U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,731 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This is my first post on City Data and what better place to discuss than Tampa. My wife and I are considering relocating to the Tampa area and we visited this past weekend to see how we like it.

We loved just about everything we saw and the area blows away our second choice (Houston TX) in all categories except for pay (slightly lower pay for her as a Registered Nurse in Tampa, but not by much). My biggest disappointment was Apollo Beach. I heard great things about the area but when we got there the giant coal power plant viewable from just about anywhere in Apollo was a huge disappointment.

I'm looking at real estate in the St Pete area and prices seem to have come down to very reasonable levels. We want to live close to the beaches, housing budget of no more than $250k, in an area with low crime. Largo is the farthest North we want to go in Pinellas County. Obviously the beach front areas are nice, but what about some areas inland? Any specific neighborhoods which stand out above the rest? Any to specifically avoid?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM

26 posts, read 72,020 times
What hospital will your wife be working? Where will you work? Apollo Beach is nice (I used to live there) but only if you are retired. It's a long commute to Tampa or St. Pete. Assuming you will work in Tampa and your wife will work in one of the Tampa hospitals, I'd recommend South Tampa or Northeast St. Pete. Both areas are reasonable and have good schools with South Tampa (33606, 33602, 33609, 33629) having the best in the Tampa Bay area. Northeast St. Pete (33702, 33703 and 33704) are good if she works in St. Pete and you work in Tampa. Given the limited details you provided, I hope this helps...

Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 20,506 times
yea, there are dozens of hospitals in each county alone, that would help narrow down neighborhoods. I always thought Apollo Beach was more of a retiree area since it's so close to Sun City Center

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,731 times
Thank you for the suggestions CollegeProf.

I understand there are many hospitals in the area however we only have two options for her due to the type of nurse she is (NTICU/CCICU), Tampa General or Bayfront Med. We like St Pete/Clearwater more than we like Tampa, so Bayfront is our first choice. I am self employed with an Internet business so I can work from the beach if I want to.

To make this more simplified draw a boundary from 590/Drew St East to 19/693 South to 699/Gulf Blvd North. What are some of the best neighborhoods with good schools within this boundary? Hope this is detailed enough for further assistance. Thanks again for you help.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 PM

96 posts, read 232,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeProf View Post
What hospital will your wife be working? Where will you work? Apollo Beach is nice (I used to live there) but only if you are retired. It's a long commute to Tampa or St. Pete. Assuming you will work in Tampa and your wife will work in one of the Tampa hospitals, I'd recommend South Tampa or Northeast St. Pete. Both areas are reasonable and have good schools with South Tampa (33606, 33602, 33609, 33629) having the best in the Tampa Bay area. Northeast St. Pete (33702, 33703 and 33704) are good if she works in St. Pete and you work in Tampa. Given the limited details you provided, I hope this helps...
Nice post. Been looking for that. Thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

34 posts, read 68,440 times
Since Tampa General is in Tampa; I'd stick to Hillsborough county. Then she wouldn't have to cross one of the many bridges across the bay. This will tack on a TON of commuting time. I'm assuming you mean Bayfront that's in downtown St. Pete next to All Childrens... if that's the case I'd probably look more in the areas South of E. Bay (not Gulf to Bay), and definitely north of Central. Rush hour around here is horrendous! Driving in general sucks!! I moved here 4 years ago and can't believe how people drive, or don't, in the rain! For school info pinellascounty.org will show you which area you are "zoned" for. Good family areas are Seminole and Largo. Some areas in Largo are less than desirable, avoid Taylor Park area. Same with Pinellas Park and Clearwater. Another REALLY important thing to factor in are the flood zones!! East St. Pete in an area called Shore Acres always floods out. Sorry, I don't know much about the areas in Tampa.. Palm Harbor is a nice area, but the commute takes about an hour and a half from it to downtown St. Pete due to traffic.

HTH!!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 280,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy55 View Post

I understand there are many hospitals in the area however we only have two options for her due to the type of nurse she is (NTICU/CCICU), Tampa General or Bayfront Med. We like St Pete/Clearwater more than we like Tampa, so Bayfront is our first choice. I am self employed with an Internet business so I can work from the beach if I want to.

To make this more simplified draw a boundary from 590/Drew St East to 19/693 South to 699/Gulf Blvd North. What are some of the best neighborhoods with good schools within this boundary? Hope this is detailed enough for further assistance. Thanks again for you help.

Are you only looking for a house or would you consider a condo? There are some great condo buildings in downtown St Pete that might be in your price range and the Bayfront medical center would be within walking distance.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM

26 posts, read 72,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy55 View Post

Sorry for the delay in responding...the start of the school year is hectic...

If you choose Tampa General for a job, I'd recommend South Tampa (33606, 33602, 33609, 33629) as the best schools are in South Tampa.

If you choose Bayfront in downtown St. Pete, you have more options depending on how far you want to drive. A place on or near the beach will mean a commute of 30 minutes or more (since there are no highways running from East to West across Pinellas) and a place in Northeast St. Pete will run you about 15 minutes going up 4th street. I would recommend staying east of 9th, the closer to the bay the better the neighborhoods. There are even several gated communities such as Placido Bayou and Caya Costa. Schools are not that great. You will need to go to Palm Harbor (north of SR60/Gulf to Bay) to find "good" schools. If you stay south of 275/Gandy, I'd recommend a private school--there are many good ones.

Finally, prices have really dropped over the last 2 years so I'd recommend checking the property appraisers website (pcpao.org for Pinellas or hcpafl.org for Hillsborough) to find the market value of something you are interested in. Finally, TBO has a nice crime tracker which allows you to enter any street/neighborhood.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or