Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times

Advertisements

The majority of families living in newer communities and commuting to MacDill live in the Brandon/Riverview area indeed. As previous posters said, there are newer homes to the North as well, but the daily commute to MacDill is arduous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsx3 View Post
My husband will Commute to Mac Dill from our home in Land O Lakes, it will take right at an 1hr.
Alot depends on where you live, time of day and the route taken.

Has he already driven it during rush hour? What route and what time of day? It can take an hour to just get to RayJ during rush hour from LOL and you still at least another 20 minutes or more to get to MacDill if you go on Dale Mabry.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 10,200 times
thanks again everyone...
you've given me lots to think about and research! I'm thinking we will probably start out in a rental house in Brandon or Riverview and take it from there. It's hard to tell exactly how much "stuff" is in and around these areas just by looking at a map on google...
We have a home here in VA that we will have to rent out, so how things play out with that will play a big part in what our budget will be when it comes time to buy.
I appreciate all of the help!
Anyone have any pros or cons to Riverview in general?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 AM

81 posts, read 231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Newts View Post
Anyone have any pros or cons to Riverview in general?
I moved away from Riverview due to taking a new job opportunity but can say the following about my exeprience living there with my wife and 2 small kids.

Riverview schools are not the best and not the worst you will find in the Tampa area. They are probably right in the middle. Very similar to the home prices relative to the other areas.

Cookie cutter communities are plentiful in the Riverview area and you can really find some exceptional deals (even in relation to the current housing bust) on homes in that area these days due to the perception (right or wrong) of Riverview not being as up to par as some of the other nice areas around Tampa (Fishawk, Lutz, Carrollwood, Brandon, New Tampa, etc.).

Shopping access was great IMO...less than 10 minutes from almost any big box stores (Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Restaraunts, Blockbuster, etc.) and maybe 15 minutes from Brandon Mall.

Safe place to live. I never felt like I had to be overly mindful of people when going to stores or being out and about. Though...certainly the more affluent an area to more "safe" it is likely to make you feel. YMMV.

Easy access to I-75 compared to some of the other areas. Likely under 45 minutes commute to/from MacDill barring major accidents (which all bets are off no matter where you live in that case). I lived in New Tampa for a few years and can tell you it took me 20-30 mins just to get ON I-75 from BB Downs in the mornings depending on the window of time I left in. I liked the place other than that, though. I know they've been working on it the past few years so I can't comment on how it is today...but if your commute to MacDill is likely to be rush hour commutes...plan where you live carefully.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,561 times
I would recommend Valrico. The commute is not bad and the schools are great. You can take the Selmon Crosstown to MacDill.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 93,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Alot depends on where you live, time of day and the route taken.

Has he already driven it during rush hour? What route and what time of day? It can take an hour to just get to RayJ during rush hour from LOL and you still at least another 20 minutes or more to get to MacDill if you go on Dale Mabry.
He has not made the commute yet as he is in Iraq, but I have several times. Straight down Dale Mabry leaving at 645 and made it in exactly an hour. He will typically leave earlier as his duty day typically starts at 7am. We are both born and raised in Tampa and I know Dale Mabry used to be much worse than it is now. I think 60 in Brandon is now worse than Dale Mabry!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,448 times
Hi. I am currently stationed at MacDill and will be transferring out of the area within the next 2 months. We live in FishHawk Ranch, which sounds exactly what you are looking for - very family friendly, close to suburbia, etc. There is also a free Express Bus Service to the base that is less than 5 minutes from my house your husband could use.

Moderator cut: email

Last edited by Keeper; 09-21-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Send him a Direct message or email.. sorry you can not advertise here

Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM

188 posts, read 332,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Newts View Post
Hello,
We will be relocating to the Tampa area within the next few months. My husband will be working at MacDill AFB. We are looking for a family friendly suburb where we can live with our one year old.
My husband grew up in FL, so we are aware of all of the concerns others may have regarding hurricanes, rain, humidity, bugs, etc...as well as the insurance costs. I am from the metro Detroit area, so I'm familiar with HOA's and such.
I have searched thru other posts, but I'm not sure if any of them address exactly what we're looking for...
We are looking for what most would call "cookie cutter" or "vanilla khaki" suburbs. May sound boring to some, but it's how I grew up and it just feels right to us. We are happy when we see Applebees and Target.
We won't mind a little drive to downtown if we feel like doing something specail, but an "artsy" neighborhood isn't important to us.
Our son is only 14 months, but we plan on staying for a while, so schools are very important.
We will be renting first to get a feel of exactly where we feel will be a good home for us - we've moved a lot and don't want to make mistakes we've made in the past too quickly.
So far, I think we've narrowed it down to Brandon or Riverview...
Good choices? Any other places that are north of the AFB or Tampa that we should consider? Commute time is important, but anything less than an hour is fine.
Thanks in advance, sorry if it's kind of long!
I know this post is a couple years old, but I would love to know where you decided to live and what you think of it. We are possibly relocating to the Tampa area within a couple months and I think exactly like you do! I want new, vanilla khaki (never heard that before, but I like it!) suburbia. I don't need or want to be near downtown. Low crime, good schools, middle/upper-middle class neighborhood with playgrounds, pools, walking trails etc. is what matters to me most. Any pointers you can share are appreciated.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 AM

42 posts, read 98,605 times
Some friends of mine who retired out of MacDill moved to Fish Hawk Ranch and live it. I do not live in the area, though, so not sure about the commute. I am not certain if they lived there while working at MacDill. But they are very happy there, and have mentioned how family friendly it is. Also there are homes available in a wide price range.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,320 times
Are there artsy neighborhoods?we may be moving to lakeland, maybe only for 6 months and will need to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay