U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 3,012,000 times
Reputation: 794

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post

Here's more - take care of your lawn, my friend. I must take issue with your OP; You said the fine came out of the blue but then you reference a warning letter in July. I must wonder if this was all that out of the blue or if you didn't read and respond to your mail?

Perhaps it would be worth your time to hire a service to cut your lawn on a regular basis. I'm sure your neighbors don't appreciate your lawn left un tended for 2- 3 weeks. You might enjoy not having to cut the grass and just enjoy coming home to a nice looking lawn!
I do take care of the lawn and perhaps, the lawn service is 'hand in glove' with the HOA(as I said..am like 1 or 2 homes our street that doesn't subscribe to any lawn service) or just a zealous neighbor who has nothing better to do with their 'time'.
If I do find that a neighbour has complained, I would jump at complaining at any small violation on their part as a tit for tat.(can you tell am just tired of this BS and being sarcastic)

I have sent a certified mail back to the HOA and the lawyer asking them to re-visit the lawn. I'll post if I have new updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
 
26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
Reputation: 14893
The OP stated that she/he had a letter before and the disclosure mentioned that the OP sometimes doesn't mow for 3 weeks, or pull weeds....we all know how Florida sun and rain can make grass and weeds grow pretty fast during the Summer months.

The mistake is all on the side of the OP...first: if you don't want to work on your yard every week or 10 days...than don't move to a home with a yard in a HOA community.

All home owners and tenants know they live in a HOA community where people are supposed to maintain their yards that is why most people choose to live there since they like it...

Sob stories about rain in the weekend, my sprinklers were broken, etc...we as a HOA have heard them all...if a person can't pay for the repair of their sprinklers than pick up a hose and water it by hand!
Why is it always 1 or 2 people who can't mow because of the rain in the weekend while all others have their yards mowed?

The excuses are so weak and phony that for a covenants committee it is easy to hold up the fine...unless some one can proof the were sick and had nobody living with them...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 3,012,000 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

The mistake is all on the side of the OP...first: if you don't want to work on your yard every week or 10 days...than don't move to a home with a yard in a HOA community.

The excuses are so weak and phony that for a covenants committee it is easy to hold up the fine...unless some one can proof the were sick and had nobody living with them...etc.
My beef is that you don't have to sent a 'LEGAL NOTICE' in the mail if you don't mow your lawn for a week ot two or 10 days..that's just idiotic...

You'll only know the excuses were weak if you were in my shoes.

Am here to get feedback and not to be criticized meaninglessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 04:24 AM
 
26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
Reputation: 14893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
My beef is that you don't have to sent a 'LEGAL NOTICE' in the mail if you don't mow your lawn for a week ot two or 10 days..that's just idiotic...

You'll only know the excuses were weak if you were in my shoes.

Am here to get feedback and not to be criticized meaninglessly.
They don't have to send a legal notice. When you moved in (if yo are the owner) you signed at closing papers that you are aware that a HOA is in place, etc. In the documents it is explained what the rules are, I suggest you actually read them. Many people complain but should know the facts..it is similar to driving on a road and the speed limit is 50 mph...if you drive 60 and you get a ticket you have to pay, you once got a license to drive and know you have to stick to the rules...many people who get a ticket would say "all the other people are driving faster" which doesn't give you the right to do so", and btw they all have to pay their own ticket if they get one.

You don't know if others are receiving letters from the HOA, you just assume you are the only one. Some others never complain and fix the issue instead of complaining and stating "some people hving nothing better to do than maintaining their yard"....it probably never came to your mind that they like a nice yard and moved into a HOA community out of free will because they like nice yards!

You wrote that you got a letter before and now you got fines! That is exactly how a HOA has to do it...they give notice and the next time they fine you. In our HOA the rules have changed...before if an issue was fixed and the issue came up months later it started all over with a first reminder letter, not anymore, if you once had a letter to remind you to fix the issue, the next time you are notified of a fie and so on...till the fine is $ 1,000.- + interest and the HOA can and will put a lien on the house.
If you haven't been on a HOA committee you might want to join one and hear the sob stories and see how many people don't even pay their dues...others have to pay more due to these people and many of them stop paying not because they have no job...no they think they can get away with it. We had HO who didn't pay but when they find out the HOA was going to foreclose on the homes, all of a sudden they start paying thousands of dollars to prevent being evicted...so they had money and we all knew it, they still had the same job, cars, etc...and parties just went on but not paying HOA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
 
316 posts, read 967,934 times
Reputation: 141
All this in the land where the grass is nothing more than weeds on a vine. Since there are helicopter parents..... an HOA is just another helicopter in life.... so all you lazy HOA supporters...ever hear of Pride of Ownership where YOU are responsible and ALSO tolerant? or aren't we allowed tollerance anymore?

Call in the STEPFORD HELICOPTER!


rediculous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 05:15 PM
 
26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
Reputation: 14893
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
All this in the land where the grass is nothing more than weeds on a vine. Since there are helicopter parents..... an HOA is just another helicopter in life.... so all you lazy HOA supporters...ever hear of Pride of Ownership where YOU are responsible and ALSO tolerant? or aren't we allowed tollerance anymore?

Call in the STEPFORD HELICOPTER!


rediculous....
Can you explain "redicilous" to me...you mentioned it before but what does it mean?

Or do you want to say "ridiculous" if so than it is so funny that you are trying to say that people who willingly chose to live in a HOA community and maintain theit property and take pride of it, are accused of being intolerant....shouldn't you call out on people who choose to live there and never had a gun to their head when signing the papers...and don't want to keep to the rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM
 
316 posts, read 967,934 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Can you explain "redicilous" to me...you mentioned it before but what does it mean?

Or do you want to say "ridiculous" if so than it is so funny that you are trying to say that people who willingly chose to live in a HOA community and maintain theit property and take pride of it, are accused of being intolerant....shouldn't you call out on people who choose to live there and never had a gun to their head when signing the papers...and don't want to keep to the rules!
What you just said was rediculous. You need an HOA in order to have pride in your property? Aren't you able to do it yourself? Aren't you able to pick the neighborhood correctly? I call out people for particular reasons. I'm pretty sick and tired of this lazy useless american way...there is no pride, no conscious, no reality... it's all about how good do I look, how nice are you to me, and don't tell me bad news.

Reality is - your grass will always have weeds get used to it, perfectly manicured grass is a personal preference not a neighborhood mandate.

Reality is - even if you control the colors of the houses there will alwas be a color or two a neighbor absolutely hates.

Reality is - a boat or RV parked in the driveway or pad on the side of the house isn't that big a deal.

Reality is - if you really need rules in order to own your own home and feel and value - move to Cuba or something.

Reality is - none of the above have any real effect on home values. If you think so then you better go take some real estate appraisal classes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 AM
 
26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
Reputation: 14893
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
What you just said was rediculous. You need an HOA in order to have pride in your property? Aren't you able to do it yourself? Aren't you able to pick the neighborhood correctly? I call out people for particular reasons. I'm pretty sick and tired of this lazy useless american way...there is no pride, no conscious, no reality... it's all about how good do I look, how nice are you to me, and don't tell me bad news.

Reality is - your grass will always have weeds get used to it, perfectly manicured grass is a personal preference not a neighborhood mandate.

Reality is - even if you control the colors of the houses there will alwas be a color or two a neighbor absolutely hates.

Reality is - a boat or RV parked in the driveway or pad on the side of the house isn't that big a deal.

Reality is - if you really need rules in order to own your own home and feel and value - move to Cuba or something.

Reality is - none of the above have any real effect on home values. If you think so then you better go take some real estate appraisal classes....
Funny that you mention appraisel classes....all over the news was how bad appraisers are doing their job lately...People who aren't in foreclosure can't get their homes sold due to appraisers who just go by surrounding closed deals, so basically sit behind their comp. and look up the last closed deals!

Again you use the word rediculous which I haven't found in the dictionary so please explain since you use it all the time so it isn't a typo!

I lived most of my life in a country where no HOA exist and people did take pride of their property and if something was really too bad the city would do something about it. The police would ticket a car that is parked where it shouldn't and the fines were way higher than overhere for wrong parking in the streets.
It seems that if you live in a non HOA community over here you can have pride HO next to you or some one who doesn't care at all and keeps car wrecks in his yard, etc...

Why is it so hard for people to decide not to live in a HOA if you don't like it and just stay away instead of people like you accusing people for making the free choice to live where they want and that is a HOA community...

Maybe people like you who accuse HO who want to live in peace in a HOA and the people who willingly moved thee and don't want to keep to the HOA rules should move to where you suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 AM
 
316 posts, read 967,934 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Funny that you mention appraisel classes....all over the news was how bad appraisers are doing their job lately...People who aren't in foreclosure can't get their homes sold due to appraisers who just go by surrounding closed deals, so basically sit behind their comp. and look up the last closed deals!

Again you use the word rediculous which I haven't found in the dictionary so please explain since you use it all the time so it isn't a typo!
Bad appraisals? This is because the appraisers got in bed with the lenders - the rule became - "how much is the offer" rather than "what is the true value of the home". Call it a scam if you want.... probably is. However greed is why we are in the mess we are in.

oh and for your benefit -

ridiculous - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 AM
 
15,760 posts, read 32,834,586 times
Reputation: 19733
Good grief - so much ado about nothing! There are bigger problems in the world than arguing about a Nazi-esque HOA. I hate them, by the way. This is America, and I like to be able to do what I want with my property. That said, I live in a beautiful old neighborhood with a VOLUNTARY HOA, and everyone here takes pride in their homes and properties. A few get a little unkempt now and then (mine included) but no one raises a fuss.

And in my opinion, more people should landscape with "Florida friendly" yards and get rid of the dang "lawn" altogether! That is my goal with my place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top