U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM

161 posts, read 410,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
FWIW, real estate in Hawaii is on par with major cities in the US now and actually a good deal cheaper than in some major US markets. Yes you pay tax on food, some of which is exempt in FL. However, when we bought a new car over there we only paid 4.5% which saved us several hundred dollars, and overall food ends up being a minor part of your budget if you're a smart shopper (Super WalMart, Costco, etc.)

I find it amusing that the liberals always say that money is not the driving factor in people's lives, but when public education comes up they always say we need to pay teachers more. The reality is that private teachers make less than public teachers, but private schools are consistently better. I know a couple of private school teachers. The both say they'd rather work with better kids, and parents who are involved... as opposed to making a few extra bucks teaching kids who don't want to learn and don't have parents that want them to learn.

You can learn a lot about a society just by watching how parents allow their children to behave in public. Just go shopping at the same types of stores in a variety of different neighborhoods. See if you can figure out, based on what you see, which neighborhoods probably have the best schools.

Also, I was born and raised in FL, I have spent 30 years of my life here. I've lived in central, north east , and now southwest FL. However, I never use the word "local", not do I go around bragging about being a "native" as a way to prove I somehow have a better argument than someone else. As far as I'm concerned, a person's opinions on issues in their community are something independent of their birthplace.

FWIW though, I've never led the life you are apparently referring to- the "easy" life- I worked and paid my way though a state university here in FL (which was excellent, unlike the public schools I went to) and have typically worked well beyond a 40 hour week in an effort to improve and open new doors for myself. I've seen people will all levels of disadvantage and handicap working jobs in this state. I've seen people who can barely move doing jobs like taking tickets at a movie theater, and people with severe mental handicaps bagging groceries or helping out at a fast food restaurant. I've seen new immigrants who can't even speak English at first work their way up. These people, in my book, are heros- they are driven by the core of American values, which is to be a producer- not a leech.

If you don't have this drive- e.g. you don't want to work, guess where you end up? You end up on an I-275 off ramp, holding up signs that are full of lies about how bad you are, and apparently even going so far as trying to convince people that you are mentally ill.
first, lets be clear, im not a liberal, and i dont vote democrat. second, youve just give more of your personal impressions without any hard evidence.

Hawaii's cost of living in all areas, except perhaps utilities, is significantly higher than in our area. As mentioned before, sales tax, though lower, is on EVERYTHING ONE BUYS, and that this tips the scale toward HIGHER TAXES IN HAWAII

in concerns of schools, youve skewed things a bit. Though private school teachers in Florida make slightly less (yes slightly) than public schools teachers, the difference is not enough to put them into different economic brackets. More importantly, you failed to mention class sizes, money spent per student, teacher training & support, new teacher retention, and room sizes for florida public schools (not to mention pedagogical approaches). These issues obviously significantly effect the situation. last year i was helping a public school teacher who had over 40 students in all 5 of her classes. We pay our teachers the least in the 50 states, but that is only a small fraction of the conversation. i suggest checking how much we spend on every aspect of education compared to the other schools. simplifying as you have, grossly overlooks the many factors involved in some private school success stories.

parents raising their kids by neighborhood and school quality? you must not be familiar with our education system. i suggest googling school choice and florida, as well as taking a look at the statistics of students that attend schools which are not their "home" schools.

i bring up being a local, not to back up my argument (As ive already done with some statistics, not personal impressions), but to point out that many transplants rail against taxes and the leeches, but also often came down here to escape their problems and come to the land of plenty.

further, are you familiar with which and how many businesses hire developmentally delayed (the right term), etc people? just because you see that ONE deaf person at publix bagging your groceries once in awhile, doesnt count for much. it is incredibly difficult for the various people you mention to get stable work.

faking schizophrenia? seriously? again, scientific studies by numerous independent organizations have show that up to 80% of floridas homeless are severely mentally ill. its not hard to find many in tampa bay who are incapable of even carrying on a conversation; i gave one bottled water last week and she was talking, but not to me. i suggest googling dsm 4 and schizophrenia. also, taking a look at the literature concerning biological tests for schizophrenia.

american values? i dont know what that means. instead of the "i got mine, ftw" attitude, why dont we give our state social institutions a boost and try to catch up with at least some of the other states in terms of standards of living, while also helping each other out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 22,534 times
Why should we assume 3% inflation? It is our money. We worked for it. Why don't they protect the value of our savings.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM

119 posts, read 169,206 times
Talking Big deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Here is what will happen to the fees as of Tuesday:

Driver's licenses

•New license: increasing from $27 to $48

•License renewal: increasing from $20 to $48

•Delinquent renewal: increasing from $1 to $15

•License replacement: increasing from $10 to $25

Vehicle registration

•Compact cars of less than 2,500 pounds (example: Honda Civic) and trucks of less than 2,000 pounds: increasing from $28.10 to $46.65

•Midsize cars 2,500 to 3,499 pounds (example: Toyota Camry) and trucks 2,000 to 3,000 pounds: increasing from $36.10 to $57.65

•Large cars 3,500 pounds or more (example: Lincoln Town Car) and trucks 3,000 to 4,999 pounds (example: Toyota Tundra): increasing from $46.10 to $71.15

•Antique car or truck: increasing from $21.10 to $37.40

•Motorcycles: increasing from $24.60 to $41.65

Initial registration fee: increasing from $100 to $225

Other fee increases

A host of other vehicle-related fees are also going up Tuesday:

•License plate replacement: increasing from $20.10 to $43.15

•In-state title transfers: increasing from $29.75 to $75.75

•Out-of-state title transfers: increasing from $33.75 to $85.75

•Duplicate titles: increasing from $29.75 to $75.75

•Boat registrations: varies by length, currently from $13.50 to $289.88; to increase by $2 across-the-board

•Mobile home registrations: varies by length, currently from $26.60 to $86.60; to increase by $5.25 across-the-board.

Fees for registration, license rise Tuesday
I moved here from Washington State, over sixteen years ago. Back then my registration on my Mazda pickup was over a hundred dollars a year! If I had a large pickup, it would have been much higher, since they use the MSRP to figure out the fees.
For a drivers license the fee was $60, and you had to wait 90 days before it came in the mail. We were also paying over $1.65 a gallon for gas.
I have never lived in such a place full of cheapskates as Florida!

Taxes pay for the infrastructure of a community. It is obvious why Florida has the worst roads, schools and public transportation. The residents here are too cheap to pay for them!

Last edited by Kenny48; 10-09-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,152,005 times
The residents wound NOT be cheap if their salaries measured up to the economy and inflation.......but now everything went up in prices EXCEPT people's salaries! I am daily asked for work for free or for peanuts!!!!!!! when what I do in NY or DC for example is paid at at least $1500 per job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

161 posts, read 410,165 times
i disagree algia

i think everyone is cheap here because even the youth grow up with tourist and elderly mentalities of being on vacation permanently and living off of social security.

true enough that we need higher pay here, but as ive mentioned, we also very obviously need higher taxes.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,152,005 times
that is also true....but employees here are not really paid per job difficulty, they are paid by what the "private sector employer" feels is enough for him to make large profits.......employers here don't have the best interest in mind for their employees, just for themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or