U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 AM

108 posts, read 279,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
im kinda with algea on this one: an overwhelming amount of empirical EVIDENCE suggests that higher taxes form better social institutions while also raising the quality of living significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY!
You can't be serious.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,120,847 times
I lived in Europe 27 years, and traveled throughout it for 10 years before coming here!!!........Sure there are countries where there are a lot of rude people, but have you walked into a Publix in Lauderhill??? (in Fort Lauderdale) they give you the death look for bothering them with your groceries!!!!!!!! no joke! Plus, let's NOT forget that rudeness comes from bad parenting and not teaching manners early enough to stick! I will never blame rude people on a country's Government!!!!!!! or the country itself!

But, have you walked into a Karstadt? Kaufhof? any mom and pop stores around Italy, Germany? Spain?? Let me not start about HOW CLEAN those department stores really are, cause you can lick the floors!!! walk into a JC Penney and you can't believe how much dirt is on their floors......

Death clinics actually are NOT mandatory, but why not give people a choice? especially if they deal with horrible diseases?????????? why spend tax dollars to keep them alive when they'll die anyways and in more pain and suffering??? why put them through that....if they want to go that route, then at least they have the option and make it easier on their families rather than making them spectators to a horrible and inevitable end.

I have seen people waiting nice in lines everywhere! I am not sure where have you been hanging out? buses come every 5 minutes! and are VERY CLEAN! and ELECTRIC in some countries! a concept foreign here STILL!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,533,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I lived in Europe 27 years, and traveled throughout it for 10 years before coming here!!!........Sure there are countries where there are a lot of rude people, but have you walked into a Publix in Lauderhill??? (in Fort Lauderdale) they give you the death look for bothering them with your groceries!!!!!!!! no joke! Plus, let's NOT forget that rudeness comes from bad parenting and not teaching manners early enough to stick! I will never blame rude people on a country's Government!!!!!!! or the country itself!

But, have you walked into a Karstadt? Kaufhof? any mom and pop stores around Italy, Germany? Spain?? Let me not start about HOW CLEAN those department stores really are, cause you can lick the floors!!! walk into a JC Penney and you can't believe how much dirt is on their floors......

Death clinics actually are NOT mandatory, but why not give people a choice? especially if they deal with horrible diseases?????????? why spend tax dollars to keep them alive when they'll die anyways and in more pain and suffering??? why put them through that....if they want to go that route, then at least they have the option and make it easier on their families rather than making them spectators to a horrible and inevitable end.

I have seen people waiting nice in lines everywhere! I am not sure where have you been hanging out? buses come every 5 minutes! and are VERY CLEAN! and ELECTRIC in some countries! a concept foreign here STILL!!!
I am curious what brought you here.

It seems like you would have been so much happier over there.

One thing though, to compare anywhere with Lauderhill is not a good comparison. Lauderhill was, is and I am pretty sure will always be a dump.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM

What brought me here was work and family and don't get me wrong I am very happy here, but as with anywhere ELSE, there is always room for improvement, that's my theory, pretending that EVERYTHING IS pink and peachy is unrealistic and valid for every country on this earth!

Of course Lauderhill is a dump...I am not arguing that and I could have probably given you a better example of rudeness around.......I just happened to notice that more ONLY because it was a Publix store in question, 90% of Publix stores are GREAT in customer service, so THAT to us was a bit striking that Publix allowed for such employees! I could have just referenced Walmart!!! since the ONLY nice Walmart I've seen so far was in Olean, NY! where they were all smiles and nice as can be and they didn't check bags as they do on all Walmart's all over FL!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,579,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
[color=Navy]I got that link from my son, I knew people were leaving but at the West Palm Beach forum people wouldn't believe it last year, now it's "official"...
And I STILL maintain that's its become overall cheaper the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredofSoFla
I was also very surprised to see the cost of renewing my car registration went up over $20 for one year.
Fees haven't kept up with the cost of inflation. Of course, it sucks, but that's the way it is.

Quote:
I'm also sick of seeing food prices go up, I'd believed it was mainly due to fuel prices going up in '07 but after they came down they still keep going up so now I really have to stick to sales.
Funny you should mention that:

Have you noticed your food bill going down? Cost savings being passed to consumers (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/content/business/epaper/2009/09/09/0908shopping.html - broken link)

Quote:
As for rents, they haven't gone down from what I can see, probably because of the hurricane insurance people are required to pay.
In 2007 I moved to a condo downtown. I paid $1500/month for the 2 bedroom unit in a full service building. Today, I can find comparable units for $200 - $300 less.

Same thing with homes in the area. A house that is for sale for $700000 is also renting at $2500/month!!

In fact, now that I am a homeowner, my property insurance went DOWN about 10% over last year. My taxes went down to.... from $7500 the first year based on previous owner's tax bill, to $5500 based on sale, to $3700 this year.

Quote:
But for the time being I'm staying here, I was considering NC or SC but too many people have flocked there, especially NC, that unemployment there is probably worse than here
Yeap:

NC unemployment rate is 11.1%

SC is 11.8%

FL is 11%.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM

17 posts, read 129,138 times
dont look to move to Georgia to save. Just got my taxes this year and they went up $$.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,326,912 times
Default My taxes were over $9,000 on LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Your taxes are nowhere near what people in the NY/NJ area pay so I wouldn't complain if I was you. JMO

They are $2,500 in Florida. As I said before, there are some things than money cannot compensate for.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 AM

3,757 posts, read 7,773,291 times
I was of the belief that no income tax was a benefit. We ended up having our children in private school to the tune of $30K annually. Once we moved to a state with income tax but markedly better schools and put them in public school - I realized for us no state tax was not a win. Not to mentioned having accessible, sensible public transit and real public parks/areas that are communities.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,579,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I was of the belief that no income tax was a benefit. We ended up having our children in private school to the tune of $30K annually. Once we moved to a state with income tax but markedly better schools and put them in public school - I realized for us no state tax was not a win. Not to mentioned having accessible, sensible public transit and real public parks/areas that are communities.

Yes, because ALLL of the state of Florida is exactly the same. NOWHERE in the state are there good schools, public parks, or community neighborhoods.

Nice broad brush you wield.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 AM

...taxes have their purpose, if you calculate how much MORE you end up paying (e.g. $30k for private schools) you'd realize that IF we did have an income tax things may improve...BUT in order to IMPROVE, you do have to have people in these Gov positions deciding all this who have the same interests as you and I do...If whomever has the power to decide all this, already had their kids through private schools, homeowners insurance is pocket change for them and they are with one leg out in retirement, ALL will fall on deaf ears and NOTHING will ever change. As you can read around, people in local Gov's ride private airplanes and waste tax payers money on THAT! instead of assigning it to a music program!!!!!!!! or BETTER EDUCATED TEACHERS! and NEVER have portables AGAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or