U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,078,462 times

Advertisements

d-fens,
It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing, researching the various places you might want to move to. We've been researching for quite a while now. We are currently in Virginia and can understand what you do not like about living here. It's a beautiful state, and many love living and working here. My main reason for wanting to move out of this area is the cold. I am not a cold person, and neither are my children or husband. But for me the cold is a quality of life issue. I am absolutly miserable when the temperature gets cold. My joints lock up and my entire body is in aches and pain. So bad that I often cannot move around INSIDE my house let alone trying to get out my door to go anywhere or do anything. Just the approaching weather fronts can affect me. And for the record, I am ONLY 40 yrs old and am active and peppy about getting out and doing things the rest of the time. Over the 13 yrs we have lived here the winters have steadily gotten worse, so it's no wonder that I desire to move to a warmer climate. The West is out for me as my husband and I are both from the West and Southwest and have no desire to return. I'm not exactly a 110 degrees in the shade (even if it is a DRY heat) kinda gal either.
We have researched other Southern States and narrowed it down to a few locations based on husbands job locations (which would be a secure job wherever we pick so that's not a biggie for us to worry about), Climate, safety of the area, and how our family would get along there. We've visited different areas, to include Tampa, which we had only previously visited for vacation status in the past. We've been down to Tampa at various times of the year now and quite honestly, the heat and humidity in August was akin to what we experience here in the coastal area of Va! In fact, to us its what it feels like when we're in D.C during August! Only down in Tampa there are the afternoon thunderstorms to give a slight break from the heat. I'm not sure where you got your high 80's with humidity readings for D.C. but that sounds REALLY low to me.
So yes, moving somewhere "Just" because of the temperature can be a major reason to want to move. It's not always just because someone thinks about living a picture postcard kinda lifestyle. And just because someone else thinks that where/how you currently live is ideal, that doesnt mean that its the perfect place/fit for you. (Just as the Tampa area sounds like it is not the perfect place/fit for some people who may be miserable there). So my thinking is that you only get one shot at life so you might as well do what makes you happy. Trying things out is alot easier while you're young and single. So as long as you have researched what and where you want to go, you have the means to support yourself and you have a plan B in case things don't work out, then I say do what you're heart desires. If I have to be miserable, I'd much rather be doing it with a close proximity to white powder sand beachs and palm trees! hehe! There are alot worse places/situations to be miserable, I can tell you that from experience!
Oh, and by the way, not everyone is a 'culture' and museum type of person. While myself and my daughter love museums, theater, history, art, etc. My husband and son could care less if they ever stepped into a museum, seen a theater performance, or looked at a painting in their lives. Oh, they go along with us because they have to but they sure wouldn't pick to go to one of those places on their own. And it's not because my husband is uneducated or that he wouldn't know culture if it bit him, he just doesn't enjoy it. And for the record, Tampa may not have D.C's Culture scene, but it has SOME, which is more than can be said for a whole lot of other cities around our great nation. It may cost admission to go to the museums, aquariums, etc. down there in Tampa, but at least they have them. Anyhow, I for one am not opposed to traveling to another location to get a history, art, science, theater, or concert fix. As for the other cost of living comparisons, For what *I* personally have researched and checked out, my family can live in the Tampa area slightly cheaper then what it costs us here in my area of Virginia. That is all things considered such as income, housing, food, utilities, gas, commute, insurance, taxes, health care, etc. For people from other areas, states, situations, etc. that may not be the case. So just saying that for everyone, moving to Tampa is not necessarily a doomsday situation. It all comes down to what works for you (or your family).
I wish you luck and happiness in whatever you choose.

(We are just waiting for our daughter to graduate H.S. this coming year. The DH already got and turned down a job offer in Tampa last month. The timing just wasnt right for us to go yet.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,143,273 times
Gypsychic and others:

Please don't confuse "angry" with being realistic...nobody is angry here......people are expressing their opinions BASED on their OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE! and nobody is making stuff up to keep people from moving from out of state!

Tampa beaches have no match anywhere else in the US, however that is hardly something that would pay the bills! it is now $8 to go on Honeymoon Island or $128 for a family annual pass! $64 for individuals, almost as much as a Disney ticket! except there are no rides! LOL......

I lived in Europe most of my life and DC summers are exactly the same as they were in Europe....no direct comparison with Florida/Tampa what so ever.

In Florida Orlando has less humidity because it is inland.........all other cities close to the ocean/golf will be very humid! try to visit Miami in July/August!

In order to provide a decent lifestyle here (or anywhere else for that matter) you have to have savings to support yourself, and a JOB. Single young people are all more than free to be adventurous and explore, but to me it would be stupid to start exploring without a bank account that has money in it. What if you get into a car crash and have no insurance or job or anything!???? you have to have a blanket of safety, and can't just drop the ball on where you are because you're sick of the cold! This is WHY some young people with degrees end up flipping burgers! because they want to be all independent and not be practical at all!

Why make a move and be miserable here when you can stick to your 2 jobs, save up enough to support yourself and emergencies for 8 months to a year and then move and find the best place for you! Travel some before settling down, take advantage of the fact that you don't have a family of your own yet, otherwise you will never have anything to compare! and at some point you'll become miserable here for one reason or another and want to take off AGAIN thinking that somewhere else the grass may be greener!

Any city will be more expensive or cheap depending what you want to buy! here's a good example, the house were renting would be a great buy, but the property taxes are keeping us from buying it........almost $8000 a year!!!!!!!!!!!! without adding home owners insurance, HOA etc....to us that is expensive. $4000 would also have been expensive, a house 3 times the size of this one in Delaware would have $2800 in property taxes a year!!!!!!!!!

Without a job to support a decent lifestyle you won't be happy here either. That's just the way it is, when you don't have the money to do any water sports activities or go out and eat or to a bar, etc etc this place will be just as miserable as where you are! being homeless at the beach is not more fun than living by the beach. 2 different things.

Like the other poster said, have a plan....think about it a million times, have a plan B and C since you can't predict the future....the more prepared you are the better your chances to actually make a move and be HAPPY!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 142,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
As far as the heat goes, your heat up there is DRY, big difference, when you get here, you'll need a shower after getting your mail.....that is if you get a place....again the attitude won't get you far here! it would be hard to shower under one of our bridges!
I would have to strongly disagree, the heat in this area is EXTREMELY humid because of the Chesapeake Bay. This summer has been mostly tolerable with temps in the mid 90s and only moderate humidity, but there were summers I remember it hitting 105+ and 90% humidity. The weathermen sometimes recommend people not go outside unless absolutely necessary because of hard it is to breathe.

I have spent summers in the mountains of GA and central NC, that is dry heat. Maryland is not dry heat. Current weather says it is 89 degrees here and it is mostly cloudy, heat index is pushing 101 because we have 67% humidity currently (today is rather low compared to what it has been recently). Current Tampa weather says it is 85 with an index of 96 and 68% humidity. It's nice to see you have humidity as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or