U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM

85 posts, read 206,513 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to the Tampa area and to be honest I'm a lot more familiar with the Sunny Isles area but would like to be more mid state if possible.
I've been reading through quite a few posts in here and have seen people say that if they're from Tampa and go to Houston that the Houston humidity is oppressive to them.
Those of you who live in the Tampa area, have you been to Houston during the summer and if so did the humidity feel worse in Houston?
Thank you for any help you can give me. I feel really confused about where to move to in Florida and just this topic can make or break the Tampa area for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,401,460 times
I have been to Houston in the summer and it was really freaking hot, but I have a hard time beleiving that their humidity is worse than Tampa's. Just to compare, at the moment humidity in Tampa is 95%, it is 76º, and the dew point is at 74º. It feels like you are swimming through air right now. In Houston, the humidity is 71%, it is 72º, and their dewpoint is only 62º. For right now at least, the humidity is definitely worse in Tampa.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,580,949 times
Humidity doesn't seem to bother me, it's the heat. The few times I've been to Houston, I thought it was really hot compared to Tampa.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 AM

15,755 posts, read 32,814,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have been to Houston in the summer and it was really freaking hot, but I have a hard time beleiving that their humidity is worse than Tampa's. Just to compare, at the moment humidity in Tampa is 95%, it is 76º, and the dew point is at 74º. It feels like you are swimming through air right now. In Houston, the humidity is 71%, it is 72º, and their dewpoint is only 62º. For right now at least, the humidity is definitely worse in Tampa.
That's because it's raining here! I hate Houston, it is freaking hot, and the air is some of the worst in the country. Would not live there if you gave me a house and paid me a salary.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,401,460 times
Yes, and for a long stretch of summer it rains here basically every day. The WeatherUnderground has the data if anyone wants to compare a greater data set to determine if it really is more humid in Houston in the summertime than in Tampa. I'm just saying, I have a hard time believing it. Tampa is a pretty humid place during the hot part of the year.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,958,630 times
Tampa is much more hot and humid year round when you compare it to Houston. The only break you get here is the frequent rain, once it stops, and the sun comes out it is worse than before the rain started.

Houston has a very pleasant fall while Tampa is still melting. They have mid 70s to 80s while Tampa is still in the 90s.

If OP is concerned about hot and humid please note it goes on here months after Houston is cooling down. I would say the discomfort level is about the same as here as in Houston in the summer, but in Houston it doesn't last as long. By October you're going to see a change, that isn't the case here.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,885,446 times
You can compare the humidity and temps here. If you check you will see there is really not much difference. Houston has higher humidity and temps in the AM and PM than Tampa in the summer.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,767,766 times
I have some friends that moved from Tampa to Houston, and say its is so much harder for them to breathe in Houston than it was in Tampa...they also note that since Tampa is closer to a large body of water, there was usually a breeze that they dont quite get in Houston, and the daily brief summer thunderstorms that always cooled it off in Tampa.

The first cold fronts typically move through Tampa around October 11th-15th...this brings much drier air to the state from mid-October through May.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM

85 posts, read 206,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You can compare the humidity and temps here. If you check you will see there is really not much difference. Houston has higher humidity and temps in the AM and PM than Tampa in the summer.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html
I've checked all the weather sites but what's written doesn't tell you what it feels like. For instance, we're hot and humid much of the year..from late Feb/early March through Nov. From Nov through Feb it's up for grabs if you'll have your ac or heater on but one of them will be on. There are NO days without one or the other. New Orleans runs about the same in humidity that we do however I can't breathe in their humidity if it's hot out unless a storm comes in. I think that's where the dew point comes into play but I don't understand it.
I talked to my gf today and she was saying that she had her windows open early this morning. Were you able to do that in the Tampa area (which isn't far from her in Largo I believe). Is it really possible to open windows in the early am or pm?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 AM

15,755 posts, read 32,814,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
I've checked all the weather sites but what's written doesn't tell you what it feels like. For instance, we're hot and humid much of the year..from late Feb/early March through Nov. From Nov through Feb it's up for grabs if you'll have your ac or heater on but one of them will be on. There are NO days without one or the other. New Orleans runs about the same in humidity that we do however I can't breathe in their humidity if it's hot out unless a storm comes in. I think that's where the dew point comes into play but I don't understand it.
I talked to my gf today and she was saying that she had her windows open early this morning. Were you able to do that in the Tampa area (which isn't far from her in Largo I believe). Is it really possible to open windows in the early am or pm?
You know, we can give you our opinions all day long, but until you come here and experience it for yourself you just aren't going to know how it feels to you. I have been to Houston and New Orleans and hate both - to me, it is much hotter and more humid there. I think Tampa has pleasant weather, and yes some of the mornings and evenings now do feel nice enough to open windows. Mind you, that is MY opinion, there are others here who won't agree. We just can't give you any guarantees, which it seems is what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or