U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM

161 posts, read 409,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonracer View Post
Just what we need; more cops.

The schools here are such war zones that I pulled my kids after kindergarten. I'd prefer to have their funding cut even further since the idea of paying taxes for a school system that I don't use and does a lousy job at what it's supposed to do is repugnant to me.
just like so many old people around florida that think they shouldnt have to pay for services they arent using anymore.

i hear we should only have to pay taxes for the initiatives we agree with and use personally. we'll have a convenient tax fill-out form for each person in the state to say exactly where they think their individual money should and shouldnt be going.

why is it right when taxes come up on the florida board, we have to listen to a bunch of people's general, vague, and emotionally-driven perceptions of the matter?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM

17,804 posts, read 22,026,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
We're moving out of state but not because of taxes. It's mainly because the declining education system.
In order for the schools to decline they would have to been good at one time. FL has always ranked near the bottom of the 50 states in regards to education.

Currently it is 45 out of the 50 states is students completing HS.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM

910 posts, read 1,984,640 times
I got that link from my son, I knew people were leaving but at the West Palm Beach forum people wouldn't believe it last year, now it's "official"...

Some things have been going up here, like the cost of electricity (although FPL said next year it's going down I think due to lower fuel cost), and the gas we use in our stove and water heater. I was also very surprised to see the cost of renewing my car registration went up over $20 for one year. I'm also sick of seeing food prices go up, I'd believed it was mainly due to fuel prices going up in '07 but after they came down they still keep going up so now I really have to stick to sales. As for rents, they haven't gone down from what I can see, probably because of the hurricane insurance people are required to pay. But for the time being I'm staying here, I was considering NC or SC but too many people have flocked there, especially NC, that unemployment there is probably worse than here and there's things I don't like such as car inspections which were done away here in '98 or '99, and vehicle property tax which we don't have to pay here.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 PM

910 posts, read 1,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
just like so many old people around florida that think they shouldnt have to pay for services they arent using anymore.

i hear we should only have to pay taxes for the initiatives we agree with and use personally. we'll have a convenient tax fill-out form for each person in the state to say exactly where they think their individual money should and shouldnt be going.

why is it right when taxes come up on the florida board, we have to listen to a bunch of people's general, vague, and emotionally-driven perceptions of the matter?
I think it's absurd for people to only want to pay for what they use, that's selfish and is NOT the way a civilized society works, everyone at some point or another is paying for what others use because it works better for the good of ALL, period. Thank God we Christians are very clear on that since Jesus said "to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, etc." On the other hand, I believe heavy taxes are justified apply for luxury or unnecessary things such as tobacco, alcohol, sweets, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM

85 posts, read 207,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Texas has worse property taxes than we do, and also has high insurance rates if you want to live in the coastal areas..
I don't know what your taxes are but I live in Corpus Christi on the Gulf and we pay about 300+ per month for property taxes on each 100,000

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,566,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
I don't know what your taxes are but I live in Corpus Christi on the Gulf and we pay about 300+ per month for property taxes on each 100,000
We are about $125 a month on each $100,000 and have a homestead exemption that takes $50,000 off the assessed value.

$300 a month is extremely steep.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM

85 posts, read 207,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
We are about $125 a month on each $100,000 and have a homestead exemption that takes $50,000 off the assessed value.

$300 a month is extremely steep.
I could be wrong but I think our homestead exemption is 75,000. I think our taxes are a bit steep too!
Edited to add: The cheapest deductable we can get on homeowners insurance is 10% of the value of the house. Those of us who live too close to the water were dumped by all of the major insurance companies and the only one left is Allstate or a no name

Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,136,414 times
People always complain about taxes, the truth of the matter is pretty simple:
1. the money is being highly mismanaged and barely reach destination
2. if you calculated how much more you're paying for things such as health insurance, you would realize that a tax increase (given the money is properly managed) would actually SAVE you money in the long run!

In Europe we do have higher taxes, but the quality of life and respect for citizens and their rights is so much higher you have no idea! and the quality of services received by people is much higher.

