Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM

838 posts, read 2,230,021 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in NY who is moving to Florida. He had a stroke resulting in traumatic brain injury (TBI) About 4 years ago. In NY, they have a TBI waiver sponsered by Medicaid to allow people who would otherwise have to live in nursing homes return to the community with assisted living. His income is from Social Security disability and the TBI waiver supplements this income paying for the aides that come in and stay with him, transportation, and various other services they provide. He has no savings. Things are complicated further due to the fact that he has several other serious illnesses and the prognosis is that he may have only a year or less left to live.
I am trying to find similar services for him here in Florida to the ones he has in NY but I don't really know where to start or who to call. He would like to live in the Lakeland area, but could live in Plant City if Hillsborough County provides services that Polk does not.
Do any of you Florida people know what services exist here in Florida for people who have suffered a traumatic brain injury? I saw a Florida TBI waiver, but it does not appear to be as comprehensive. Most of the assisted living apartments I have checked into require some kind of a lifetime fee to move in.
I'm kind of hoping that somewhere out there in city data land a social worker from the area or someone who works in an assisted living apartment program will read this and point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 12,722 times
Try APD's website at Agency for Persons with Disabilities - APD

Hope this helps

Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM

47 posts, read 150,100 times
Have you tried Hospice? I'm not sure what their guidelines are for acceptance other than the patient has to be terminal, but they have a fabulous live-in facility in Sun City. They allow for the family environment. even allowing pets, children, etc to stay with you. They cover most or all costs associated with healthcare, living.
My dad suffered cardiac arrest in March and hospice was a savior for sure. Once we signed for them to help, they took over everything. transportation, housing, counseling.... you name it.
I hope they are able to help you or offer you some more direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: