U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,187,335 times

Advertisements

That's good, I support NYC, Texas as far as better jobs, Cali is a mess right now...along with LV and Arizona they all got hit hard with unemployment thanks to the housing market etc etc....

Good Luck, all I can say to anyone wanting to move anywhere is research, research and more research...it costs a lot more to move than do research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
Algia, you gave it your best shot!... LOL... To the OP there is a huge difference in the warmer weather you get in FL than you do in NV and AZ. Have you been here in August?

In fairness today the humidty is low and it is overcast so it is not so bad. But there is the "Florida Winter" where you end up inside because of the heat and humidity.

So you do the same thing here in reverse in regards to winter.

Doesn't sound like your able to save up any money in DC. I wouldn't move anywhere without at least 8 months of living expenses.

And as far as your "two awful" jobs go there are plenty of people in this country who can't even find one "awful" job. They would gladly trade places with you.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
MT8

60 posts, read 171,187 times
I've been looking for a teaching position since June with no luck. The teachers start back to work on Monday.

Upon asking, I found that the last job I applied for had over 250 resumes sent in over a two day period of time. They never even looked at my resume because they were overwhelmed and just grabbed the first couple off the pile to call for interviews.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,220,919 times
You sure about the salary? I know several teachers. One moved from NYC and had to take a 20k pay cut when her and her husband moved down here. She too has a masters and MANY years teaching experience. I am not sure having a masters earns you much more than someone without. It may even be a hindrance. That would mean, they would have to pay more for you than someone without.

I recently asked a friend of mine who is a teacher at a charter school, which pays even less, how much do teachers typically get paid. She also has a masters degree and years of experience. She said if she were to teach in regular public schools, she could expect to earn $30 - $35k.

There is not exactly a teachers shortage. My husband lost his job 6 months ago and was looking into being a math teacher, which are supposedly in short supply. He looked up the Hillsborough Board of Ed website for job listings and found NO math positions available.

I agree with the "Florida winter". Summers are brutal! You can't even go outside to walk the dog, without both of you coming back in with heatstroke.

I would not be too optimistic in finding a teaching job down here AND coming from out of state. I wish you luck.

You should have come down for the summer and rent a place for 3 - 4 months, which you can do, and go on interviews. That way, you are not stuck down here if you cannot find work.

Maybe it is something you can think about for next summer.

Living in Florida is VERY different than living in DC. I don't know DC very well, but grew up in NYC.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
I am willing to bet the OP is in his twenties. There is a mindset with that age group of instant gratification, "I want it and I want it now".

If any good comes out of this awful economy it might teach some of these younger people you may have to wait for you want due to circumstances out of your control.

I can't imagine people today( and I include myself in this group) if they had to live through another Great Depression or make the sacrifices people did during WW2.

He is lucky to have two jobs when some people have none. JMO, but I would find DC much more interesting and stimulating than Tampa. Anyone who has any interest in culture is in for a rude awakening.

A tailgate party at Raymond James stadium is considered culture here...LOL. The beaches here are the nicest in the country, but if you enjoy the arts and lean towards a more intellectual type of lifestyle you're like a fish out of water here.

Wonder if OP is aware of what he is giving up for warmer weather.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM

20 posts, read 45,116 times
My girlfriend and I have been looking to relocate since last year. We have had several interviews (mostly last summer) I figured its likely our MI address that makes me an easy resume to shuffle off to the rejected pile. We will be moving down late September without positions but have more than enough saved up to live 12-18 months. I found a job in MI in 6 months and we are worse off then FL. Im confident.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,114,206 times
I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Trying to relocate from out of state when there are so many ppl unemployed who are applying for the same job, they are going to hire someone who lives in the city. Even before it got so bad it was hard to find a job if you lived out of state. I think you pointed out that there were 250 applicants for 1 job. Those odds are bad.

Perhaps you can find a job as a bartender but 'season' is almost over in Tampa now so there will be less jobs in the hospitality field.

