should be recognized and appreciated. Customer service is an attitude...NOT a department.
on a positive note, i usually get good service in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay