Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,007 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa, and my neighbor is encroaching approximately 5 or 6 feet onto my property. The source of the confusion is what I understand is there is a 'closed alley' that at one point the prior owners couldn't close in with a fence but now you can and both neighbors on my left and right' fence goes back into the 'closed alley' but I haven't had the chance to. Now my new back-door neighbor put up a privacy fence he put it right along my fence which was set back 5-6 feet for this old 'closed alley' rule. Now I am thinking about selling the house and I want that land back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,607,905 times
I guess you need a lawyer!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 PM

807 posts, read 3,178,301 times
Check your survey, if the fence is on your property, ask your neighbor to move it soon. I believe that if you allow it to stay, he may be able to 'claim' that property as his own. I would think that if he just bought the property he's on, there would be a recent survey of his lot and the fence company would use that to set the fence. If he did this on his own, don't let him test you. If the fence is on your lot, have him move it or remove it yourself. 5 or 6 feet is a hell of an oversight.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,643,355 times
Get your property surveyed. It's a few hundred dollars and will clarify the property lines. This is particularly important if you intend to sell.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,068,260 times
Should not have to pay more than $350 unless it's a huge property. When you purchased the house you would have had a survey done if you had a mortgage - the banks usually want one for their own purposes, do you have a copy with your closing information.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 AM

214 posts, read 676,693 times
Talk to a real estate attorney. I can tell you that in Illinois, if you let somebody encroach on your property for some number of years, your land legally becomes their land.

I had a fence issue two houses ago like that. But it was aesthetically more pleasing to leave the neighbor's fence where it was, so I didn't push the issue. I sold that house with no problems re: survey, etc.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,570,798 times
Call your county property appraiser and tell them your story. Ask them about the property lines and setbacks. Even though the alley is not being used as it was intended, the land probably still belongs to the county. If you don't have a survey, most property appraiser websites will have an aerial showing the boundary lines.

After you determine who really owns that piece of land, if the fence is on your property, it belongs to you. Have you talked with the neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay