Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,350 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to the Tampa area very soon.
I have young kids under 5 and am looking for an area with good schools and things to do for families.
I have a wide range of options today since I don't know the tampa area well and I am hoping that your feedback can help me narrow down my options.

I am open to downtown, near the beach, north of downtown, south tampa, sarasota.. Work will require me to be within 1hr drive of downtown.

Looking on line isn't helping too much so hopefully I find some good info here.

I am looking to rent first and hopefully the area that I rent in will be enjoyable for at least a year.
trying to keep the budget under $1200/month

Please help!

Thank you

Last edited by 2010tampabay; 10-06-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I live in Tampa Palms (New Tampa area, just south of I-75 on Bruce B. Downs Blvd). My husband use to work near the airport. It would take him about 1 hour to get there during rush hour. I think Sarasota and the beach area (St. Petersburg/Clearwater) would probably take too long during rush hour. Hopefully someone from those areas will chime in and let you know. Hyde Park area of Tampa is more hip, if that is what you are looking for. However, I am not sure $1,200 would be enough rent for that area. It tends to be more expensive. You could find a nice apartment for that money in the New Tampa area. You could also look into Brandon area, though from what I have read on this forum it is a boring town. That is my 2 cents.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I live in Tampa Palms (New Tampa area, just south of I-75 on Bruce B. Downs Blvd). My husband use to work near the airport. It would take him about 1 hour to get there during rush hour. I think Sarasota and the beach area (St. Petersburg/Clearwater) would probably take too long during rush hour. Hopefully someone from those areas will chime in and let you know. Hyde Park area of Tampa is more hip, if that is what you are looking for. However, I am not sure $1,200 would be enough rent for that area. It tends to be more expensive. You could find a nice apartment for that money in the New Tampa area. You could also look into Brandon area, though from what I have read on this forum it is a boring town. That is my 2 cents.

They don't know what boring is then. Tell them to go to Ellenton area if they want boring.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010tampabay View Post
Hello,

I am considering a move to the Tampa area very soon.
I have young kids under 5 and am looking for an area with good schools and things to do for families.
I have a wide range of options today since I don't know the tampa area well and I am hoping that your feedback can help me narrow down my options.

I am open to downtown, near the beach, north of downtown, south tampa, sarasota.. Work will require me to be within 1hr drive of downtown.

Looking on line isn't helping too much so hopefully I find some good info here.

I am looking to rent first and hopefully the area that I rent in will be enjoyable for at least a year.
trying to keep the budget under $1200/month

Please help!

Thank you
We live in north Sarasota (near airport) and my hubby drives to work in downtown Tampa each day. It takes him one hour door to door (about 50 minutes on interstate). He doesn't mind it, and it is worth it to him to live here. Living near the beaches will be way too far for you, I would rule that out. South Tampa is very nice and is the closest to downtown.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Thank you for your replies so far. This is very helpful. Although I intend to rent for a year to get a better feel for the areas, it will be a big first commitment.

Please keep em' coming.
I am planning to sign a lease by November so this is quickly becoming more of a reality than an interest.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM

43 posts, read 133,280 times
We are looking as well..How far from Palm Harbor/Clearwater to downtown Tampa...We have seen some not great areas..Sarasota looks nice..Can you recommend an apartment complex there?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM

43 posts, read 133,280 times
We have been down twice looking. My suggestion is to go on craigs list and look for a condo rental..The apartment complex's leave much to be desired. Be careful Many beautiful complex's are not housing section 8 or low income housing..always ask 1st

Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Default Radon Gas

I have been doing some research. Is Radon Gas a problem in some tampa areas? is it as bad as it sounds? Should I avoid places that list Radon Gas in the home/rental?

Please help..

Thank you

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
borrowed off a website I found, just google and you will find more info.,,,

There are cracks in the foundation. Nothing structural or that's going to threaten the stability of the Florida home, but they're there. Nooks, crannies and holes through which seeps an invisible threat. Colorless, odorless and undetectable by your average human, it is none the less the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.

Radon gas - even the name sounds ominous, evoking images of radiation and nuclear devastation. Radon gas is created naturally when uranium in the soil decays. The gas then seeps through any access point into a home. Common entry points are cracks in the foundation, poorly sealed pipes, drainage or any other loose point. Once in the home, the gas can collect in certain areas - especially basements and other low-lying, closed areas - and build up over time to dangerous levels. The Environmental Protection Agency of the US Government has set a threshold of 4 pico curies per liter as the safe level. As humans are exposed to the gas over a period of years, it can have a significant and detrimental effect.

How Widespread Is The Problem?

Radon has been found in homes in all 50 states. Certain areas are more susceptible than others - Radon Zone Map, but no location is immune. Concentrations of radon-causing materials in the soil can be either natural or man-made. Homes built near historic mining operations may be at higher risk. The only way to tell for sure is to have the home tested.

Testing for radon comes in two forms: active and passive. Active devices constantly measure the levels of radon in a portion of the home and display those results. Passive devices collect samples over a period of time and then are taken away and analyzed. Either method can help you determine your level of risk. Do-it-yourself kits are available from a number of outlets, normally with passive devices. Over a period of days, the device is left in the lowest level of the home which is normally occupied. This eliminates crawl spaces under the house, but includes finished or unfinished basements. Then the results are analyzed by a professional. The other option is to engage a qualified professional to conduct the tests properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay