Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be relocating to the Tampa area within the next few months. My husband will be working at MacDill AFB. We are looking for a family friendly suburb where we can live with our one year old.
My husband grew up in FL, so we are aware of all of the concerns others may have regarding hurricanes, rain, humidity, bugs, etc...as well as the insurance costs. I am from the metro Detroit area, so I'm familiar with HOA's and such.
I have searched thru other posts, but I'm not sure if any of them address exactly what we're looking for...
We are looking for what most would call "cookie cutter" or "vanilla khaki" suburbs. May sound boring to some, but it's how I grew up and it just feels right to us. We are happy when we see Applebees and Target.
We won't mind a little drive to downtown if we feel like doing something specail, but an "artsy" neighborhood isn't important to us.
Our son is only 14 months, but we plan on staying for a while, so schools are very important.
We will be renting first to get a feel of exactly where we feel will be a good home for us - we've moved a lot and don't want to make mistakes we've made in the past too quickly.
So far, I think we've narrowed it down to Brandon or Riverview...
Good choices? Any other places that are north of the AFB or Tampa that we should consider? Commute time is important, but anything less than an hour is fine.
Thanks in advance, sorry if it's kind of long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Look into New Tampa area, such as West Meadows, Cross Creek, Pebble Creek. They are pretty much cookie cutter homes. Tampa Palms has a variety of style homes, so I would look there. New Tampa schools are pretty good.

The drive to MacDill will be hard.

You may also want to look into Valrico (Fish Hawk Ranch). That commute might be better for him. Though the homes can be pricey. I have heard the schools are good. You can check out www.greatschools.net. If you find areas that you are interested in, you can look up the schools in that area and see what the parents/teachers/students say about that school.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM

108 posts, read 308,223 times
A lot will depend on how much money you're looking to spend on a house. As the previous poster already mentioned, New Tampa fits your description very nicely. You might also consider the neighboring town of Wesley Chapel, just to the north. You say you won't mind a little drive, but one thing to keep in mind about New Tampa is that rush hour traffic in that area tends to get very bad.

You might also want to look into Lutz, which is a suburb just north of Tampa. Communities that might interest you in particular are Heritage Harbor, Calusa Trace, Willow Bend, and Cheval.

Also, the Westchase neighborhood in Tampa might interest you as well and it also has the benefit of a very convenient location that is close to everything.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
Riverview would be a good choice. It's a relatively easy commute to Macdill and very safe. SuperTarget and SuperWalmart are nearby.

In addition, housing is not very expensive here and you get a lot of house for your money. We don't have children so I'm not 100% on the schools but I've seen others on this board mention they are good for the area.

We're renting a 3 bed/2 ba pool home in Riverview for $1200 a month.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I agree with LoganFL, Lutz on Hillsborough Country side (33558) is exactly what you're describing....You'll like it here a LOT. Veterans (Toll Rd) >> Kennedy Blvd (Sr 60) >> Right on Westshore Blvd >> Left on Interbay >> Right on Tanker Way will take you straight down to McDill...

Yes, Riverview, Ruskin even may seem/be closer somewhat, but they are not as established as we are here in Lutz/Carrollwood....here there is just more retail...restaurants etc.

We looked at that area too when we first moved here and haven't been convinced ......matter of opinion I guess. We just like all the conveniences we have up here including better schools....

Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,200 times
Thanks for the help...
I'll look into the New Tampa area more. As well as some of the other places mentioned that are north of the base.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
New Tampa and Wesley Chapel are nice but it is a LONG drive to MacDill every day. Brandon is close to Riverview and you have everything there that you have in N. Tampa. Carrollwood and Lutz is an older area of Tampa and has some really nice nabes.

I would definitely check out work travel time before making any decision. If your DH doesn't mind spending an hour or more each way in traffic going to work then you can live just about anywhere in Tampa.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 AM

101 posts, read 530,285 times
I think from what you described that Westchase would fit the bill nicely.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I forgot...Westshore Yacht Club will be very close to McDill and it is a GORGEOUS community...You can Goggle it and you'll find their website...

Old 08-29-2009, 06:16 PM

24 posts, read 93,208 times
My husband will Commute to Mac Dill from our home in Land O Lakes, it will take right at an 1hr. We live in Connerton, we have a great community center with pool, playgrounds and plenty of good deals...but there also some new homes going up which is a good sign. We got a great deal on our house and we have low Pasco county taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay