U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM

85 posts, read 207,719 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Tampa area and have no clue where to look for a house. The company my husband works for has always moved us however this move is on our own. I'm used to them renting a motel for us, paying for meals, etc but this time it's us paying.
Can you rent a house in a good area without signing a lease? I'd like to buy but don't want to fly down there for a week, look around and buy a house since I don't know the area well enough to do that. If it's possible to rent monthly, any idea what a small 2 or 3 bedroom house would rent for?
Egads, I don't even know where to start!! Oh, and we have dogs which is probably going to make it harder to figure out what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 AM

180 posts, read 508,856 times
You could rent an Extended Stay motel for a week or 2 until you had a chance to drive around and check areas out. A lot of them allow dogs.
Here's a hotel listing website that shows dog friendly places
http://www.petswelcome.com/milkbone/map.html

For short term rentals check out
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner

Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,647,593 times
If you are coming now, there are tons of beach rentals crying out for business. I know I am!
Some do take dogs. VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)
look for the dogprint for the pet friendly ones. Good luck. Where is the job going to be, that might help posters offer advice, do you have children, are schools important, try and get a shopping list of needs together, and then add a few wants, and be prepared to compromise on a couple of those to get the right place good luck

Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,614 times
Default Where is your employer located?

The greater Tampa Bay is a huge sprawling area. It would help to know where your employer is located. Otherwise good advice might not turn out to be that helpful to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
We're moving to the Tampa area and have no clue where to look for a house. The company my husband works for has always moved us however this move is on our own. I'm used to them renting a motel for us, paying for meals, etc but this time it's us paying.
Can you rent a house in a good area without signing a lease? I'd like to buy but don't want to fly down there for a week, look around and buy a house since I don't know the area well enough to do that. If it's possible to rent monthly, any idea what a small 2 or 3 bedroom house would rent for?
Egads, I don't even know where to start!! Oh, and we have dogs which is probably going to make it harder to figure out what to do.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM

216 posts, read 767,049 times
I was in a similar situation just a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to move to St. Pete, but wanted to rent for a year or more before I bought a place. I also have a dog which made things much harder. Most rentals do not allow dogs, even small ones like my own. I was only interested in renting an apartment or condo. I did not want to rent a house, although with dogs my guess is that would make it easier to find a place.
I stayed in a motel for about 1.5 weeks until I found a suitable rental.
Check out Candlewood Suites in Clearwater - 49th & Ulmerton. This is a pet-friendly extended-stay motel. It had a well stocked kitchen, free laundry, fitness center, pool, etc. It's clean and far less expensive than any other motel I could find within a reasonable driving distance to St. Pete. It's definitely not a deluxe place but I wasn't on vacation; I just needed a roof over my head in a clean place.

All in all it took me about 1.5 weeks to find a suitable rental. I looked on my own but found it much easier with a realtor who really knew the different neighborhoods. He understood exactly what I was interested in and showed me everything available in my price range that fit my needs. I signed a one year lease, after which I can either renew or maybe I'll be ready to buy something.
Keep in mind that there is a 12% state tax imposed on rentals that are short term - I think for 6 months or less.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM

426 posts, read 1,124,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
If you are coming now, there are tons of beach rentals crying out for business. I know I am!
Some do take dogs. VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)
I second the VRBO, or similar route. We used it when relocating. We got a great house in a great neighborhood for a couple months, $2000/month including everything- all utilities, internet, etc. We could have gotten something cheaper too if we would have wanted it- just depends on what kind of house and where you want to be. This was sooooo much easier than signing a 7 month lease and worrying about having different utilities connected, paying connection charges, deposits, etc.

We actually rented two different houses in two different areas of town. It helped us a lot to be able to see what traffic was like, what the neighborhoods were like, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM

85 posts, read 207,719 times
Huge thank you all for the ideas. We're retiring so location is pretty much open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or