U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 AM

225 posts, read 589,405 times

Advertisements

If you are young, single, and responsible for only you, do what you want. If it ends up being a mistake, you have time to try something different. The other posters are only trying to protect you. They could easily give you misleading information that was overly positive.

You do need to be in the state to get a job here. Competition is fierce. Masters degree is not going to give you an edge, as it isn't needed for the majority of jobs in this state, but it isn't a waste. Once you establish yourself, then the degree will help you climb corporate ladders.

You need to ask yourself what you really want, then go do it. Yes, the heat is unbearable, pay is very low (ever hear of the "sunshine tax"), and in the last decade the housing prices have risen to levels that wages no longer support. But you can make a life here if you're aggressive with your career, can play into the "ole boy" network, and love water activities.

Every place has good and bad, and your experience will be different than other's.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

168 posts, read 390,810 times
DC is definitely not dry heat. You've never been here in the summer I take it.

"Summers tend to be hot and humid, with daily high temperatures in July and August averaging in the high 80s °F (about 30 °C).[50] The combination of heat and humidity in the summer brings very frequent thunderstorms, some of which occasionally produce tornadoes in the area."

Doesn't sound dissimilar to your climate.

But anyway, I'm thinking you all are right. If you are the typical Tampa residents, I don't think I should move there. Funny how I posted this in other metro area forums and didn't get these types of responses.

Last edited by d-fens; 08-15-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,446 times
By direct comparison with Florida...It Is. Your humidity doesn't compare...ours brings the high 80's to feel like 100!

When was your last tornado?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 AM

24 posts, read 46,304 times
I relocated from TN. I have a master's but not in teaching. I was dying to get of homogenous and conservative TN. I targeted progressive areas--including Tampa. I had just graduated and had time to travel to the interviews. It took effort, but it can be done. A small savings and/or good credit will help you. There are apartments that will offer free rent in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. If you are craving change, make it happen. Develop a plan. It may take time--even years--but don't give up. Florida is a great place to live. There are plenty of people here, so I bet you can find a job if you're resourceful.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:07 PM

15,840 posts, read 33,180,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
DC is definitely not dry heat. You've never been here in the summer I take it.

"Summers tend to be hot and humid, with daily high temperatures in July and August averaging in the high 80s °F (about 30 °C).[50] The combination of heat and humidity in the summer brings very frequent thunderstorms, some of which occasionally produce tornadoes in the area."

Doesn't sound dissimilar to your climate.

But anyway, I'm thinking you all are right. If you are the typical Tampa residents, I don't think I should move there. Funny how I posted this in other metro area forums and didn't get these types of responses.
Please remember that this forum is FULL of angry, dissatisfied malcontents. This is nothing but a message board, and I would hope you would take some of these posts with a grain of salt and remember that it's only a handful here who just love to come in and spew, Tampa has a huge population, and about 99.9% of them have NEVER HEARD of City-Data, let alone post here.

You go for it, you're young, you have nothing to lose, why let a handful of miserable people destroy your joy and optimism? Remember, misery loves company, and there are plenty on this board that want nothing more than to try to make others feel as miserable as they are. I am a native and I give thanks and count my blessings EVERY DAY that I am able to live here.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,662,193 times
d-fens,

Id definitely listen to what Gypsychic has to say...She..among several other posters in the area, always have great and POSITIVE info on the goings on in the area..including the Tampa bay area..(i think she herself resides in neighboring Sarasota??..anyway)..and yes, there are a number of people around who always seem to want to focus solely on the negative aspects of Tampa..I think they forget that every city has its good and not so good aspects..

Like Gypsy had said, these few opinions don't account for the ++thousands of residents who reside there in the Tampa Bay region..who aren't yet C.D. members..

That being said, i myself have heard that it is better to be in state before putting in Job applications..BUT, i will get a better idea on this subject when i am in the area in a couple weeks..as i also are planning a move there at the end of October..and will be inquiring about this subject with potential employers..

In my case,( And im sure ive said the same thing at least once before) i will be happy with what ever i can get..even if i work two part time jobs to get things done for the short term...Things will soon turn around..and im fairly certain the Tampa area will see things pick up much sooner than a # of areas around the rest of the country..So, it won't be long before i will be able to "move up" to something which gets me closer to the goals i have set for myself once i get there...

Just do have some savings..just incase it takes a little longer to land something..and don't stress...I can totally understand how expensive D.C. probabaly is.. At least from what friends have shared about D.C...Im from the super overly-expensive Silicon valley here in Nor. Cal. myself and $1450. for a 650Sq ft. 1 bed apartment ia about average.. Local Unemployment rate is at 11.6-8 right now, Sales tax 9.25%..so unless Tampa is that expensive( And id doubt it is..i check constantly..but i could be wrong) It will be much more affordable..And i'll be somewhere i love..

Remember that your main focus when you first move is to get your roots into the ground there in Tampa (or where ever you end up relocating)..everything else will fall into place as long as you stay determined to make it happen....the NATION'S bumpy economic road will smoothen out soon enough..so don't worry too much..

Gypsychic, Again, id rep you, but i guess im tapped out..lol.i did suggest another means of reps in the Relationship area of the forum so i'll go ahead and give you 4 Manatees... you deserve it..lol..