Come down for a visit and see for yourself..

Good Luck

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,947,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Algia, you gave it your best shot!... LOL... To the OP there is a huge difference in the warmer weather you get in FL than you do in NV and AZ. Have you been here in August?

In fairness today the humidty is low and it is overcast so it is not so bad. But there is the "Florida Winter" where you end up inside because of the heat and humidity.

So you do the same thing here in reverse in regards to winter.

Doesn't sound like your able to save up any money in DC. I wouldn't move anywhere without at least 8 months of living expenses.

And as far as your "two awful" jobs go there are plenty of people in this country who can't even find one "awful" job. They would gladly trade places with you.
LOL.....Never heard that term before. I guess it all depends if one is in shape or not. I mow my grass around 2-3pm the worst part of the day for most and even though my yard is plenty big enough for a rider, I'll push mow it.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM

168 posts, read 390,770 times
Well, thanks for all the "help" you have given. To correct a few of the misconceptions you all have, I am not only considering Tampa. There are other places as well. To address this "culture" you speak of, is this the same "culture" of going to museums and shows, sipping on wine that tastes like urine (but acting like you like it and know what you're talking about), reading The Economist, watching CNN and FOX News and acting like you're better than everyone else? I'm sorry, but none of that interests me. About the pay, yes, I have researched that. I was actually offered a job in Pinellas county last October that was going to pay $39000 but decided to take this job instead because at that time this was a career path I wanted to go into (I work in collegiate athletics) but I'm seeing now that it was a mistake. This whole thing of "Florida winters" is not an issue to me. When it is 90+ degrees in DC which has what the average fat, out of shape American would consider "unbearable" humidity, I am wearing jeans and a heavy T-Shirt, and on occasion have worn long sleeves. Some people do better in hot weather than others (on the other hand when it's anything under 75 I usually wear a jacket, gloves on at 50 or below). All of the people that think DC is so great have never lived here year round. It isn't like I just am going off of misconceptions that I pulled out of thin air. I have researched cost of living and have spoke to others who live in the same areas I would want to live in. They have moved from places up north and are happier where they are at. Of course, they said the same thing about employment. I guess until the criminals and thieves in politics (Oh wait, I forgot. They are "cultured" and brilliant.) fix something I'm probably out of luck, so if nothing comes up by December I'm moving anyway.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,187,335 times
Dude....you really sound like a kid who's toys were taken away! do you think we are trying to advise you because we want to keep "Tampa" to ourselves???????? LOLOLOL We live here in case you didn't get that so we kinda know what's going ON and what going OFF!!!!!!

As far as the culture goes, I am starting to doubt you have a masters at all and just went to college (if you did) for the parties! don't worry, you're not the only one (unfortunately)!!!!!

When I was referring to CULTURE I was referring to appreciating FREE museums with GREAT ART and EXHIBITS in them (not to mention DC's WONDERFUL ARCHITECTURE inside (See Library of Congress and outside of all the buildings), unlike here where it could cost a small fortune to take your kids to see a museum and the architecture is, well, OPPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was talking about appreciating good choreographers/dancers, theater actors, the philharmonic orchestra etc performing in awesome shows!

I think you really need to take another look at DC before you decide to leave it behind and realize in what great city you live in...if you don't care about politics, don't involve in political conversations, how hard is THAT? if you don't like the wine, don't drink it? it's not like people are putting a gun to your head to drink it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need to grow up and start appreciating what you city has to offer before deciding to be homeless somewhere else! this attitude won't give you 40,000 anywhere in the US or world for that matter!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the heat goes, your heat up there is DRY, big difference, when you get here, you'll need a shower after getting your mail.....that is if you get a place....again the attitude won't get you far here! it would be hard to shower under one of our bridges!

I think you are OVERTIRED from your two "awful" jobs and really NEED A VACATION! Come down for two weeks and you'll be all happy go lucky again!

A lot of People would LOVE to have at least one of your jobs down here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or