Here is a sad example as to how the US is treating new parents:
Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could dig up same for schools etc.....

Florida/Tampa is not seen as a "productive state/city", but more so as a vacation state/city, people don't move here because of our awesome colleges and schools........they move here because they are sick of the cold (a frivolous reason as far as I am concerned that has kids deprived of good education) giving up the GOOD schools/colleges and only contribute to the continuous modern day slavery called "working on minimum wage!"

Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 AM

26,760 posts, read 41,182,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
People always complain about taxes, the truth of the matter is pretty simple:
1. the money is being highly mismanaged and barely reach destination
2. if you calculated how much more you're paying for things such as health insurance, you would realize that a tax increase (given the money is properly managed) would actually SAVE you money in the long run!

In Europe we do have higher taxes, but the quality of life and respect for citizens and their rights is so much higher you have no idea! and the quality of services received by people is much higher.

Here is a sad example as to how the US is treating new parents:
Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could dig up same for schools etc.....

Florida/Tampa is not seen as a "productive state/city", but more so as a vacation state/city, people don't move here because of our awesome colleges and schools........they move here because they are sick of the cold (a frivolous reason as far as I am concerned that has kids deprived of good education) giving up the GOOD schools/colleges and only contribute to the continuous modern day slavery called "working on minimum wage!"
I don't know where you have lived in Europe and how long but I have lived there for decades...

Where do you see (except for the UK) people wait in a nice line for a public transportation....no where, if they can run you over to get in they will, same counts for an elevator, if you want out, better be quick otherwise you be stuck by the people coming in!
Waiting in a grocery store for sliced meat, etc...How many times do you hear after people have given what they needed "oh, I'm sorry I didn't know you were in front of me"! they never ask upfront who is next, otherwise than the employee and they don't care who is next, neither does the customer as long as it is them!

People are rude and only lately some stores have come to realize that politeness would set them aside from other stores since the economy isn't that great.

Just one example of money spend well....in Europe!
DutchNews.nl - €100m given to 'wrong universities'

Health care is another subject...how many cuts in treatments did we have over the years....too many to mention...death panels are for real....
My father in laws death was decided by his wife (with dementia) her brother she hardly spoke with over 20 years and the doctors...their son wasn't part of it since he could say that his father didn't want to die that way, but he lived abroad and was called after the decision, not that it mattered, the Hosipital needed the bed...it saved costs!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM

161 posts, read 409,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't know where you have lived in Europe and how long but I have lived there for decades...

Where do you see (except for the UK) people wait in a nice line for a public transportation....no where, if they can run you over to get in they will, same counts for an elevator, if you want out, better be quick otherwise you be stuck by the people coming in!
Waiting in a grocery store for sliced meat, etc...How many times do you hear after people have given what they needed "oh, I'm sorry I didn't know you were in front of me"! they never ask upfront who is next, otherwise than the employee and they don't care who is next, neither does the customer as long as it is them!

People are rude and only lately some stores have come to realize that politeness would set them aside from other stores since the economy isn't that great.

Just one example of money spend well....in Europe!
DutchNews.nl - €100m given to 'wrong universities'

Health care is another subject...how many cuts in treatments did we have over the years....too many to mention...death panels are for real....
My father in laws death was decided by his wife (with dementia) her brother she hardly spoke with over 20 years and the doctors...their son wasn't part of it since he could say that his father didn't want to die that way, but he lived abroad and was called after the decision, not that it mattered, the Hosipital needed the bed...it saved costs!
people dont form nice lines to get on the subway? are you serious? do they do that anywhere in the world? people willing to tell lies to get ahead? you speak as if youve never lived in a big city.

European nations rank significantly higher in terms of ALL types of medical care. Let me repeat that: ALL. the usa is ranked damn low in terms of our quality of care, extremely low, tragically low, when compared to other nations (nearly all of which have universal health care).

im kinda with algea on this one: an overwhelming amount of empirical EVIDENCE suggests that higher taxes form better social institutions while also raising the quality of living significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or