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,208,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_disclosure View Post
I relocated from TN. I have a master's but not in teaching. I was dying to get of homogenous and conservative TN. I targeted progressive areas--including Tampa. I had just graduated and had time to travel to the interviews. It took effort, but it can be done. A small savings and/or good credit will help you. There are apartments that will offer free rent in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. If you are craving change, make it happen. Develop a plan. It may take time--even years--but don't give up. Florida is a great place to live. There are plenty of people here, so I bet you can find a job if you're resourceful.
What you say makes sense. Develop a plan. I wouldn't call a city that flies a huge confederate flag progressive...LOL. Tampa still had segregated schools until the 1970s.

A young person should be adventurous. But having money behind you is important. At least 8 months in living expenses.

I think people who have lived in various parts of the country and the world have more insight than someone who only knows one place. Unless you have lived elsewhere you have nothing to compare it to.

It is also very narrow minded to insult people who have a different point of view as some choose to do on here.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,118,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't call a city that flies a huge confederate flag progressive...LOL. Tampa still had segregated schools until the 1970s.

There are over 300K ppl in Hillsborough FL who had no part in that display. It is not in the city of Tampa and is privately owned

Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 PM

214 posts, read 619,577 times
Unless you have some qualification(s) that make you unique and in demand, odds are that an employer will NOT interview you from out of state, especially if there is a glut of locally qualified candidates. Why should I pay to fly you in, put you up in a hotel, etc when I can have a number of local candidates knocking on my door (which costs me zero)?

Ok, that was my hiring manager hat. Now, putting on my personal hat, all I can say is if you want something badly enough and are willing to put in the time, energy, money, and pain, you CAN get it.
(well, assuming it violates no laws of physics)

Do your due diligence, have a cash cushion, develop a plan, consult with others who have done it or are planning on doing it, be patient but tenacious. There is no guarantee of success but it least you'll know that you did everything possible.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,663,717 times
Okay, everyone here is right in their own way.

Don't get all huffy-puffy and have a fit over what I'm going to say, as you have with other posters. It's rude, and unnecessary when people are trying to help you, and give you THEIR opinion (when you essentially asked for it).

Florida has its good and bad, like everywhere. For ME, more bad than good.

Jobs are scarce...I don't care what your field or degree is. I've met 4-year college graduates that went into decent fields that are flipping hamburgers and such. Personally, I've been unemployed since January of 2009, which occurred right after a house fire I had. I have some college, and am continuing my education. I went and got licensed in security (an occupation you're required to be licensed for in most cases)...no bites. I've applied everywhere. My mom has been unemployed for well over a year and a half. Two of my friends, recent college grads, cannot find work anywhere, either. Most places are on freezes, or shutting their doors completely (I was stunned to realize how many places have folded just in the past month, in my city).

FL is not cheap...by any means. Yes, it may be cheaper than where you're at....keep that in mind when your salary takes a large chunk too (not your field, but here's an example: friends mom is RN [seeking her Master's now], she moved from the Buffalo, NY region, and at that time, was just a Nurse's Assistant [this was about 12 years ago]....she actually made MORE in NY as an assistant, than she did when she moved here and got her RN degree....she actually took a pay cut by about 50%). If you can get into the right area, and someone does pick you out of the hundreds of applicants, then perhaps you'll have something to offer above everyone else....though, be careful with that. There may always be someone that is equally qualified for the job, and won't desire the pay you do, with your degree.

FL is hot. Just a couple of weeks ago, my city actually peaked 115 according to a thermometer. Unusual, yes...but 100-105 after humidity is anything but unusual. The AC in my house, and the homes of many I know, generally stays on 7-8 months. The heat generally has to be turned on for at least a week or two (depending, this past winter needed more heating than before), as well.

FL doesn't have the "culture" many places have (save for Miami, I can't speak for there, as I've never been)...DC has much more. As someone else noted, anything that may be culturally interesting, is going to cost you your arm, your kidney, and your first born. Many of the people aren't of the same quality found in the north. Southern hospitality doesn't exist in most parts of Pinellas and Hillsborough. I encounter more rude people on a daily basis, than pleasant people.

BUT...there are positives.

If you're an outdoors-type person (as I am), and can tolerate the heat AND humidity (it's much worse than you can imagine, I'm sure. I know that I still can't stand it after having lived here for 10 1/2 years, and worked outside for about 4 of those years, with livestock [a taxing job, physically] and children), you will adore it here. There are several nature preserves in Pinellas Co. (Boyd Hill is a particular favorite of mine), and I'm sure Hillsborough, as well. Outside of those counties, there are several NICE state/national parks and forests, with an abundance of things to do (biking, atv, horseback, swimming, boating, rafting [FL has some amazing fresh-water springs], etc). Not to mention, there are the beaches, some of which have gotten top ratings, which also ties in with beach based land and water sports. If you're big on the bar and party scene, many people in the area are as well.

If you can visit, I'd recommend doing that, first. Even better, if you could find a way to "live" here for a month or two, and see how you like life (exclude yourself from nightly/daily activities that you normally wouldn't do at home, such as excessive eating out, going out and buying lots of things, for example) in FL. Apply for jobs while you're here...if you can get a post office box by the month (that's not my area, so I'm not sure if they're monthly or yearly), do that, so you'll have a FL mailing address, if you cannot get mail where you're staying while here. Enjoy the FL lifestyle, sparingly, as most people here do (and do not go to the beaches daily, unless living there, etc)...but don't exclude yourself from everything. The last week or two (depending how long you're here for), enjoy the FL lifestyle if you so wish. If you can't stay for a month or two, visit for a week at a time, over a period of a few months. Same rules otherwise apply.

That's the best advice that I can give.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or