U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 20,412 times

Advertisements

Our family are planning on moving to Florida. The places we are considering are Dunedin, Bradenton and Sarasota. I'm white, my wife has East Indian descent,she's from the caribbean. We have two children. What we want to know is if there is racial prejudice in these places or are everybody accepted for who they are? Looking forward to your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,548,046 times
I know Dunedin the best of all 3 of those but know the other 2 areas pretty well and I don't think you would have a problem in any of those areas.

You will find some predjudice everywhere but these areas I have not heard of any issues.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:51 PM

316 posts, read 968,256 times
I find this question somewhat amazing. In this day the whites are actually the minority, yet there is still concern for racial predudice... It reminds me of a movie I saw and the couple was told that since they wanted to get married they had better know there won't be a day in their life that they won't be looked at and questioned (that being the mild side).

I think the point I'm trying to make is - you can't keep on hand picking and filtering. You control your life and direction not the color of your skin. If you do that then you are just as predudice as what you are trying to stay away from.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,085,569 times
Trust me, you'll fit right in down here.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 PM

663 posts, read 991,469 times
You being white may be a problem. I have noticed over the last decade or so Affirmative action has become much more prevalent down here. Where I work we have Minority ONLY scholarships.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,994,957 times
Well they fly a huge confederate flag where the two intersates meet in Tampa. You do see a lot of mixed race couples here, but there is a redneck mentality that still exists. Lots of cars with the conferderate flag in the window or on the car bumper.

Tampa schools were still segregated into the 1970's. In Herando County about 40 miles north of Tampa they still have a "whites only" cemetary in Brooksville,FL.

Not saying everyone is running around here in white sheets, but this is only place I have ever lived were the N word has come out of people's mouths in casual conversation.

My mouth dropped open the first time it happened. These are people that you don't even know but they assume because your both white you share their views.

You are smart to ask, while there are a lot of transplants make no mistake there are plenty of good ole boy rednecks who still think it is 1952.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,444,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Tampa schools were still segregated into the 1970's.
I don't think they were officially integrated (in the Feds' eyes) until around 2001.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,486,696 times
Tell me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
I find this question somewhat amazing. In this day the whites are actually the minority, yet there is still concern for racial predudice... It reminds me of a movie I saw and the couple was told that since they wanted to get married they had better know there won't be a day in their life that they won't be looked at and questioned (that being the mild side).

I think the point I'm trying to make is - you can't keep on hand picking and filtering. You control your life and direction not the color of your skin. If you do that then you are just as predudice as what you are trying to stay away from.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,435,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom44 View Post
Our family are planning on moving to Florida. The places we are considering are Dunedin, Bradenton and Sarasota. I'm white, my wife has East Indian descent,she's from the caribbean. We have two children. What we want to know is if there is racial prejudice in these places or are everybody accepted for who they are? Looking forward to your answers.
Does it have to be one of those three? I think you will be fine, but just curious if you are open to other parts of Florida. Yes, there is racial prejudice there, but there is where you live too, and it's not known to be a huge issue in any of those three cities. Just blend and I am doubtful that anyone will notice or care about ethnicity. Still, if you want to be around a large community of east Indian people of Caribbean descent, you should check out Miramar in Southeast Florida, which is one of the better communities in the area and probably has the largest of such a community in the US.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 AM

274 posts, read 574,529 times
I was not in Tampa but I lived in St. Petersburg for 3 1/2 years which is just across the bridge. I am white and I dated a Caribbean girl from Trinidad for 2 years. We lived together, held hands everywhere we went, kissed in public and were always showing each other affection. We never had anyone say anything to us or even look twice, or if they didn't I wasn't paying attention. We had about 8 couples that used to hang out with on a constant bases and 4 of those couples were mixed race also. I also dated a Jamaican girl for about 6 months and it was the same thing, we didn't have any issues with anyone saying anything. From my personal experiences I had ZERO issues.

The St. Pete area had a good mix of people. I had friends from all races and backgrounds. If you pay it NO attention you will be fine. It's going on 2010, live your life and don't let other people's ignorance about other races and cultures deter you guys away from living your dream.

When you move to FL, be sure to check out the local Caribbean festivals. You can google them to find the dates.Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando, Miami each has their own festivals on different dates. Just google Caribbean festival and city. Friendly people, great music and great food!!

Just as "Compelled to reply" said the more you got down towards South FL, you will find bigger Caribbean communities. I had a friend in Pembroke Pines which is close to Ft. Lauderdale and not too far from Miami. She had a party that I went to and I think there was a few people from every Caribbean Island there, so it was a very good mix of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or